Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wiring new house

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trdowns

trdowns

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:15 AM

I am building a new house and doing all my low voltage. I wanted to get some input on the wiring layout.
I will be running 4 rg6 from the dish site to a AV closet in the basement.
I am running a bundle with 2RG6 and 2 cat5 from theAV closet to each TV location. I am running the 2 rg6 just in case I decide to locate some of my receivers at the TV in the future. I am intending on running HD over cat 5 using a Component Video & Digital Audio Wall plate Balun. Does anyone have experience with these and do they output a good HD signal? Are these comparable to using the same in the HDMI version?
Currently I have 3 HR20's and 2 SD units with plans to upgrade the 2 SD units to HR20'sr whatever the case maybe.
I realize that it is easy to run everything now and I should run as much as possible during framing but cost is a consideration so there must be limits.
I would love to find a video distribution device that would allow the 5 receivers video to be switched to any of the TVs if anyone knows of any reasonably priced units.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

I am building a new house and doing all my low voltage. I wanted to get some input on the wiring layout.
I will be running 4 rg6 from the dish site to a AV closet in the basement.
I am running a bundle with 2RG6 and 2 cat5 from theAV closet to each TV location. I am running the 2 rg6 just in case I decide to locate some of my receivers at the TV in the future. I am intending on running HD over cat 5 using a Component Video & Digital Audio Wall plate Balun. Does anyone have experience with these and do they output a good HD signal? Are these comparable to using the same in the HDMI version?
Currently I have 3 HR20's and 2 SD units with plans to upgrade the 2 SD units to HR20'sr whatever the case maybe.
I realize that it is easy to run everything now and I should run as much as possible during framing but cost is a consideration so there must be limits.
I would love to find a video distribution device that would allow the 5 receivers video to be switched to any of the TVs if anyone knows of any reasonably priced units.

Thanks

use RG6 for HD, not cat 5 and be sure to use solid copper instead of copper clad steel
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   trdowns

trdowns

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

use RG6 for HD, not cat 5 and be sure to use solid copper instead of copper clad steel

I am talking about between the receiver and the plasma. There are baluns made that will carry the audio and video over cat5.

#4 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:06 PM

I am talking about between the receiver and the plasma. There are baluns made that will carry the audio and video over cat5.

ok, my bad/ so you plan to have the HD rcvr in one room and the tv in another
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

Protected By... spam firewall...And...