Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

.com stores for Directv?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 09:01 PM

I found a place on the web called http://www.satellite-store.com
and they seem to have very good prices.

Has anyone ever heard of this place and can tell me if it is a good
outfit to do business with?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to other places I can check out for a good deal on a new DirecTV system? I am checking with 2 local little shops but neither have gotten back to me with a quote yet.

Thanks,

-J

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 09:28 PM

I have purchased Directv equipment from:

www.orbitsat.com
www.mini-dishes.com

Both were quick to ship and had good deals as far as I could tell. I would recommend either.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#3 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 07:15 PM

You may also want to check out www.americansatellite.com since they're a sponsor for the Survivor: Amazon contest. Tell them you're a member of DBSTalk.com and you heard about them on DBSTalk.com. Who knows, they may do something nice for you.

But even if they don't do something nice for you, if you buy from them it would probably encourage them to support the site even more.

#4 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 08:10 PM

Well I bit the bullet and bought from Orbitsat. They had some great deals for new subscribers and I just could not say no. I wish that I could have bought the warranty but it was just too much.

So far (I have only ordered it last night) the only thing that I don't like about the deal is the installation that came with the package. I bought a package with 2 receivers but the included installation is for only one receiver.

My dish will be one of the oval jobbies with the 4 integrated outputs. When it is installed I will likely pay the installer to run all four outputs into the house. I think that only the first 2 are included in the cost and I need at least three to run the TiVo and the other receiver. The fourth is just for the future.

Take care,

-J

P.S.
Thank you very much to everyone (especially you Karl) who helped me out with this. I priced out satellite-store.com, orbitsat.com, www.mini-dishes.com, and www.americansatellite.com before making my decision.

#5 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 10:18 PM

If you feel confident in your abilities, have the installer install one and you can hook up the rest. It really isn't that hard to do, especially if the installer is chaging what you feel is too much. You can buy RG-6 cable and connectors at Home Depot. You might want to price some of that before the installer arrives so you can guage what he will charge vs. what it costs to do it yourself. When I bought my system, I bought it without installation and did the installation myself, but as a former aircraft electrician, I was comfortable climbing around and running wire. YMMV.

Good luck. You'll love the PVR.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#6 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 11:40 AM

I was considering doing it myslef but the package discount was only 50 dollars if you did a self install. For 50 bucks, I will just let them do it.

Besides, they are going to have to seal the hole where the wires enter the house. I would prefer not to have them seal it for 2 wires and me unseal it for 2 more.

Will let you know how it goes. I am hoping to keep the wiring I already have, that should make it much less expensive.

-J

#7 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 10:48 PM

Just got the system installed today. I was VERY impressed with my installer. I was nervious going with an installer sent to me by one of these big .com outfits (Orbitsat.com) figuring that they were the lowest bigger and all. I got even more nervious when I found out that this guy drove well over an hour from his home base to do the install.

Well, my fears were not well founded. This fellow was great. He was personable, professional, knew his stuff, and had a very strong attention to detail. Making the job look neat and inconspicious were very important to him, he even selected a site for the dish that was much more difficult to work with than what I had in mind but was a much better choice.

To top it all off, he ran white wire instead of black so it would blend in better with my house. Then he hid the wire for as much of the run as was possible. After seeing him work, I am glad that I had it done. They say that you will never get as good a job as if you do it yourself.... well in this case, my desire for perfection was not as good as this guys skill and experience.

Take care all,

-J

#8 OFFLINE   papillo-j

papillo-j

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 10:10 PM

Just to do right by Orbitsat......

Lots of people bust of them as bad customer service. My new
HDVR2 unit was not working properly right out of the box. DirecTV worked with me on it and concluded that it was a flaky
modem. I contacted Orbitsat and they got me a new unit that is working fine.

I don't know what experiences people are having that makes them have such a bad impression of this outfit, my experience was very good.

Take care,

-J

Protected By... spam firewall...And...