Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tired of "Searching for Satellite...771"!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

So I had been getting this occasional "Searching for Satellite" but this is just getting crazy now. Signal levels seem to be fine as I posted just recently screen shots of my signal levels which are really good. It seems to ONLY be just a handful of the HD channels. Is this something that is going to corrected is it just the way it is? Really not impressed right now. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just a bit frustrated as I want to watch the Cavs/Spurs ballgame and can't!

TIA for any comments or pointers!

Cheers,

ps. here's the thread when I posted my signals......
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=114167

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:25 PM

I think you need to have DirecTV come in.

Something is not right with your installation.

Which HD channels are having the problem? Should be a set of ESPN/ESPN2/TNT/UHD/HDNet or the "new ones" like FOOD/TBS/NFL/USA.

The previous are MPEG2 on different satellite than the latter which are MPEG4.

And what is your installation? How many boxes, how are they wired?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

Just starting happening but the installation was a month or so before football season started.

Why would it "just" be the HD channels?

The one's I am having trouble with are:
TNT (but working now), HD Theater (but it's working now), HBO HD (but working now).....

I give up. So they are working now? This is amazing. Sometime they work, sometimes they don't and it's ONLY just a small number of the HD channels.

Weather blows right now here in the Raleigh area. Had a "winter advisory" this morning but no slow or ice.

Again, thanks for being patient with my frustration and offering up your comments :goodjob:

**oops** just realized I didn't answer your question.

Install is a HR20 (HD DVR) with 2 tuners (2 cables right from the dish directly into the box). Past that I have no idea.

I just took a set of digital pics of all the sat levels like from my other thread that I can post up if that helps.

#4 OFFLINE   blc

blc

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

Just starting happening but the installation was a month or so before football season started.

Why would it "just" be the HD channels?

TNT (but working now), HD Theater (but it's working now), HBO HD (but working now).....

I give up. So they are working now? This is amazing. Sometime they work, sometimes they don't and it's ONLY just a small number of the HD channels.

Weather blows right now here in the Raleigh area. Had a "winter advisory" this morning but no slow or ice.

Again, thanks for being patient with my frustration and offering up your comments :goodjob:

**oops** just realized I didn't answer your question.

Install is a HR20 (HD DVR) with 2 tuners (2 cables right from the dish directly into the box). Past that I have no idea.

I just took a set of digital pics of all the sat levels like from my other thread that I can post up if that helps.

I have had similar problems with the 110 sat channels on tuner 2 only. So depending on which tuner I am hitting for a particular channel, it may or may not come in. When the problem occurs, how are your 110 signals for each tuner?

#5 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Only 3 transponders on 110 (rest are "N/A") and the three signals are 93, 89, 95.

#6 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

But you need to check both tuners 1 and 2 on satellite 110 while you're having the problem.
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#7 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thanks Stew. Quick question, why would I need to check both tuners? Wouldn't I be watching on tuner 1 unless something is recording? Sorry if that sounds like a newb question but I might not understand exactly how these things operate.

#8 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:19 PM

No, it's always alternating.
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#9 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:14 AM

Those channels you listed all come off the 110 sat. And you mentioned bad weather - we had 60+ mph gusts here last week and blew my dish slightly out of alignment. When the wind died down, my picture was fine, but when the wind picked up again I had problems. I had D* come out on Saturday and realign and then tighten down my dish again. Turns out the guy who installed it in June didn't tighten all the bolts. My gut feeling is you might be in the same boat.
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#10 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

I have had "momentary" signal loss with the searching for satellite signal on random channels, not just the HD channels. It only lasts for a second or so than all is normal. Happens mostly at night but not often.
Almost like something blocks the LNBs.

My dish is at the end of my house and mounted on the old Primestar dish pole and the closest big tree is 200 feet away.

#11 OFFLINE   MIMOTech

MIMOTech

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 07:39 AM

Hi Just as you all have been getting the 771 message, so have been getting it, and it took a few months of investigation, but I found the answer to the problem. Seems that the 5 LNB dish has water leaks. If you examine the dish you will see seems in the plastic coverings around the LNBs. They allow moisture to enter the switch part of the 99, 101, 103 LNB. Now funny thing is this only affects the HR20 and none of my other STBs including the H20 that I have. There must be some SW routine doing something that causes the one of the tuners in the Hr20 to shut down. But the proof is that when ever it rained the HR20 would loose a tuner and not be able to tune various transponders and channels. I sealed the seems and do not have the 771 problem anymore.

#12 OFFLINE   teebeebee1

teebeebee1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:33 AM

For a guy with a problem you sure aren't very open minded to suggestion

How about you take a sledgehammer to your tv, we won't have to listen to you challenge every possible fix anymore

#13 OFFLINE   fusion04

fusion04

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

For a guy with a problem you sure aren't very open minded to suggestion

To me, his 'why' questions seem to be about wanting to learn more about how things work (and how they break sometimes).

