Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

First Look: Directv HD DVR Networking Kit

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

I had my HR21 networked using a Buffalo wireless ethernet converter, but was having problems with the RF path (it is about 60 feet through several walls and I suspect the insulation is foil-backed). I was getting limited success with On Demand and music and pictures with Media Share, but Media Share video files would not transfer smoothly. I felt the need for a better connection but running a CAT5 cable would be somewhat difficult (working in my crawl space in the winter is not something I relish), so I decided to order a set of the new HD DVR Networking adapters.

This kit uses ethernet-over-powerline networking as an alternative to a direct ethernet or wireless networking. A basic installation requires two adapters, but it appears that up to 16 devices can be networked. They use HomePlug® technology and are rated at 85 Mbps.

There are two models available, a basic one ($24.99) which plugs into a standard wall socket and has a RJ-45 ethernet connection and a powerstrip model ($54.99) which incorporates six extension sockets and surge protection. A CAT5 cable is included and the price includes FedEx shipping (the units arrived in a couple of days). The manufacturer is tii network technologies. A data sheet for the basic model is at http://www.tiinettec.../HNX-ET_IDS.pdf and for the powerstrip version at http://www.tiinettec...NP6L-ET_IDS.pdf.

Since I was a bit stretched for power connections at both locations, I bought two of the powerstrip models. They appear to be quite solidly constructed. No configuration was required and I was able to get my HR21 networked in practically no time (I had already set it up using the Buffalo wireless converter). There was an enclosed CD with a manual and a Windows program which can be used to add an encryption password to the device (which might be advantageous in a multifamily dwelling). If encryption is used, it must be applied to all powerline devices in the network.

The units have been working for the past three days without problems for both On Demand and Media Share (including video files).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lakaw

lakaw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Is there any way for you to test the throughput and post the results?

#3 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,670 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 25 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

The data sheet claims speeds "up to 85Mbps."

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#4 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

wait 16 devices??? so if i buy 2 for 2 different HR2*s and then have a third near the router that third would run both?

Or is it like i can hook up 16 different adapters in the house?

#5 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

Ok so on demand spped questions. Is the hrxx using a bittorrent format?
if so maybe port forwarding will work fo me
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#6 OFFLINE   lakaw

lakaw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

The data sheet claims speeds "up to 85Mbps."

Thanks for your input, but I would like to see some real world numbers. If you've done any research on this topic, you'd know that the specs don't mean much.

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

wait 16 devices??? so if i buy 2 for 2 different HR2*s and then have a third near the router that third would run both?

Or is it like i can hook up 16 different adapters in the house?

I believe the answer is yes to both questions.

#8 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

I believe the answer is yes to both questions.

:D i had no idea that there only needed to be one plug available near the wall.

This will prove to be very useful if i get the speed.

#9 OFFLINE   Swheat

Swheat

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

I had my HR21 networked using a Buffalo wireless ethernet converter, but was having problems with the RF path (it is about 60 feet through several walls). I was getting limited success with On Demand and music and pictures with Media Share, but Media Share video files would not transfer smoothly. I felt the need for a better connection but running a CAT5 cable would be somewhat difficult (working in my crawl space in the winter is not something I relish), so I decided to order a set of the new HD DVR Networking adapters.

This kit uses ethernet-over-powerline networking as an alternative to a direct ethernet or wireless networking. A basic installation requires two adapters, but it appears that up to 16 devices can be networked. They use HomePlug® technology and are rated at 85 Mbps.

There are two models available, a basic one ($35) which plugs into a standard wall socket and has a RJ-45 ethernet connection and a powerstrip model ($60) which incorporates six extension sockets and surge protection. A CAT5 cable is included and the price includes FedEx shipping (the units arrived in a couple of days). The manufacturer is tii network technologies. A data sheet for the basic model is at http://www.tiinettec.../HNX-ET_IDS.pdf and for the powerstrip version at http://www.tiinettec...NP6L-ET_IDS.pdf.

Since I was a bit stretched for power connections at both locations, I bought two of the powerstrip models. They appear to be quite solidly constructed. No configuration was required and I was able to get my HR21 networked in practically no time (I had already set it up using the Buffalo wireless converter). There was an enclosed CD with a manual and a Windows program which can be used to add an encryption password to the device (which might be advantageous in a multifamily dwelling). If encryption is used, it must be applied to all powerline devices in the network.

The units have been working for the past three days without problems for both On Demand and Media Share (including video files).

