Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why eSATA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   politzer

politzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:59 AM

I'm curious as to the motivations to add an eSATA. I've followed the earlier threads and it seems that expanding your capacity is the primary reason. If you wanted to store content you'd recorded longer, or permanently, it makes sense. Another reason would be to quiet the noisy internal drives.

Why else might I want to use one?
===============
Denon 985 component to Panasonic TH 42PX50U, DVD, CD, HR20-700
Denon 3808 HDMI to Panasonic TH50PZ700U, Apple TV, DVD, CD, HR20-700
Networked with 2wire Wired/wireless modem, enhanced wireless signal via Netgear Signal Expander (AC)
Streaming Itunes from Dell Laptop to Apple TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

My internal drives are not noisy, so that wasn't a reason for me.

Just wanted more space. How many reasons do you need?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:34 AM

Because opening the case on a leased unit to install a larger internal drive isn't really recommended.

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

I'm curious as to the motivations to add an eSATA. I've followed the earlier threads and it seems that expanding your capacity is the primary reason. If you wanted to store content you'd recorded longer, or permanently, it makes sense. Another reason would be to quiet the noisy internal drives.

Why else might I want to use one?

You go from 30 (MPEG2) / 50 (MPEG4) hours of HD to 65/110, 100/165, 145/240.

Fairly compelling benefit ...

http://www.weaknees....hours.php?popup
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   DonCorleone

DonCorleone

Icon

• Registered
  • 869 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Space!:D
DirecTV since 2001, NFLST, EI, and as of 2/8/07, new AU-9 with 2 HR20-700S (1 HDMI, 1 component/RCA), 6X8 multiswitch, and Samsung LNS3252D 32" LCD...eSata Seagate 750GB...12/30/07 new HR20-700S component connected to Phillips 42PFL5332D 42" LCD and HDMI to a little 20" Dynex LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

My wife and I have about a dozen or so "grown up" shows that we record each week, plus another 15 or 18 kids shows that we record just so there's always something new for the kids. Before adding eSATA, if we went the entire week without watching any of the shows, we would get down to 20 or 30 % available.

If we were to take a two week vacation (which is actually what precipitated our adding eSATA), we would have started deleting our regularly scheduled programming. 90% of our shows are HD OTA, so they takealot of space. With a 750GB drive, we rarely get below 50% available, even though we're watching very little TV right now (we have between 0 and 4 episodes of our grownup shows saved right now, plussome concerts & music specials, plus a few HD movies from HBO and we're @ 54% available.)

So for us, the added space just gave us more freedom to watch our shows when it is convenient for us.

#7 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

Because opening the case on a leased unit to install a larger internal drive isn't really recommended.

And, I might (and are) add to that, the largest single drive currently available in the consumer market is 1TB, whereas the eSATA port supports Raid0/Raid1 (stripped set/mirrored set), so multiple drives up to a total 'raw' space (supported right now) of 2TB is. Hopefully, the things will, at some time in the future, support JBOD or concatenated levels, and a total disc space far larger than the 2TB.

So, that's equal to about 6+ (almost 7) times the 'original' storage space of the 300/320G drives.

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Space... more space... more space.

All my Series Links are set to keep-all (instead all).

Even with 42 series links right now.... I still haven't dropped bellow 70%
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   brownram

brownram

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:07 PM

because at this time it is the only option for archiving sat. true HD material. with HD eating up large amount of hard drive space 50 hrs is not enough. i am not a move buff but i record concerts i now have about 150 hrs and still have 49% left
i love my hr20 now

#10 OFFLINE   politzer

politzer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:50 PM

How about one good one?
===============
Denon 985 component to Panasonic TH 42PX50U, DVD, CD, HR20-700
Denon 3808 HDMI to Panasonic TH50PZ700U, Apple TV, DVD, CD, HR20-700
Networked with 2wire Wired/wireless modem, enhanced wireless signal via Netgear Signal Expander (AC)
Streaming Itunes from Dell Laptop to Apple TV

#11 OFFLINE   EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

You break it - you bought it.

#12 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:27 PM

You break it - you bought it.

Amen

#13 OFFLINE   CT_Wiebe

CT_Wiebe

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

Adding a 1TB external drive (eSATA) doesn't violate the warranty, and is a painless (well almost) way to quadruple the amount of storage space for recorded programs (while leaving the programs already recorded on the internal drive intact - you have to remove the eSATA drive to watch them though).

My only alternative was to delete previously recorded programs as I was down to 2% remaining. I didn't want to do that, so I installed a WD10EACS 1TB drive in an Antec MX-1 case (an expensive case but well worth it - easy installation and runs cool with a very quiet fan). After one week of daily programming (it's on 24/7) plus both NFL Divisional playoff games (OTA - mpeg2 ==> about 2.9GB/hour), I still had 93% of free space.

