Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What choices are available for DBS with HD DVR and HD OTA?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MoWheels

MoWheels

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

I have been mostly satisfied with my DirecTV service with HR10-250 HD DVR. I really like the OTA HD feature of this receiver as about half of my viewing is OTA. I have been blissfully unaware of all the changes in the DBS world until I decided to see what I needed to do to receive the new HD channels DTV is adding.
DirecTV doesn't offer locals in my area, either SD or HD.
What choice(s) do I have for a HD DVR for the new mpeg4 channels AND OTA HD recording? It's looking like Dish may be the only choice, but am I missing something?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

The HR20 from DirecTV.
The HR21 will soon have OTA support via the AM21

So if your HR10-250 is still running... and you can wait a few months (or less) for the release of the AM21... then the HR21/AM21 is the combination for you.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   MoWheels

MoWheels

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Wow, such a fast response - thanks Earl!
I wasn't aware of the AM21. Is this an external device or internal to the HR21?
Any "official" timeline for its availability?
I need to do a lot of catch-up reading on this forum to learn what is the state of the industry now.

The HR20 from DirecTV.
The HR21 will soon have OTA support via the AM21

So if your HR10-250 is still running... and you can wait a few months (or less) for the release of the AM21... then the HR21/AM21 is the combination for you.

#4 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Wow, such a fast response - thanks Earl!
I wasn't aware of the AM21. Is this an external device or internal to the HR21?
Any "official" timeline for its availability?
I need to do a lot of catch-up reading on this forum to learn what is the state of the industry now.

It is an external USB solution.

See this thread for more info.
Go Hoos!

#5 OFFLINE   MoWheels

MoWheels

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the info.
I spent some time yesterday evening reading up on things, trying to get up to speed on the current DBS scene.
I've spent the last 18 months simply enjoying the home theater I built, with little regard to "what's new" in the satellite world. After I became aware that there were lots of new HD channels which I couldn't receive with my DTV HR10 DVR, I began trying to learn what I needed to do to get the new channels plus keep the OTA local HD DVR recording ability. A lot has changed in 18 months! Looks like I'll need a completely new setup for the HT room. Guess I could move the HR10 DVR to another room with SD TV set.
Before I learned of the the AM21, I was assuming I'd have to switch to DISH to get the OTA locals with a DVR. Now it looks like I'll just have to wait a few weeks and go with a new dish and the HR21/AM21 combo.
Thanks for the tips, folks!

spam firewall