Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is VOD/DOD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

What is this DirectTV on Demand that just showed up with the latest software download. I tried searching the forums for a simple explanation but couldn't find it.

I'm guessing that it's something that works IF

1) I've got the internet hooked (I'd have to put a wireless connection of some kind -- suggestions?) to my HR20 and

2) I'm willing to wait for an entire HD movie/show to be downloaded over not the satellite but the internet.

Did I guess right?

If so, how long does it take to download a 1-hour HD programs assuming a reasonable speed, say 3MB download speed?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:54 AM

Yes you need to have your HR20 connected to the internet for it to work.

If you want to go wireless you need to get an wireless adapter that has an ethernet connection not USB. Some of us are you the Linksys wireless game adapter (WGA54G).

Yes you download the show from a broad band internet connection.

Right now there is only a few PPV HD movies so there has not been a lot of testing. But with 3mb SD is about 1:1 download to watch. So you should be able to watch SD live but HD you will need to download a lot of it first before you can start watching.

The link below should help some more.

http://www.dbstalk.c...aysprune=&f=137

#3 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

From the HD DVR FAQ:

How do I setup my HD DRV+ so that I can I listen to MP3 music and see jpg photos?
Networking Your HD DVR+Media Share Overview

How do I use DIRECTV on Demand to download movies and programs to my HD DVR?
DoD OverviewFAQNetworking Your HD DVR+

- Craig

#4 OFFLINE   MountainMan10

MountainMan10

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:54 AM

Don't confuse MB with mb (mega byte vs mega bit). Download speeds are usually mega bit.

HD needs about 16mb to download in real time.

#5 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

How does DoD compare with cables on demand as far as retrieval rates? I downloaded a movie, Bad Boys, and it took nearly 12 hours. My DSL speed is around 3mb using the Linsys gaming router.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...