The only problem is that the eSATA connector on the back of the HR20-700 (mine, at least) is not quite standard. I found that the eSATA cable supplied with my MX-1 case would only work one way (I had to reverse the cable). The HR20 connector required that the eSATA cable pins had to be flush with the edge of the connector. That was true on only one end of my cable. I had checked the assembly on my PC (I have an eSATA connector port) first and verified that it was working (I did not format it, because the HR2x does that on boot-up).

Adding an external eSATA drive does require that you unplug your HR2x from the AC power, connect the eSATA cable to the HR2x and external drive, power up the drive (and wait a minute or so), and then plug the HR2x back into the AC power. You then check the recorded programs (use the "List" button on the remote). If the playlist is empty, you've done it! If not, then, most likely, the eSATA cable isn't making contact in the HR2x. See the first post here, http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=66201, for details on adding an external drive.

EDIT, politzer -- What the other members are saying is that if you open your HR2x case to install a bigger drive inside, you have violated the warranty on your unit. If you have to send the unit back to DirecTV for any reason, they will make you pay full MSRP for the unit (around $500-$600). Opening the HR2x, breaks the seals, so they will know you've opened it, even if you put the original drive back in. You also need a special Torx screw driver to open the unit.

#14 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

I'm not sure that hooking up an external disk is going to make things any quieter. Has anyone confirmed whether or not the internal disk drive is put into a spun down state when an external drive is connected?

#15 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

Adding an external eSATA drive does require that you unplug your HR2x from the AC power,

Powering down the HR20 is NOT required. The design specification for the eSATA interface states that it is hot pluggable, so just connect the eSATA disk to the HR20, power up the eSATA disk, and reboot the HR20.

#16 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

The Internal Drive still SPINS while using an External Drive.

I am installing a 1TB Seagate Enterprise Class SATA in my OWNED HR20-700 for my bedroom. Don't want an external drive in my cabinet as I am running out of space and I can hear my other external drive downstairs in my Den when the Home Entertainment System if off.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   CT_Wiebe

CT_Wiebe

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:51 PM

Powering down the HR20 is NOT required. The design specification for the eSATA interface states that it is hot pluggable, so just connect the eSATA disk to the HR20, power up the eSATA disk, and reboot the HR20.

I agree that eSATA is "hot-pluggable", however, the HR20/HR21 eSATA does not necessarily follow all of the specifications (it's not a complete implementation of the full eSATA secifications). Specifically, a reboot will not work (at least for all, or even most, units). The recommended procedure is to remove power from the DVR before connecting the eSATA drive, and to only re-apply power after the eSATA drive has been powered up and is running.

The first time I tried it, my HR20 still saw the internal drive, not the external one. Therefore, the original procedure recommended by others (which I repeated in my previous post) is the only one that is guaranteed to work under all circumstances.

#18 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:44 AM

You do not have to unplug the power from the DVR for a "cold boot". You just have to make sure that the external drive/drives have spun up and are detectable to the SATA port so that the DVR can detect there is an external drive connected so it can use it.

If it doesn't detect the external drive it will boot up with the internal drive.

I simply hit the Red Reset Button after my External Drive Enclosure has booted up and it works everytime. I Power Off my external drive and hit the Red Reset Button and I boot the DVR up with Internal Drive, very simple.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

I agree that eSATA is "hot-pluggable", however, the HR20/HR21 eSATA does not necessarily follow all of the specifications (it's not a complete implementation of the full eSATA secifications). Specifically, a reboot will not work (at least for all, or even most, units). The recommended procedure is to remove power from the DVR before connecting the eSATA drive, and to only re-apply power after the eSATA drive has been powered up and is running.

The first time I tried it, my HR20 still saw the internal drive, not the external one. Therefore, the original procedure recommended by others (which I repeated in my previous post) is the only one that is guaranteed to work under all circumstances.

I've seen no evidence that powering down the HR20 guarantees anything or even seen any evidence that the powering down method yields more success that the hot plug and reset method.

Several people who I know just do a hot-plug and reset and none have ever had any problems with the disk not being recognized, so I would recommend that the eSATA disk be hot plugged and followed by a receiver reset, and if the drive external drive isn't recognized, to then check the connections to make sure that the cable connector is fully seated in the drive socket and HR20 socket, and try a reset again, and only as a last resort, try a full power-down of the HR20 if you can't get the HR20 to recognize the drive with a hot-plug connect and reset.

#20 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

You do not have to unplug the power from the DVR for a "cold boot". You just have to make sure that the external drive/drives have spun up and are detectable to the SATA port so that the DVR can detect there is an external drive connected so it can use it.

The external doesn't have to be spun up... just powered up. If you are using the drive that was originally the internal drive as an external drive, it won’t spin up until the HR20 recognizes it as being connected to the eSATA port and sends a spin up command to the disk.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...