Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My current conversation with Sky Angel

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   BabaLouie

BabaLouie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

I'm currently staying with DISH. I am really upset about losing my TVU, but I'm hoping that there is someway we can get TVU added to the Music Video Channel line-up with Dish Network and even DirecTV since they don't charge to uplink their programming...it's not like they don't have enough secular video channels (a few are barely watched at all)...why not add a Christian video channel such as TVU? Maybe we should all write letters to Dish (since we already have their equipment) and request they add it.

Excellent idea.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

as of 2/14/08 this was listed as the current contact info for sky angel:

Nancy Christopher, VP of Corporate Communications of Sky Angel U.S. LLC,
+1-xxxx-xxx-xxxx ext. xxx, nancy.christopher@skyangel.com

Press inquiries
If you're a member of the news media and have questions or would like to request an interview,
please e-mail:
Press@SkyAngel.com

Is it possible her mailbox was just full? or they are sending a phony bounce message? My test message hasn't come back YET She hasn't answered emails in a looong while now, not even with the form letters.

#63 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

What more is there to say? An autoreply would be both minimal and the most she could say.

I'm surprised that the address is still posted publicly. After being in the forums and USENET for many years it probably rakes in 99.999% spam anyways.

#64 OFFLINE   Cloud88

Cloud88

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:03 AM

Well, well, well. I thought Sky Angel was the only busines in town. But from some of these posts I've read, there's "new kids on the block". Hmmmmm, I wonder if Sky Angel noticed. (I'm sure they have.)

#65 OFFLINE   BabaLouie

BabaLouie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

I didn't mean to imply that I am pleased with ALL the channels offered in the Essentials package...I blocked out several of them because of the content. But
the package provides quite a bit of acceptable viewing for my family at this time.

#66 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

Well, well, well. I thought Sky Angel was the only busines in town. But from some of these posts I've read, there's "new kids on the block". Hmmmmm, I wonder if Sky Angel noticed. (I'm sure they have.)

seems like some of the sky angel channels are moving to galaxy 25... Safe tv and cornerstone Network.

#67 OFFLINE   mrjosh

mrjosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

Dish could at least pick a better music background for the Message replacing the Sky Angel channels.

#68 OFFLINE   junjun

junjun

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

I worked as a Customer Service Rep for Sky Angel for over a year. I understand that many of you are upset but what some do not realize is that Sky Angel is a business. Yes, I do agree that the way things were handled was a little bit inappropriate but that's the way businesses survive. It was very difficult to talk to many people on the phone and give them a phony answer to questions that weren't made very clear to us. Unfortunately I don't think that many of the reps can truly understand what is going on since the majority of the reps on the floor are new and don't really know what a Life Long Subscription really is.

#69 OFFLINE   Cloud88

Cloud88

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

Thanks junjun for your comment. It's just that when you're a Lifetime subscriber, and you were treated this way by Sky Angel, and you feel you may have been misled, well, you feel that "upright" Sky Angel did you wrong. You feel cheated, lied to, etc, etc. :-(

#70 OFFLINE   Frostwolf

Frostwolf

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

I'm not a subscriber to SkyAngel as I left dish for equipment failures (tivo lawsuit replacement software stunk), My Father is a lifetime member or was. I think Skyangel could have offered the IPTV equipment at cost + S&H and continued the membership. An Install fee would not seem unfair to me, its not that hard to install. This would keep Skyangels cost at $0 for equipment and only cost in the data stream from a server system. Which is not as much as upsetting so many lifetime members.

Yes I know you have to have broadband, and even satallite broadband could handle iptv, just slower changing channels from what I know of the unit.

Just my two cents.
"I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~ Marcus Cole

#71 OFFLINE   southofi-10

southofi-10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

I worked as a Customer Service Rep for Sky Angel for over a year. I understand that many of you are upset but what some do not realize is that Sky Angel is a business. Yes, I do agree that the way things were handled was a little bit inappropriate but that's the way businesses survive. It was very difficult to talk to many people on the phone and give them a phony answer to questions that weren't made very clear to us. Unfortunately I don't think that many of the reps can truly understand what is going on since the majority of the reps on the floor are new and don't really know what a Life Long Subscription really is.

I was also a lifetime subscriber.probably one of the first.They never sent or notified me that they were dumping satellite feeds from dishnetwork.This is my problem,and anyway you look at it,it is wrong.
They could have at least sent me a letter,like they did so few people.This is not "business" like,expecially for a christian broadcaster.They have lost my business entirely.

#72 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

I guess the big question....... is Sky Angel first Christian or first a "business".
Yes Its possible to be both, but certainly not easy.

Think of the book/movie IN HIS STEPS which led to the WWJD movement when rewritten as WWJD by the authors grandson.

I think sky angel took the wide easy road, placing "business" eg MONEY first. If $$ was not the issue sky angel could certainly have kept the dbs licenses, continued to broadcast DBS as long as satellite held out(be it months or years) and started IPTV at the same time. In the long run they would have retained more viewers.

#73 OFFLINE   southofi-10

southofi-10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

Guess there are several ways to look at tis.
Since my first post above,I've thought about it.Maybe the agreement between the two networks broke down.The 61.5 had lost several transponders that included sky angel programs.I guess maybe dish was obligated to use other transponders for thier ongoing deal.
It could be-just a guess, that this contract was ending,and dishnetwork needed thier transponders back.They are filling the old skyangel slots with HD programming faster than you can say directv.
That is just reasoning.I guess we will never know why SA dropped thier programming.But when you have contracts with DN,it could be hard to re-negotiate,or,renew
This as as many may know here,a ton of good religious programming on FTA (free to air) satellites.Buy the equipment,and the programming is free.

#74 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

If $$ was not the issue sky angel could certainly have kept the dbs licenses, continued to broadcast DBS as long as satellite held out(be it months or years) and started IPTV at the same time. In the long run they would have retained more viewers.

Unfortunately money was the issue ... SkyAngel didn't spend the money on their own satellite and their own uplink so they could keep their own DBS licenses. Instead they signed a deal that has now expired.

It would have been nice to have SkyAngel around for those who subscribed ... but they ran out of money. They could not afford to run a satellite service and I don't believe they ever could. They, and their former DBS subscribers, are fortunate to have had them for the years that they were available --- but it seems that from day one they were operating without enough money to run a successful DBS business.

They were running on a borrowed satellite, on borrowed equipment and, unfortunately, on borrowed time.

Hopefully the channels recently added to DISH Network will spawn more religious channel adds in the future and via DISH the stated mission of SkyAngel --- to go into the world with the Gospel --- can continue. (DISH distribution is certainly more "in the world" than "SkyAngel" ever was.)

Best wishes to SkyAngel in their future.

#75 OFFLINE   southofi-10

southofi-10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

Galaxy 25 (97º W) has many religious programming stations and they are all free to air.That would be the way to go.

#76 OFFLINE   Frostwolf

Frostwolf

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:17 PM

...They never sent or notified me that they were dumping satellite feeds from dishnetwork.This is my problem,and anyway you look at it,it is wrong.
They could have at least sent me a letter,like they did so few people.This is not "business" like,expecially for a christian broadcaster.They have lost my business entirely.

My father did not recieve a letter either. I dunno what he's going to do. I had saved a dish 508 for him to connect ot it, but he will likely get rid of dish as skyangel was the only reason he had dish.
"I used to think that it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~ Marcus Cole

spam firewall