Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CES2008 - Official xStreamHD information

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rbgamble

rbgamble

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

If you think about it, we already have the equipment needed for this. How many of us have a fast internet connection (Comcast 12 G/s)? How many of us have a system with a large (250 GB or larger) drive. Why can't VOD, or DOD make use of my other networked equipment?

Why do I have to pay more for equipment I don't need?

Yes, I agree, NetFlix stinks when it comes to getting Blu~Ray disks. The moment the show comes out it has a VeryLongWait. What is up with that? Does NetFlix only get one copy for rental? Why can't they get 10 times the copies of Blu~Ray disks?

If Verizon FiOS knows what they are doing, it will replace all formats. Fiber to the house, there will be no need for anything else!

But that is off subject.

I think this more targeted at Netfilix. Its getting to the point where it takes weeks to get a movie on Blu-Ray from Netflix. I sure I am not the only one getting tried of the wait...if XstreamHD month price is inline with Netflix even with the upfront cost it could be a big hit. It will just take the right marketing.

Robert Gamble
HD-DVR - HR20-700
DVR - R16-300

Atco, NJ

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

I wonder how much uncompressed HD can fit on a 1TB drive.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#43 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:10 AM

I wonder how much uncompressed HD can fit on a 1TB drive.

Not much...

All the programming has to be compressed in some fashion.

I know when I did the CE video...

less then 3 minutes, of SD video, at very small resolution... 9gb uncompressed AVI file
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   spoonman

spoonman

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

I wounder what impact Apple's announcement will have on this service? I have an AppleTV and I think $4.99 for one day is too much and only 5.1 sound. Also, 30 days after the DVD comes out is another weak point. I hope XStream can get a better deal with studios then Apple did...
Setup: SWMline
HR21-700 (Native On) | OTA W/AM21 | HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR706 then to Magnavox 52" via HDMI | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sharp 32" Aquos | networked
HR20-700 (Native On) | HDMI to Sony Reciever (STR-DG1000) then to Vizio 32" | networked

#45 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

Here is the main interview with the CEO, very informative: http://www.satellite...reamhd-ceo.html

They did talk about a buying option and basically if you want to buy the movie they will ship you a Blue Ray or HD-DVD disc. In the meantime you can watch it off the server.

Here is the Press Conference: http://www.satellite...-confrence.html

And Scott G himself with a wrap-up: http://www.satellite...ce-wrap-up.html

#46 OFFLINE   vurbano

vurbano

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:05 AM

I agree. I think we'll eventually see the "Dish XStreamHD" package, or the "DirecTV XStreamHD" package... delivered via subscribers' existing dishes to their ViP622/722 or HR-20/21 with beefed-up XStreamHD software installed.

When??? when they both do 1080p and 7.1 lossless DTS-HD master audio at 80 mbps?? I don't think either provider will ever care to deliver that.

#47 OFFLINE   DStroyer

DStroyer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:43 AM

When??? when they both do 1080p and 7.1 lossless DTS-HD master audio at 80 mbps?? I don't think either provider will ever care to deliver that.

They'll downconvert it to whatever they want, throw it at us, and say, "Here. Be happy we're even giving you anything at all."

Panicky Pete.
Dish ViP 622 HD DVR with America's Everything Pack + Locals + HD + OTA HD + Platinum HD (61.5, 110, & 119) customer since 4/2007. 72 HD channels.

#48 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

Any new info about these guys?

#49 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

i have received an email from them 6/16/08 the there still coming to market.

#50 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

I wonder how the studios cracking down on PPV (24 hour limit) will affect them.

#51 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,845 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

I wonder how the studios cracking down on PPV (24 hour limit) will affect them.

Lower adoption rates.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#52 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,443 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

MCLEAN, Va., Dec. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- XStreamHD, an emerging leader in the delivery and distribution of Full High Definition (HD) entertainment to the home, has successfully tested its revolutionary transport system.

The unique transport system, tested on the AMC-16 satellite at 85 degrees west longitude, enables XStreamHD to deliver Full HD movies, music, and games directly to subscriber homes throughout North America.

"By unlocking existing FSS (Fixed Satellite Service) capacity, our service delivers Full HD (1080p) content to homes, independent of Internet or cable congestion," said George Gonzalez, founder and CEO of XStreamHD. "Our advanced technology enables consumers to experience a new level of quality, convenience and service never before offered."

More HERE

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#53 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 793 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

MCLEAN, Va., Dec. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- XStreamHD, an emerging leader in the delivery and distribution of Full High Definition (HD) entertainment to the home, has successfully tested its revolutionary transport system.

The unique transport system, tested on the AMC-16 satellite at 85 degrees west longitude, enables XStreamHD to deliver Full HD movies, music, and games directly to subscriber homes throughout North America.

"By unlocking existing FSS (Fixed Satellite Service) capacity, our service delivers Full HD (1080p) content to homes, independent of Internet or cable congestion," said George Gonzalez, founder and CEO of XStreamHD. "Our advanced technology enables consumers to experience a new level of quality, convenience and service never before offered."

More HERE

this is good news i guess we've only been waiting since the last ces

#54 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Wonder what their story will be at this years CES?
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...