Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel Inks Deal To Offer Nfl Network

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tsrk30

tsrk30

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

NAPLES, Fla. – Jan. 17, 2008 – As American sports fans prep for Super Bowl XLII Feb. 3, Sky Angel U.S., LLC, a national television provider of faith-based and family-friendly programming, becomes the latest to ink an agreement to offer the official network of the National Football League, NFL Network, as part of its new Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) channel line-up.

Subscribers to Sky Angel IPTV will soon be able to watch NFL Network as well as its Video-On-Demand, which has been rated No. 1 among sports on-demand options for features such as extended game highlights and award-winning programs from the NFL Films library.

NFL Network prides itself on being the preeminent source for football fans by televising more than 200 NFL games, including 52 preseason games, eight regular season games, three college bowl games and an assortment of original programs and past Super Bowl and classic games.

The Video-On-Demand segments stem from unprecedented access to each of the 32 NFL teams with exclusive footage from the players, coaches, owners, officials and executives.

“Our viewers will join legions of gridiron fans who already know about this fantastic network that brings one of America’s greatest pastimes into the home,” said Sky Angel CEO Rob Johnson. “NFL Network fits in with our desire to provide America with more programming that the entire family can enjoy together.”

“We are thrilled to join the Sky Angel line-up,” said NFL Network Vice President Brian Decker. “As the only year-round channel dedicated to America’s most popular sport, we look forward to providing our insider’s access to Sky Angel customers.”

Johnson adds that this partnership is just the beginning of new growth for Sky Angel and its subscriber-based TV and radio.

The NFL Network addition will usher in a more expansive line-up, which will be announced in the coming weeks.

Here is the link: http://www.skyangel....asp?ws=v&id=127

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

I know that sky angel wants to attract the "worldly" viewers but this addition may drive some Christian viewers away. they run offensive commercials and IPTV doesn't offer a way to block channels :(

#3 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

What are you talking about? I have never seen a commercial that, as a Christian, I would find offensive on the NFL Network.
Bill R

#4 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

What are you talking about? I have never seen a commercial that, as a Christian, I would find offensive on the NFL Network.

Are you being serious or sarcastic?
I know my family would love having a football channel if it really is family-friendly. The football game commercials on our local broadcast station are disgusting that's why our antenna has not been hooked up for years and we only watch games occasionally with remote in hand. Does the NFL Network not show the cheerleaders that have their "uppper half" exposed either? What about superbowl halftime show? That would be sweet if it really is all football! I assumed NFL Network was like all other "sports" shows & channels.

Also, Sky Angel told me that with IPTV I would still be able to block channels or content by rating. Is this not true now?

~MYB~

#5 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:11 AM

No v chip, sky angel disclaimer:

("Sky Angel Specials" are produced by third parties without input from Sky Angel. Sky Angel simply serves as a carrier of the programming and the opinions expressed therein, either verbally or by content, are not necessarily those of Sky Angel.)

Q18. Does the Sky Angel IPTV service recognize V-Chip technology?

A18. Unfortunately, the Sky Angel IPTV service does not recognize the V-Chip technology. Sky Angel is looking into enhancements that will allow for more program filtering such as that which exists within the V-Chip technology. As these enhancements become available, Sky angel will advise their customers and provide more information on how to utilize these features.

/www.skyangel.com/IPTV/Index.asp?ws=v&Reference=EquipFAQs&~=

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:30 AM

The problem with NFL Network on Sky Angel for some is really not the sports itself, it's the "stuff" around the sport. The "boob seen 'round the world", the beer and booze commercials, etc. are definitely offensive. Sky Angel bills itself as "safe, family-friendly TV". To many that means G Rated. NFL Network can sometimes approach PG13, and up until the "wardrobe malfunction" a few years ago, even R Rating.

I personally have no trouble with this channel on Sky Angel, but I can definitely see where some who are in Sky Angel's target audience would be concerned and even completely put off by such an addition to what they through the service was all about.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#7 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Does the NFL Network not show the cheerleaders that have their "uppper half" exposed either? What about superbowl halftime show? That would be sweet if it really is all football! I assumed NFL Network was like all other "sports" shows & channels.

~MYB~

I am being VERY serious.

And, yes, the NFL does show "scantly clad" cheerleaders. What is wrong with that? God created their bodies (and REALLY done a great job) and I'm sure that even Jesus would not be offend by them. It is just your upbringing and the brainwashing from YOUR relgion that makes you think things like that are bad. As a Christian, I don't feel that way; likely, because I am more "worldly" educated that you. And by "worldly" I meant exactly that. I have been to over three dozen countries and I have seen a LOT of different versions of Christanity. And most of them aren't offended by a few boobs.
Bill R

#8 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

No v chip, sky angel disclaimer:

("Sky Angel Specials" are produced by third parties without input from Sky Angel. Sky Angel simply serves as a carrier of the programming and the opinions expressed therein, either verbally or by content, are not necessarily those of Sky Angel.)

Q18. Does the Sky Angel IPTV service recognize V-Chip technology?

A18. Unfortunately, the Sky Angel IPTV service does not recognize the V-Chip technology. Sky Angel is looking into enhancements that will allow for more program filtering such as that which exists within the V-Chip technology. As these enhancements become available, Sky angel will advise their customers and provide more information on how to utilize these features.

/www.skyangel.com/IPTV/Index.asp?ws=v&Reference=EquipFAQs&~=

I didn't realize those questions were on their website. I had asked back in October before they knew much.

This is the email I sent & received.

I already filled out a request for information about IPTV, but I was
wondering 1-the cost of equipment 2-will there still be parental
controls 3-will programming still have a TV content rating (PG, PG13, R,
etc...) and be able to be blocked accordingly 4-will channels be able to
be blocked if they are not wanted (special secular channels)?

Thank you for contacting Sky Angel. We are still working out those
details. More information will be provided to our customers during the
coming months through mailers like the one you should have recently
received. The answer is yes to the next three questions that you asked.

Thanks,

Mary
Sky Angel

~MYB~

#9 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

I am being VERY serious.

And, yes, the NFL does show "scantly clad" cheerleaders. What is wrong with that? God created their bodies (and REALLY done a great job) and I'm sure that even Jesus would not be offend by them. It is just your upbringing and the brainwashing from YOUR relgion that makes you think things like that are bad. As a Christian, I don't feel that way; likely, because I am more "worldly" educated that you. And by "worldly" I meant exactly that. I have been to over three dozen countries and I have seen a LOT of different versions of Christanity. And most of them aren't offended by a few boobs.

Bummer! I figured it was "too good too be true" to actually watch a football game without the "worldly" extras.

~MYB~

#10 OFFLINE   dsharmon

dsharmon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

Gee, I thought adding the NFL Channel would be the reason all Christians would run out and get SkyAngel and pay the $15 a month. But you can only watch it on ONE TV at that price.

#11 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

Kinda interesting that many of the cable companies say this channel is too high but sky angle can strike a deal with them.

#12 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

it may truly be a high priced channel. I would trust th cable companies over sky angel, despite how sad that is.........

sky angel may be using it as a loss leader to get people in. They will then either raise the price accordingly or remove the channel (remember the fine print). I assume/hope that if you took the 18 month commitment to get the free box that the price is LOCKED in?!

#13 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:02 AM

Maybe skyangel was compelled to strike this deal because they knew that dish was going to move this channel out of AT 100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...