Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is 4900 still supported?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peridigm

peridigm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

I figured I would ask here since every time I call Dish I hangup in a bad mood. A friend gave me two receivers and a single dish 500 new in the box. I will keep the dish and accessories for spare parts. My question is, can I call Dish and activate the 4900 and use it as a spare receiver? This past weekend my 622 died and I am without Dish until the replacement comes. It would be nice to have a spare on hand when it happens again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

They will activate it, but it may not work with your existing dish configuration. The 4900 is legacy. Since you have a 622 you likely have some form of DishPro LNB/switch. Tell us what your receiver shows in Menu-6-1-CheckSwitch-Summary.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#3 OFFLINE   peridigm

peridigm

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

They will activate it, but it may not work with your existing dish configuration. The 4900 is legacy. Since you have a 622 you likely have some form of DishPro LNB/switch. Tell us what your receiver shows in Menu-6-1-CheckSwitch-Summary.

That will have to wait a few days as the only receiver I have died over the weekend.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:54 PM

Do the LNBs have a dp logo?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   UGAChance

UGAChance

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Dish still supports and maintains the 4900. If yours is not been hooked up in a long time... It may not be able to get anything because too many changes in the sats and such over the years.

Just try it. Even if it is not authorized channel 101 is in the clear. You should be able to goto it after running Check Switch.

I am running a 4900 off a DPP44 Switch with a Dish 1000.1 w/ Twin and a Dual LNB. It shows up as a Legacy SW64 Switch.
ViP722
DP721

#6 OFFLINE   peridigm

peridigm

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Finally got my replacement 622 hooked up this evening. Any links that explain what I need to install an additional receiver to my current single receiver setup?

#7 OFFLINE   UGAChance

UGAChance

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

Any links that explain what I need to install an additional receiver to my current single receiver setup?

How can we do that unless you tell us what your setup is?

Dish, LNBs, Switch?!?!?!
ViP722
DP721

#8 OFFLINE   mattfast1

mattfast1

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

All receivers made by Dish are still supported.

With the exception of the 2000 that they killed off. The only troubleshooting for that receiver is "RA the receiver". I'd love to get one of those... easy call.
~ mattfast1 ~

Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

spam firewall