Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 and 5 Free Blu-Ray movies

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

See this.

Thanks for the link. I printed it out and I will try to send it in on the Blu-Ray player I just bought.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

We bought a PS3 sometime in September, and we had this offer for the free Blu-Ray's.

We got them in about 5 weeks - and two of the movies I really wanted - particularly Phantom of the Opera - Blu Ray advterises it is one of their best products, which I will agree. The opening scene with the chandelier is just...wow.

Not to mention the movie is great in general - but I am an Opera fanatic.
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,477 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

IIRC, Best Buy has 5 free movies Immediately + the 5 free mail in movies on Blu Ray players (making it a total of 10 free). I don't think you can get them with the PS3, however.

I've also read that while the PS3 is good, that it can't do the lossless audio. Is this correct?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#24 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

If I knew what you were talking about, I would tell ya!
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#25 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

IIRC, Best Buy has 5 free movies Immediately + the 5 free mail in movies on Blu Ray players (making it a total of 10 free). I don't think you can get them with the PS3, however.

I've also read that while the PS3 is good, that it can't do the lossless audio. Is this correct?

What do you mean by lossless audio, uncompressed tracks/channels in a WAV format (or similar)?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#26 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Earl.....keep this in mind. The PS3 is the only current BD player that can be fully upgraded because it has a Hard Drive and Internet connetion. Any 1.0 or 1.1 player that does not have this will need to be replaced when 2.0 becomes the standard unless you don;t care about the features that 2.0 will bring.

For the extra 100 you really need to get the PS3, as like you said it can play games as well. It is also an awesome media extender. I have stopped using my HR20 entirely (as a media extender) as a result of getting the PS3
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#27 OFFLINE   Mixer

Mixer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

What do you mean by lossless audio, uncompressed tracks/channels in a WAV format (or similar)?

I am pretty sure with HDMI you can do all of the audio formats including the lossless 5.1 LCM tracks that are found on DVD audio and SACD. I know for sure it plays 5.1 SACD lossless formats.
HR20-700:Component, TV:Mitsubishi WS65807, Audio is connected using Digital Toslink cable. OTA:NO, Locals:New York, Native:Off, Network:Yes, eSata:No, AT9 dish, BBC: Yes, Harmony 880. HR20 is wired, Streaming Music and Photos through Twonky Media Server and internet connection is 5MB DSL.

#28 OFFLINE   Mike728

Mike728

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

I know for sure it plays 5.1 SACD lossless formats.

There's a 6ch analog RCA out on the PS3? There's no other way to pass it, other than Denon's "Link" system via a digital stream.

#29 OFFLINE   Mike728

Mike728

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

IIRC, Best Buy has 5 free movies Immediately + the 5 free mail in movies on Blu Ray players (making it a total of 10 free).

That was last weeks deal. It was one of the reasons I bought my BDP-S300. It isn't offered this week.

#30 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

I am pretty sure with HDMI you can do all of the audio formats including the lossless 5.1 LCM tracks that are found on DVD audio and SACD. I know for sure it plays 5.1 SACD lossless formats.

Actually...it is capable of 8 channels (7.1) each running at 96KBps, that is more than adequate for lossless. It will play standard CDs (which is considred lossless) as well as SACD (as mentioned above). Check www.sonystyle.com for more details on specs etcetera.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#31 OFFLINE   Mike728

Mike728

Icon

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

Actually...it is capable of 8 channels (7.1) each running at 96KBps, that is more than adequate for lossless. It will play standard CDs (which is considred lossless) as well as SACD (as mentioned above). Check www.sonystyle.com for more details on specs etcetera.

Ok, I just read that it actually will send SACD audio digitally (only 2ch at this time, though). You just need a receiver that can decode higher bit rates. Pretty impressive... It's too bad it looks like a game player, IMO. If they could just bundle all that up in a regular DVD package, I'd be all over it.

#32 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,477 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

DTS-HD MA (Master Audio) which is the lossless audio DTS format.

The PS3 player cannot decode it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#33 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,412 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

DTS-HD MA (Master Audio) which is the lossless audio DTS format.

The PS3 player cannot decode it.

Congrats on your 1,000th post!

I don't know what the upgrade path is if that can be added via a firmware update or not. For those tracking this thread, here's a link for further information: http://www.dtsonline...y-and-hddvd.php

According to a couple of online forums people are saying that it is due out anytime (I assume a firmware release). But these forums carry old information (nearly a year ago).
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#34 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:34 AM

When I bought my PS3 awhile back I was slightly annoyed at the "groupings" as well but I enjoy Pearl Harbor and several others. They are not TOP movies but worth keeping for my collection

Protected By... spam firewall...And...