Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How does your dish work in Wind,Snow,Rain and a ice storm?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JACKTRIP

JACKTRIP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Okay so i am in the north east and the past months i have had
3 Ice storms!, 2 snow storms, heavy rain and today heavy wind!

how does your dish hold up to all of these, and in big heavy snow say 10 plus inches would all it take is a bruch to dust off the dish or have to wait it out till snow stops?? Im about 500 feet above sea level so wondering higher up better reception in bad weather?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rubiconlwb

Rubiconlwb

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

I live in Wyoming, at 6700 feet and our reception is really very good. In the 5 or 6 years we have had Direct TV, we have only lost our signal totally about 6 or 7 times. Once we had a very bad thunderstorm that passed over and we lost the signal for perhaps a couple minutes. The other times have been from accumulations of 2 or more inches of sticky, wet snow. Sweep the dish out and we are back to watching TV again, not a problem at all. I'm not sure if being at altitude is a help or not but this has been our experience.

#3 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

It does not work in very heavy rain but that does not last long here. Wind has no affect and only sticky wet snow collects on the dish. I mounted the dish where I can brush it off with a broom. Wind can only be a problem if there is a tree that the wind can move in the way or if the dish is not mounted correct and can move. 500ft will not help, the sats are at 23000 miles high.

#4 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

My first month, I lost signal constantly - I had an installer come back out and he raised the dish up a bit. Last night we had a terrible storm and I got the 771 message on tuner 1, yet tuner 1 was working just fine.. Not sure what the problem was honestly..

Bottom line is that it goes out more now that I've got HD than it ever did with the smaller dish. Not sure why but I will call DTV again if it happens again..

#5 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

I lost my DirecTV for three days during the ice storm that hit Oklahoma in December... but that was due to the power being out! I'm sure that if I had a back-up generator, we would have had TV back within a few hours otherwise (if not sooner.)

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

Sames as it does in sunshine.

If it is a wet slushy sticky snow... I will occasionally get some build up...

But in general... I have very few signal issues...
NOt even last night in our mini-blizzard.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

I never had a problem with snow, ice, or wind until the last time we had snow about a week ago. My service was out completely for about 2 hours (but so was everyone else with DirecTV in this area. There was even a thread on here about it). The only other time mine goes out is in very heavy rain and it is normally only out a few minutes.

#8 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

only had one time.. the new HD channels started to breakup... and one of those brushes for cobwebs (nylon brush on and extendable pole) fixed it in seconds..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#9 OFFLINE   248 F1

248 F1

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

how does your dish hold up to all of these, and in big heavy snow say 10 plus inches would all it take is a bruch to dust off the dish or have to wait it out till snow stops?? Im about 500 feet above sea level so wondering higher up better reception in bad weather?

Lost some HD and got some pixelation when my dish was covered with snow as pictured. A quick brush and all were back. The photo with the ice, .... no problem with any signals. Only when it REALLY rains hard do I lose service entirely and then for only a few minutes. The rare outages I experience usually occur before the rain even reaches my house. Once it does the signal usually returns, unless it's a real frog strangler. You never did say, how does / did yours fare?

Attached Thumbnails

• icy.jpg
  • snowstorm.jpg

DirecTv since '97
AU9-S w/WB68 > HR20, H20, H10, Samsung TS-360, H21 > Psyclone HDMI selector > (2) 46" Sony Bravia > (1) Sharp 19 LCD < Sony PS3, < Toshiba HD-A2, > Pioneer VSX D814 > Motorola Bluetooth and Pioneer IR Headphones

#10 OFFLINE   FarNorth

FarNorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:36 PM

I live in Alaska. Falling snow has zero affect and since the dishes are aimed so low, there is no accumulation in the dish. Wind has no affect.

I do lose the signal in the summer during heavy rain, 4-5 times a year for less han an hour.

My biggest squawk with my "old" TiVo is that when a program got interrupted for, say, 10 minutes during rain, it wasn't 'smart' enough to resume recording when the signal was restored.

#11 OFFLINE   fratwell

fratwell

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

I lost my Hi Def channels on my AT9 when the snow (wet) 8 inches accumulated on the arms (during one night in Dec) but then came back early morning after the sun came out and melted it...lost only once during this winter season.

#12 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

Like Earl, I only lose signal when I get a wet slushy snow, everything else has no effect.

I've considered putting Rainx on the dish to minimize the slushy buildup. Not sure if anything can stop an ice storm that sticks to vertical road signs! :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#13 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

mine just happens to be right in the sweet spot immune from all the elements. I've had zero loss in the 2 years at this house.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#14 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 737 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

Last night was the true test. 60 mph winds and heavy rain. My signal broke up twice for less than 5 seconds each time in a 1 hr time span. I couldn't ask for anythng better.

#15 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

The snow has had absolutely no negative effect on my reception here.

#16 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

Just heavy wet snow will interfere, rain once in a while. We had strong winds and some snow here last night, blizzard like conditions, and I did not lose signal.:D

#17 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

Well, I guess we'll get another chance to test dish. Winter storm watch for Chicago, maybe 6-10 inches and upwards to 12 in some areas. I hope it misses!!!:(

#18 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Well, I guess we'll get another chance to test dish. Winter storm watch for Chicago, maybe 6-10 inches and upwards to 12 in some areas. I hope it misses!!!:(

I only see a forecast for 2-4 in chi town, which usually means a half inch :sure:

#19 OFFLINE   Billsfan69

Billsfan69

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:31 AM

Well since we had up to 70 mile an hour winds in Buffalo yesterday and my service never went out, I would say Directv does great in wind. I have had problems with heavy, wet snow and heavy rain storms, but more so the wet snow. Funny thing is yesterday a one of my coworkers said her cable went out during the heavy winds. I laughed at her.

spam firewall