Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CES2008 - Official xStreamHD information

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

I got the okay from the people at XstreamHD to post their documents provided at CES.

So attached are the 4 documents...

Earl

Attached Files

Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

Our previous discussion thread on XstreamHD
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=115189
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   shadyB

shadyB

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

Another dish on the roof? No thanks. Unless this somehow integrates with a Dish or DirecTV satellite dish (I doubt it), this will cause problems. Most people do not want multiple dishes on their roof or property for aesthetic purposes. Also many HOA's only allow one dish per property, which will make this hard to sell. Those with cable will likely stick with their current video and HD on demand plus PPV selection they get through cable.

80 Mbps movies and downloads sound great, but a model like that can only grow so much before they run out of bandwidth. This service will sound appealing to the video-philes, early adopters, and the 1% bleeding edge technology buffs. However, to "Joe Consumer" the idea of a $400 box, a service contract, monthly fees, and PPV fees to do something he already has will be a tough sell. This is something that HD DVD and Blu-ray are already suffering to accomplish despite studio and large manufacturer backing.

I could be wrong, JMHO.

#4 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Earl! As always your awesome :)
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#5 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:28 PM

Another dish on the roof? No thanks. Unless this somehow integrates with a Dish or DirecTV satellite dish (I doubt it), this will cause problems. Most people do not want multiple dishes on their roof or property for aesthetic purposes. Also many HOA's only allow one dish per property, which will make this hard to sell. Those with cable will likely stick with their current video and HD on demand plus PPV selection they get through cable.

80 Mbps movies and downloads sound great, but a model like that can only grow so much before they run out of bandwidth. This service will sound appealing to the video-philes, early adopters, and the 1% bleeding edge technology buffs. However, to "Joe Consumer" the idea of a $400 box, a service contract, monthly fees, and PPV fees to do something he already has will be a tough sell. This is something that HD DVD and Blu-ray are already suffering to accomplish despite studio and large manufacturer backing.

I could be wrong, JMHO.

I think this more targeted at Netfilix. Its getting to the point where it takes weeks to get a movie on Blu-Ray from Netflix. I sure I am not the only one getting tried of the wait...if XstreamHD month price is inline with Netflix even with the upfront cost it could be a big hit. It will just take the right marketing.
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#6 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

Washington post article says monthly fee would be about $13 with PPV cost around what you'd pay to rent at the store.

http://www.washingto...7112501301.html

Frankly, I don't see XstreamHD getting off the ground. D* and E* could upgrade equipment and offer a similar service and they're probably working on something already.

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Washington post article says monthly fee would be about $13 with PPV cost around what you'd pay to rent at the store.

Frankly, I don't see XstreamHD getting off the ground. D* and E* could upgrade equipment and offer a similar service and they're probably working on something already.

Unless Mike Musgrove, got a private interview later on...

AT the press conference, when the question was specifically asked on the pricing and the pricing model...

They specifically stated it had not been determined yet, and they said it would be a hybrid between monthly sub/ppv models... but no specifics on $$ were given.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#8 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:06 PM

Hmmm, $400 upfront (at that's supposedly a break for early adopters) plus $13/mo all for the privilege of paying the same amount for each movie that I would pay to DirecTv, Netflix, or Blockbuster now? I just don;t see how this couldbe a HIT. I'll definitly be keeping an eye on it though - who knows.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#9 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

I just got an email reply from one of the people at XStreamHD...

The price point is definenty not set, and could be affected by several factors to come.

The $13 was from an older interview with the company.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

Hmmm, $400 upfront (at that's supposedly a break for early adopters) plus $13/mo all for the privilege of paying the same amount for each movie that I would pay to DirecTv, Netflix, or Blockbuster now? I just don;t see how this couldbe a HIT. I'll definitly be keeping an eye on it though - who knows.

$300+ for an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player... (and the quesiton of which format to pick)
$30 to own the Disks themselves
$8 to rent them from a local BlockBuster/Rental Store (and deal with late fees and non-availability)

Min of $10 (or more) for a monthly subscriptions to a mail service, which as people have noted... are not the most responsive for the HighDefintion formats as they are for the standard definitions....

The price point seems pretty darn close to what they are targetting as the alternatives.. (aka NetFlix, Blockbuster, Local rental chains)... and mix in the fact that it will have 3 ATSC tuners for local channels...