So, how do I buy this kit? I went to Directv"s website and it's nowhere to be found.

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:52 PM

So, how do I buy this kit? I went to Directv"s website and it's nowhere to be found.

I found it under "change hardware" on the web site. You can also order by phone.

#11 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

Ok so on demand spped questions. Is the hrxx using a bittorrent format?
if so maybe port forwarding will work fo me

The HR2x pulls information down from the DirecTV servers. BitTorrent (specifically the problem with ISPs controlling it) has more to do with client machines acting as servers. The HR2x does not act as a server in any way for the DOD functionality. Ports do not need to be forwarded. Port forwarding is used when making a service on the internal network available to the external network (Internet).

Since the HR2x acts as a client requesting all of the downloads, there is no need for port forwarding.

Being designed like to function like a torrent would only be relevant if DirecTV were going to allow downloads from neighboring HR2x boxes. I can see where this would be a horrible customer service failure.

It works quite well. If anything, DirecTV could add additonal mirrors and bandwidth on their end. I have had no issues with the speed of download on my 5Mbps/768kbps DSL connection.

#12 OFFLINE   vee528

vee528

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:29 AM

Go to directtv.com and Log in to your account
At the top of the page click on the link"My programming and equipment"
On the scroll down menu click "add kits and equipment"
That's it. Please note if you do not have an HD DVR unit assigned to your account
the kit will not appear in the kits and equipment section.
Hope this helps...

#13 OFFLINE   ticmxman

ticmxman

Legend

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

So what's the bottom line is this a good option or should I set up a wireless network? By the way my house was built in 1950. Will my hodge podge upgraded electrical system create any issues?

#14 OFFLINE   DrJohnC

DrJohnC

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:05 PM

Purchased two Powerline Powerstrip Kits yesterday. They arrived today.
Plugged one in upstairs.
Plugged another in by the DVR.
Tuned DVR to channel 1000 ... voila, there be On Demand Captain!

#15 OFFLINE   coota

coota

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Please help me to understand all of this. Currently I just have a modem on my computer. Do I need to purchase a router and two of the Powerline kits or just two of the Powerline kits and no router?

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

Has anyone validated the 85Mbps yet?

I suspect that even if it hits that rate, it will be far to slow to move large data files across with any speed that is worthwhile.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#17 OFFLINE   ccorey123

ccorey123

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

Couple novice questions:

(1) Looking at the FAQ, it appears that you must either plug directly into the wall or use their powerstrip ... so I assume I can't purchase the single-plug option and plug into an existing powerstrip, correct?

(2) When I look at the purchase options, it's $35 for a wall mount and $60 for the powerstrip. Does the $35 wall mount include hardware for both ends of the connection (1 for the receiver end and 1 for the router end)? Or do I need to purchase 2 wall mount kits?

Thanks,
Chris

#18 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

The 85 MBPS is not a huge deal for DOD but for media share it could be a little to slow. I will be interested to hear what the results are. Luckily I am moving into a house Monday that is Cat5 wired so I have the wiring issue down but if I ever need a better solution when I move out of this place. Good luck Bob!!!
Current Setup
Premier with HD and DVR with NFLST, NFLST To Go, NHL CI, NBA League Pass and MLB EI.
2 HR21-700s (Current National release)
1 R15-500 (Current National release)
1 R22 with HD now!!!(Current National release)
Samsung LNT4071 (40 inch LCD)
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
Samsung LN40C530F1
Directv customer since August 2006

#19 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,102 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:41 PM

I don't expect that one could realize 85 Mpbs (I certainly don't get 54 Mpbs with 802.11g). I don't know what bit rate Directv uses for HD programming, but my local OTA HD stations run a bit under 17 Mbps (less for those with subchannels). If MPEG4 is enabled for Media Share, the rate would be somewhat lower.

#20 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

Couple novice questions:

(1) Looking at the FAQ, it appears that you must either plug directly into the wall or use their powerstrip ... so I assume I can't purchase the single-plug option and plug into an existing powerstrip, correct?

(2) When I look at the purchase options, it's $35 for a wall mount and $60 for the powerstrip. Does the $35 wall mount include hardware for both ends of the connection (1 for the receiver end and 1 for the router end)? Or do I need to purchase 2 wall mount kits?

Thanks,
Chris

1. Yes..as long as the power strip is not a surge suppressor. It has to be a plain power strip.

2. You will need two kits..one for each end =$70
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...