Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Beta Tester For Sky Angel Iptv

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xylo777

xylo777

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

I got my new IPTV box 3 days ago.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

what type of internet service do you have? speed?

How long does the beta test last?

#3 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

xylo777,

I HIGHLY suggest that you read the agreement that allows you to be a Sky Angel IPTV beta tester. There is some non-disclosure stuff that you, apparently, aren't aware of.
Bill R

#4 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Good luck! Seems they are way behind schedule though if beta is just going out now!

#5 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

I thought they were originally supposed to ship the new subs boxes 1/8? didn't someone post a letter about there being a delay due to not "finishing" beta testing?

#6 OFFLINE   jlahmeyer

jlahmeyer

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

I thought they were originally supposed to ship the new subs boxes 1/8? didn't someone post a letter about there being a delay due to not "finishing" beta testing?

No, it was 1/7/2008. I remember getting an email stating the date has moved and that I would get another email when the box is shipped. It should be any time now. On another board they someone already said beta testers have had there boxs and the beta test is about over.

#7 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:54 PM

I got my new IPTV box 3 days ago.

How is the quality????

Should I get this service?????

Does your computer have to be on?

#8 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:55 PM

xylo777,

I HIGHLY suggest that you read the agreement that allows you to be a Sky Angel IPTV beta tester. There is some non-disclosure stuff that you, apparently, aren't aware of.

What's your connection with Sky Angel?

What's going to happen after 3/31/08?

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,294 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:56 PM

The SkyAngel IPTV box is completely separate ... no computer required. Not that many people (if any) would have broadband without a computer ... but it is a standalone.

#10 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

The SkyAngel IPTV box is completely separate ... no computer required. Not that many people (if any) would have broadband without a computer ... but it is a standalone.

Will SKY Angel IPTV work with a wireless connection?

#11 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

What's your connection with Sky Angel?

What's going to happen after 3/31/08?

Believe me, I have absolutely NO connection with Sky Angel (read some of my other posts in this forum). I just know that all companies that have beta testers require them NOT to disclose a lot of things about their testing (or even that they are one).

After 3/31/08 Sky Angel is going to shut off their satellite delivered service in case you haven't been told.
Bill R

#12 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:19 AM

After 3/31/08 Sky Angel is going to shut off their satellite delivered service in case you haven't been told.

I get why they are shutting it off (so they do not have to go through E* anymore and deal with all that "not being in total control" and such), but IPTV is usually not a good alternative to Sat.

A lot of people on Sat service cannot get a good internet connection since they are in more remote areas. Seems Sky Angel will loose a lot of customers with the move...but who knows.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#13 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

Believe me, I have absolutely NO connection with Sky Angel (read some of my other posts in this forum). I just know that all companies that have beta testers require them NOT to disclose a lot of things about their testing (or even that they are one).

Thanks Bill,

I am trying to determine what new, if any, religious channels DISH may add when the SKY ANGEL contractual limits are removed. Also, I am keenly interested in the SKY ANGEL IPTV, that;s why I am asking. I can't seem to find out much from SA or DISH. Any info will be appreciated by Bill or anyone reading this post.

Thanks

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,294 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

I get why they are shutting it off (so they do not have to go through E* anymore and deal with all that "not being in total control" and such), but IPTV is usually not a good alternative to Sat.

You have the wrong why.

SkyAngel made a long term deal with EchoStar that is now reaching the end. It was a sweet deal ... basically cashless where SkyAngel didn't need to pay for satellite carriage - but it was based on the life of the satellite - EchoStar III. Now a decade later as expected E3 is being removed from service at 61.5 and the sweet deal expires.

SkyAngel can't afford (and, IMHO never could afford) the real going rate for satellite carriage. The move to IPTV isn't just a choice based on wanting to get away from E* ... they simply can't afford a new deal via satellite.

#15 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

You have the wrong why.

SkyAngel made a long term deal with EchoStar that is now reaching the end. It was a sweet deal ... basically cashless where SkyAngel didn't need to pay for satellite carriage - but it was based on the life of the satellite - EchoStar III. Now a decade later as expected E3 is being removed from service at 61.5 and the sweet deal expires.

SkyAngel can't afford (and, IMHO never could afford) the real going rate for satellite carriage. The move to IPTV isn't just a choice based on wanting to get away from E* ... they simply can't afford a new deal via satellite.

James

Does the new IPTV device from Sky Angel pick up other IPTV CHannels????

#16 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:48 AM

You have the wrong why.

O, Ok, thx for the info. I thought I had read somewhere about them not wanting to share anymore, but it was probably just a rumour.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,294 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

I won't say that the relationship between DISH and SkyAngel is not stressed out. DISH has something SkyAngel desperately needs ... satellite transponders in space. SkyAngel had something DISH needed ... licenses to use thransponders. That worked out well for most of the 10 years that DISH and SkyAngel cooperated ... but DISH is in a much better position now and although they are happy to get SkyAngel's transponder licenses the advantage is now theirs. All they had to do was set a price too high for SkyAngel to pay (not difficult considering the finances) and SkyAngel didn't have an option. I hope SkyAngel got some cash out of the sale of the licenses ... perhaps the rumored continued carriage of certain channels is part of the deal ... but they really didn't have a choice to continue without a boatload of cash.

If SkyAngel would have had the advantage they could have replace their use of E3 with another satellite (perhaps a used DirecTV bird?) or made some barter deal with DirecTV instead of EchoStar. But most options require cash ... SkyAngel just doesn't have that in abundance.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...