For some... this is all they will want/need for the HD viewing needs....
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

$300+ for an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player... (and the quesiton of which format to pick)
$8 to rent them from a local BlockBuster/Rental Store (and deal with late fees and non-availability)

Min of $10 (or more) for a monthly subscriptions to a mail service, which as people have noted... are not the most responsive for the HighDefintion formats as they are for the standard definitions....

The price point seems pretty darn close to what they are targetting as the alternatives.. (aka NetFlix, Blockbuster, Local rental chains)... and mix in the fact that it will have 3 ATSC tuners for local channels...

My local Blockbuster rents both formats for less than $5.00, plus I'm a member of blockbuster.com so I get them mailed to me and get free swaps with in-store return so the Blu-ray/HD-DVD works for me.

I personally own 3 sets of each player (2 Panasonic DMP-BD30s Blu-rays, 2 Toshiba HD-A35s HD-DVD, a PS3, and a XBOX 360 w/ HD-DVD) since I like having the actual physical media in hand but I will be keeping an eye on download services also.

I like the idea of a set-top box handling my HD downloads rather than media pcs, but that's my humble opinion.

#12 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

What we don't know is would this include some movie download like 2 or 3 then more then that cost X? Or would there be a discount on the price for each movie depending on your monthly fee. I figure I pay about $3.00 for each movie I get from Netflix. So until we hear more from the company I wouldn't write off this idea so fast...

#13 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:59 PM

No additional upfront cost - HD PPV on DirecTv - $4.99

Not trying to poo poo XtremeHD, I just don't immediately seeing it being a slam dunk especially since we have seen somewhat similiar models come and go.

Without a monthly fee and PPV type rates where we can keep the show indefinitely would seem to be right (at least to me). But then you need to consider the cost of extra receivers as well as having yet another dish, plus installation, and do I want yet another device. And of course there is studio support
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,475 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:26 PM

Let's assume they're going to figure out a competitive cost. What we have here is interesting.

Three "Off-Air HD tuners." Recording capability.
Rapid downloading of DVD content in HD - including TV show box sets.

In other words, you could watch all the last season's shows you might be interested in without commercials, plus OTA HD tv.

If I had OTA tv signals, I might consider this approach as a viable option. Most everything I watch comes out on DVD within a few months after the season ends.

But they'd have to be well capitalized for the long haul. And they are essentially going to have to give away their boxes, dishes, etc. for an 18-month contract.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

Hmmmm, very interesting. Putting up another dish doesn't bother me at all. Going with this system I might be able to drop my Premier package down to just Choice Plus and still come out ahead in terms of $$$ per month.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this for sure.

#16 OFFLINE   An-Echo-Star

An-Echo-Star

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

I got the okay from the people at XstreamHD to post their documents provided at CES.

So attached are the 4 documents...

Earl

Great info Earl, thanks a lot.

This thing is a dead duck unless D* or E* snatch it up. Who wants to put a dish on their house just to download 1080P movies? That's an incredibly niche market, maybe .01% or less. Sounds cool and I'm sure it performs great but an uphill battle it will have.

:goodjob: I'm going to grab a much neaded beer! Cheers!
NESNHD PLEASE!

#17 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

Great info Earl, thanks a lot.

This thing is a dead duck unless D* or E* snatch it up. Who wants to put a dish on their house just to download 1080P movies? That's an incredibly niche market, maybe .01% or less. Sounds cool and I'm sure it performs great but an uphill battle it will have.

:goodjob: I'm going to grab a much neaded beer! Cheers!

I would :grin: In a heart beat

#18 OFFLINE   rgreenpc

rgreenpc

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, but Spoon you are the example given for a niche in the dictionary.

#19 OFFLINE   ned23

ned23

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:20 AM

It would be really interesting if you could attach a HDPC-20 to this!!

#20 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:32 AM

Yeah, but Spoon you are the example given for a niche in the dictionary.

I know. But I have family members that are not and I could see them wanting this too and not caring about another dish. I really think this is the only way download services will work for the near future. There just isn't enough bandwidth for HD Movies with good sound. I know this will change in the future, but this could be here this year. It will really come down to price and content. Also, Netflix was very much a niche when it started and look where it is now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...