Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using a Harmony 880 with two HR20-700s; throwing an OPPO HDMI adapter into the mix...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,271 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

Guys,

Due to an HDVR2 that died--it was among my main A/V setup with an HR20-700 and an HR10-250--I'm looking to relocate one of my other HR20-700s to take the place of this HDVR2. I've got my Harmony 880 configured for several activities, one of which is "Watch HDVR2." Another is "Watch HR20-700."

Q.1: I'm going to want to edit my HDVR2 activity to use on a second HR20-700, but my dilemma is going to be how to get the 880 to control it without controlling the other HR20-700 at the same time. I'm guessing it has something to do with remote codes, correct? Any tips on how to set that up?

Q.2: Because I've already got an HR20-700, HR10-250, and a Blu-Ray DVd player connected to my A/V unit's 3 HDMI inputs, I'd like to be able to use the second HR20-700's HDMI connection as well. What's the recommended way to connect it? Should I use the OPPO HDMI adapter (it's been sitting in storage unused thus far) with the second HR20 alone, leaving the other components connected as is? Or will I have to connect all devices into the OPPO, then the OPPO to the HDTV's HDMI-1?

I'm rather confused on (a) how to connect the OPPO, and (B) once it's connected, will this radically affect my Harmony 880 settings?

Essentially, I've got 4 components using HDMI connections, but only 3 HDMI inputs on the back of my Onkyo 805 A/V receiver. Currently, the Onkyo's HDMI out goes to my TV's HDMI-1 input, with everything working hunky dorey.
Thanks.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=79330
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

1) You can contact Harmony support and they can add the alternate remote codeset for the HR20 for you, so you can select that as a device. I have not done this myself so I don't know the details.

An alternative which may work is to tell the Harmony software that you don't know the model and it will ask you to press a few remote buttons (with the remote set at the AV1/AV2 setting). It may be able to figure it out from that.

2) You add the HDMI switch to the list of devices you want to control, then for each activity, say which devices are in use. In my case, an Octava switch, it already knew about it and the remote codes, so it was easy to say "input 2" or whatever. I would suggest connecting your three HDMI devices to the switch and having one output to the TV. Simpler all around.

Steve

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

1) You can contact Harmony support and they can add the alternate remote codeset for the HR20 for you, so you can select that as a device. I have not done this myself so I don't know the details.

If you select HR20-700S3 as your device the Harmony will already be setup using the 00003 codebase.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

If you select HR20-700S3 as your device the Harmony will already be setup using the 00003 codebase.

I must have done something wrong as I did this, and it's not working for me.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#6 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

2) You add the HDMI switch to the list of devices you want to control, then for each activity, say which devices are in use. In my case, an Octava switch, it already knew about it and the remote codes, so it was easy to say "input 2" or whatever. I would suggest connecting your three HDMI devices to the switch and having one output to the TV. Simpler all around.

So I'd need to edit each activity to include the OPPO switching to that particular device, correct?

BTW, if I've got 4 HDMI devices and the OPPO only allows for 3 HDMI connections, how do I set this up? You mentioned connecting my three HDMI devices to the switch and having one TV input. Well, first, the connections have to go through my Onkyo A/V receiver and aren't going to be connected to the TV directly. Second, with a 4th HDMI device in play here, I'm trying to figure out how this whole configuration should look.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#7 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:18 AM

I too have four HDMI devices and a three-input switch as well as an HDMI-switching A/V receiver with two inputs. Here's how I do it.

Two of the devices connect to the A/V receiver. The HDMI output of the receiver goes to input 1 of the switch. The remaining two devices connect to inputs 2 and 3 of the switch. The switch output goes to the TV. