Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to cancel NFL Sunday Ticket

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bgottschalk

bgottschalk

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:03 AM

Back in September I signed up for the 4 free months of Premier by paying $69.99 a month for four months of NFL Sunday Ticket. Now my initial period has run out and I've decided to keep the premier package.

However, I don't want to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket and I believe that it autorenews every year unless you cancel it. So, I went to the change programming section on the D* web page and clicked through the options, but when I got the sports packages page, NFL Sunday Ticket is not checked - so I have no way to remove it.

Am I missing something here? How do I know if Sunday Ticket is going to autorenew come summer or not? I'd really hate to get a $250+ surprise later this year and have it be too late to cancel.

Any advice?
HR20-700 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
HR24-100 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
HR24-500 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
Samsung LCD LN55C650 (HDMI)
Panasonic Plasma TC-P50G10 (HDMI)
Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX60U (HDMI)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   liverpool

liverpool

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

you have to telephone them to cancel these added packages.

#3 OFFLINE   marlen

marlen

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:09 AM

Back in September I signed up for the 4 free months of Premier by paying $69.99 a month for four months of NFL Sunday Ticket. Now my initial period has run out and I've decided to keep the premier package.

However, I don't want to keep the NFL Sunday Ticket and I believe that it autorenews every year unless you cancel it. So, I went to the change programming section on the D* web page and clicked through the options, but when I got the sports packages page, NFL Sunday Ticket is not checked - so I have no way to remove it.

Am I missing something here? How do I know if Sunday Ticket is going to autorenew come summer or not? I'd really hate to get a $250+ surprise later this year and have it be too late to cancel.

Any advice?

you can call them (I know that's sometimes painful), and make sure they give you a "service code" number that relates to your call. you can also send an email with request, so that you have a paper trail...
HR20-700
HR20-100

#4 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

Wait until August when you are billed for the first portion of Sunday Ticket, then call to cancel. You may cancel anytime before the start of the regular season.

#5 OFFLINE   marlen

marlen

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

Wait until August when you are billed for the first portion of Sunday Ticket, then call to cancel. You may cancel anytime before the start of the regular season.

true - and that's a great way to get SF for Free...
HR20-700
HR20-100

#6 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,403 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:16 AM

I believe that you will see a $0 charge for the Sunday Ticket a few months in advance. When you see that on your bill call in and cancel the Sunday Ticket.

#7 OFFLINE   marlen

marlen

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

true - and that's a great way to get SF for Free...
HR20-700
HR20-100

#8 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:11 AM

you can call them (I know that's sometimes painful), and make sure they give you a "service code" number that relates to your call. you can also send an email with request, so that you have a paper trail...

You can also go to the web site and cancel there, un-check the box -- done.

1 - HR34-700
--··· ···-- -·· · -·- -···· ·-· -·· -·-

#9 OFFLINE   Xaa

Xaa

Icon

• Registered
  • 797 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

He said the box was not checked.

I wonder, did you really need to come here for us to tell you to call? It's not a puzzle.

#10 OFFLINE   bgottschalk

bgottschalk

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

He said the box was not checked.

I wonder, did you really need to come here for us to tell you to call? It's not a puzzle.

I guess I was really asking if there was a way to cancel it without calling - I haven't had the best luck with CSR's. I've learned it's usually best if I can just do it myself.

But, it sounds like the best course of action is to wait a bit and then call. Thanks for the advice!
HR20-700 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
HR24-100 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
HR24-500 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
Samsung LCD LN55C650 (HDMI)
Panasonic Plasma TC-P50G10 (HDMI)
Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX60U (HDMI)

#11 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

bgottschalk,

Waiting until that first line item shows up is one way people are reminded to cancel. In your case, I would send an e-mail now through the web site at DirecTV.com stating that you understand that under the deal you got that Sunday Ticket will auto-renew, but after having it this season, you have decided that you no longer want it. Then directly ask that they please cancel Sunday Ticket so it will not auto-renew.

Then make sure as the season approaches that those things don't start showing up on your bill.

For everyone:
As for "a great way to get SF free", I would re-think that. I am an A-List customer, been with DirecTV since 1996 and subscribed to Sunday Ticket that whole time. I had "gotten in" on the Draft Weekend deal where SF was free. When the season arrived I was getting charged for it. A call yielded several "that's the price, there's nothing we can do" answers. I could have done the call back, get Retention, yada yada bit, but chose not to.

Between that and all the deals/credits drying up as they are now, I certainly wouldn't count on getting SuperFan free next season. YMMV.

#12 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

I'd go along w/ that Jluc. You can already see signs of DirecTV tightening the purse strings. I'm sure they will have some type of promotion, but will probably only apply to the new subscriber. Which can be hard to get in on when you're an existing customer.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#13 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

bgottschalk,

Waiting until that first line item shows up is one way people are reminded to cancel. In your case, I would send an e-mail now through the web site at DirecTV.com stating that you understand that under the deal you got that Sunday Ticket will auto-renew, but after having it this season, you have decided that you no longer want it. Then directly ask that they please cancel Sunday Ticket so it will not auto-renew.

Then make sure as the season approaches that those things don't start showing up on your bill.

Make sure you do this....things have a funny way of appearing on your bill after you asked it not to be

#14 OFFLINE   tekko27

tekko27

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

This might be a stupid question, but if I had ST for the 07/08 season, will they try to automatically sign me up for the new season?

#15 OFFLINE   kentuck1163

kentuck1163

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

This might be a stupid question, but if I had ST for the 07/08 season, will they try to automatically sign me up for the new season?

Yes, they will. Happened to me. I had the '06/'07 season and when this season came around they automatically renewed me. I had thought about dropping it - but they threw in SuperFan for free and more on top of that - so I kept it. However, I am convinced that that one decision by me to renew cost the Cincinnati Bengals any chance of a decent year.

I won't renew next year. Can anyone say "Bengals win the SUPERBOWL"?
My Setup:

AT9 dish (pole mount); Zinwell WB68 6x8 multiswitch
HR21-200 -->HDMI --> Toshiba 37HL67 (<20-ft run from dish)
(1) D11-500 receiver
INACTIVE: (2) D11-500 and (1) H20-100

#16 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

Yes, they will. Happened to me. I had the '06/'07 season and when this season came around they automatically renewed me. I had thought about dropping it - but they threw in SuperFan for free and more on top of that - so I kept it. However, I am convinced that that one decision by me to renew cost the Cincinnati Bengals any chance of a decent year.

I won't renew next year. Can anyone say "Bengals win the SUPERBOWL"?

It would take more than that.

#17 OFFLINE   theesir

theesir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:13 PM

I actually tried to call and cancel Sunday Ticket twice last year. Each time it was mysteriously re-added to my account. I would call and they would remove it and credit the 49 dollar payment back to my account. When it was added for a third time I called to cancel, rather upset I might add, they asked why I was canceling. I told them I couldn't justify the $99 SF charge and would not watch games in SD. She said.. I love when they do this... "What If I could give you Super Fan for Free???". I took the deal, plus a additional $100 credit for them jerking me over on the re-adds after I cancelled. I ended up only being charged 2 more monthly fees, so my total charge for ST with SF was $147 or so.

I'm still canceling next year. There are too many games on network/NFL/ESPN in HD to justify the $375 expense next year with SF.

#18 OFFLINE   bemenaker

bemenaker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:10 PM

Kentuck, if that's what it takes to get the Bengals to win the Superbowl, you can come watch all the games at my place. :)

#19 OFFLINE   Blackz06

Blackz06

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:27 PM

For any one else reading this that also picked up the 4 month promo:

I called D* today and they said I should cancel ST the week of the end of the promo. If you cancel a month+ early, it will also cause you to cancel the Premier Package and make it jump back tp it's normal rate.

#20 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

Between that and all the deals/credits drying up as they are now, I certainly wouldn't count on getting SuperFan free next season. YMMV.

Your mileage will definitely vary. I had Sunday Ticket since 1996. The first year that they added a charge for Superfan, I called to complain. When they said that there was nothing that they could do about it, I canceled every package that I had that didn't include HD. I canceled Sunday Ticket, Cinemax, Starz & Playboy and they still didn't waver on the $99 Superfan charge.

At the same time, I was reading over at AV Science that nearly everyone who complained was getting Superfan for free.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...