#14 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

So I had been getting this occasional "Searching for Satellite" but this is just getting crazy now. Signal levels seem to be fine as I posted just recently screen shots of my signal levels which are really good. It seems to ONLY be just a handful of the HD channels. Is this something that is going to corrected is it just the way it is? Really not impressed right now. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just a bit frustrated as I want to watch the Cavs/Spurs ballgame and can't!

TIA for any comments or pointers!

Cheers,

ps. here's the thread when I posted my signals......
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=114167

been having same problem here for last couple months...have posted my problem here with little help

#15 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:52 AM

Post your signal strengths for all your SATS, and include readings for both tuners.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#16 OFFLINE   Farsight

Farsight

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

I have had a similar problem with just the MPEG2 HD channels (ESPNHD, HBOHD, etc). I believe this is a software issue with the HR20, as tuning to another channel and then back to the channel with a weak/no signal completely fixes the issue.

What seems to be happening is that when one tuner is left on a MPEG2 HD channel for a long period of time (I often record long programs on those channels, like the 4-hour Mike & Mike show on ESPN2), the reciever develops a problem tuning those channels in (it doesn't harm the recording though). Tuning to one of those channels will produce a "Searching for signal" error and/or completely corrupt screen (like it has been chopped up into small squares which have been scrambled). Once the tuner is forced to tune something else in, the problem is fixed and doesn't recur while watching the channel, ever.

I've pretty much adapted to working around this defect, and figure I'll just live with until the MPEG2 HD channels are gone, as this -never- occurs on the SD or newer HD channels. Since the HR20 has a number of known issues (occasionally it loses the ability to properly use "crop" mode on SD until a reset is performed, occasionally when using the Sunday Ticket channels the interactive features crash the guide/menus entirely until a reset is performed, etc), I've just figured this is one of the quirks of the new software.

Although I'd love to see a software update eliminate some of these, if possible. :)

#17 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

You probably want to do the same as suggested above. When the problem occurs, check the signal strengths for both Tuner 1 and 2 to see if they are far apart in strength. Could be alignment, cabling, or a bad Tuner.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#18 OFFLINE   blc

blc

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

I have posted this on a couple of other threads with similar issues. Any help or theories of the cause is greatly appreciated.

After an unplug and reboot, and switching cable and bbc between tuners, here is the result. I was right about keeping the signal meters on the 101, 110, or 119 and it not causing tuner 2 to have problems. I kept the signal meter charts up for about 10 minutes switching between tuner 1 and 2 on 101, 110, and 119. All signals remained in the 90's on the transponders that are necessary (a couple of non-used are lower but don't matter).

However, after then finally goint to the 103(B) signal meters, Tuner 1 did great but Tuner 2 had a drop on a few of the 103(B) signals of 2-8 points. Then when I switched back to 110 and 119, Tuner 2 was clearly having issues. The 119 dropped a few points on Tuner 2 and ts23 dropped down to 59 from 95 (and ts25 that is not used as far as I know went to 0). The 110 on tuner 2 dropped to 48, 61, and 52 from 95's earlier.

Thus, the issue clearly presents once the tuners are directed to the new mpeg4's on 103(B). As I have been able to repeat this scenario twice now. That is, no problems with signal meters staying on 101, 110, and 119 after a hard reset. But once the 103(B) signals are tested, Tuner 2 drops points on the 103b (still all above 80) and drops significantly on some of the 110 and a few 119 transponders.

It appears that Tuner 2 cannot recognized the signals or is having some type of interface issues after being tuned to the 103b.

#19 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Okay. No OTA on either line? And only the one box. I was checking to see if you had OTA diplexed in but that would be an issue for the newer channels, not TNT. Also, was making sure you didn't have any splitters int the line which could lead to erratic behavior.

Follow the advice of others here. When you see the problem, go immediately to the satellite strength screens and check both tuners. In fact, the error message should tell you which tuner is having the problem. They do alternate in their usage and you cannot force one over the other.

If you see the problem is consistent with 1 tuner or the other, try swapping the lines into the DVR. If the problem moves, it is somewhere from your dish down to the DVR. If the problem does not move, it is probably a problem in the DVR itself and you need to get it replaced.

If the problem moves from one tuner to the other when you swap the lines at the DVR, you can swap them at the dish if you can reach it easily. If the problem swaps again, then the dish is the issue. If it does not swap, then the problemis the line.

If the problem is not consistent on one tuner, it may be your dish (water in the LNB is often the cause).

Good luck.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#20 OFFLINE   trekologer

trekologer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:35 PM

I was having a similar problem and I was thinking that I had a bad tuner. At the time I didn't have a separate multiswitch; my receivers were connected directly to the LNB outputs (and its built in multiswitch). DirecTV came out, installed a multiswitch (I needed one anyway to add in my other receivers), and I haven't had a problem since. You could have a bad multsiwtch (standalone or the one built into the LNB). In any case, you probablly need DirecTV to come out there and check out your setup.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...