Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Service opinions - keep DirecTV, go Dish, go back to cable?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djflux

djflux

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

Good evening,

Evidently I don't keep up on my DirecTV news because I was very peeved one night a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't watch my Battlestar Galactica on UHD. I hadn't kept up on the news and evidently hadn't watched UHD, or HDNet Movies in a while and was surprised to see a message on the screen that said I need to call customer support to subscribe to "this channel."

Now I know that DirecTV yanked UHD, HDNet Movies, along with some others and put them on a different tier. I called support and the offered me 3 months of the higher-end HD tier for free but want to charge me $99 for upgraded equipment to get the newer HD channels.

Now I've been a DirecTV customer on and off for almost 12 years now (not off by my choice - because I couldn't get it because of southern sky issues and such) and this is the first thing they've done to really get my goat.

I've been doing research on other programming providers, but I wanted to get some opinions from the community. I can switch to Dish Network and get free HD DVR and free HD service for 6 months. I can suck it up, and just pay the extra $4.99/month to DirecTV, pay them even more for an equipment upgrade and lose my TiVo and (possibly) OTA HD, or I can go to cable (Time Warner in my area) and get HD DVR with programming for $9.99 (what I'm paying now) over the standard digital tier and get my UHD and HDNet Movies back.

Here's what I have now:

DirecTV HR10-250 HD TiVo DVR (upgraded to 300GB)
OTA local HD on the HR10
Philips DSR704 (upgraded to 80GB, hacked with USB200M network and can download programming)
Total Choice Plus with locals

I'd like to stay with DirecTV because I have a large time investment in modding my TiVo's, but DirecTV has got me so worked up about this extra $4.99. It is only $4.99, but it's the darn principle.

Opinions? Provider recommendations? Equipment recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Flux.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

Good evening,

Evidently I don't keep up on my DirecTV news because I was very peeved one night a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't watch my Battlestar Galactica on UHD. I hadn't kept up on the news and evidently hadn't watched UHD, or HDNet Movies in a while and was surprised to see a message on the screen that said I need to call customer support to subscribe to "this channel."

Now I know that DirecTV yanked UHD, HDNet Movies, along with some others and put them on a different tier. I called support and the offered me 3 months of the higher-end HD tier for free but want to charge me $99 for upgraded equipment to get the newer HD channels.

Now I've been a DirecTV customer on and off for almost 12 years now (not off by my choice - because I couldn't get it because of southern sky issues and such) and this is the first thing they've done to really get my goat.

I've been doing research on other programming providers, but I wanted to get some opinions from the community. I can switch to Dish Network and get free HD DVR and free HD service for 6 months. I can suck it up, and just pay the extra $4.99/month to DirecTV, pay them even more for an equipment upgrade and lose my TiVo and (possibly) OTA HD, or I can go to cable (Time Warner in my area) and get HD DVR with programming for $9.99 (what I'm paying now) over the standard digital tier and get my UHD and HDNet Movies back.

Here's what I have now:

DirecTV HR10-250 HD TiVo DVR (upgraded to 300GB)
OTA local HD on the HR10
Philips DSR704 (upgraded to 80GB, hacked with USB200M network and can download programming)
Total Choice Plus with locals

I'd like to stay with DirecTV because I have a large time investment in modding my TiVo's, but DirecTV has got me so worked up about this extra $4.99. It is only $4.99, but it's the darn principle.

Opinions? Provider recommendations? Equipment recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Flux.

If you want to stay with Directv here is what I recommend. You were quoted a $99 upgrade price to a newer HD-DVR. You look to have a good account. I would call in again and see what they give you (press the fact you have been in service for quite a while). If that fails ask for customer retention or just say you want to cancel service. A retention representative should be able to get you a free HD-DVR with free dish upgrade.

Typically the local cable companies charge more per month for similar services with less HD channels. Dish Network is also a good option. I would find out however if either Dish or Directv offer local HD channels. Right now Directv is a head of the game for HD, Dish will catch up but I like the Directv HD channels and pricing better right now. You will get different answers to this question. Do your research find what packages work for you and go for it.

#3 OFFLINE   TaylorJ

TaylorJ

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:42 AM

Actually you need to call back. The fact that you have an HD Tivo could make you eligible for a free swap out.

#4 OFFLINE   Desert Hometech

Desert Hometech

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

Yup, if you're otherwise happy with Directv, then call back like others have said. They have a very aggressive retention department and will most likely upgrade you for free once you threaten to go to Dish. Im afraid the $5 per month issue will probably stay the same.
Satellite TV and High Speed Internet Available Anywhere (we take care of the Phoenix, AZ area)
www.deserthometech.com

#5 OFFLINE   djflux

djflux

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

Actually you need to call back. The fact that you have an HD Tivo could make you eligible for a free swap out.

Would I have to give back my HR10? I'd like to keep it since I paid out of my pocket for it and I've upgraded the HD.

#6 OFFLINE   djflux

djflux

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:23 AM

OK, I called back and they waived the $99 HD DVR fee when I told them I was considering Dish and they gave me 6 months of the upgraded HD Tier so I'll get my UHD back :)

Install is this coming Thursday so we'll see how it goes (if I get to keep my HR10) and I'll post back after the install is complete.

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions.

spam firewall