Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Add a series with no episodes?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

Please point me to the previous post about this, I know someone has asked but just can't enter the right search conditions to find it (found stuff about deleting/editing a series with no episodes) :(. We just got our HR21-700 and transferred all of our Tivo season passes, except we can't do it for series with no upcoming episodes, including reruns e.g. Heroes, Ugly Betty, Feasting on Asphalt.
I'm guessing there's no workaround, but is it going to be added in an upcoming update?
Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

If there is a way, I don't know about it.

My work around is to keep a piece of paper in my home office with all the SL's we don't have programmed on it. Every couple of weeks, I search for them (looking for reruns).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

Please point me to the previous post about this, I know someone has asked but just can't enter the right search conditions to find it (found stuff about deleting/editing a series with no episodes) :(. We just got our HR21-700 and transferred all of our Tivo season passes, except we can't do it for series with no upcoming episodes, including reruns e.g. Heroes, Ugly Betty, Feasting on Asphalt.
I'm guessing there's no workaround, but is it going to be added in an upcoming update?

There is a workaround involving KEYWORD searches and AUTO RECORD SERIES LINKS (ARSL).

These will work best with series names that are unique, for example, UGLY BETTY, but you'll have a harder time with series names that are short or are common words.

Here's how to set up an ARSL:

• Go to MENU > SEARCH > KEYWORD.
  • Enter your search term, ex: UGLY BETTY
  • Choose a category, like "High Def", or leave it at ALL.
  • Choose CONTINUE to run the search.
  • It will show there are no matching episode
  • Select "Autorecord" from the menu at the left
  • Confirm or specify the recording settings (First Run, Keep at most, etc.)
  • Save your changes
This will add your search term (ex: UGLY BETTY / High Def) to your Prioritizer as a series link, and when episodes finally appear that match your criteria (Repeats, First Run), you will see them in your To Do List. If you want, at that time you can select one of the episodes in your To Do List, press INFO, select Episodes from the menu, and then set up a traditional Series Link and delete the Auto Record Series Link (your KEYWORD search) from the prioritizer.

You're going to have a harder time matching other programs, like "HEROES", for example, as could be a term used in a program description. If you decide to set up an ARSL for a series with a common name, you'll want to look at your To Do List at least weekly and press RED to cancel any upcoming recording that is not exactly what you're looking for. It sounds like a pain but goes very quickly to cancel shows before they are recorded ...

Good luck!

#4 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

Thanks! You're a lifesaver, my wife was a bit displeased when we couldn't add some of her series picks, "You mean I have to manually check for it each week? What the hey!" :). Kinda sucks you can't specify title only vs title & description for the ARSL.

#5 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:59 AM

Thanks! You're a lifesaver, my wife was a bit displeased when we couldn't add some of her series picks, "You mean I have to manually check for it each week? What the hey!" :). Kinda sucks you can't specify title only vs title & description for the ARSL.

Well, I was remiss in not including a pointer to this thread: Advanced Search Tips.

You CAN specify additional information in the keyword search, for example, for HEROES you could use a Boolean keyword "AALL", plus the show name, "HEROES", plus an actor's name, to force the search to match both search terms. (I can't think of any actor's names from that series right now!)

Here's another thread to look at: Help with Boolean Keyword search

If you are creative enough, you may be able to exactly match ONLY the programs you want! :)

#6 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

I'm not doing something correctly here. I did some test search conditions that should get a result, but I get no results:

AALL MONK TONY SHALHOUB --> should get Monk on USA

What am I doing wrong?

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

That search works for me gnahc

#8 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

hm. I'll try it again tonight. Our hr21 was activated on Sat, would it's "newness" be a factor? Maybe it needs to finish downloading guide info or info specific to the channels I can get?

#9 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:48 AM

argh, the test keyword search for AALL MONK TONY SHALHOUB still doesn't work for me :(. I noticed that Spartanstew is running a CE version. I'm running the normal NR version. Is that the reason? sigh.

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:04 AM

Don't think that should matter as long as you have the latest national release (0x1EA, IIRC), which I believe has Boolean search capabilities.

I just tried it again and I get 70 different results for that search (inlcuding SD USA and HD USA)

#11 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

My method is rather crude but it works well for me. I use a key word search on the whatever the title of the show is, then I sort through the results as they are recorded. When the actual show comes up and is recorded I update to a season pass normally as the show will now be found in the guide. I know I know it's crude, but I haven't missed anything I've wanted yet.
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#12 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

Don't think that should matter as long as you have the latest national release (0x1EA, IIRC), which I believe has Boolean search capabilities.

I just tried it again and I get 70 different results for that search (inlcuding SD USA and HD USA)

Found the problem. The HR21-700 NR 0x193 does NOT have boolean keyword search like the HR20 0X1EA does, I found it listed in CE version 0x1F0. That's just super.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...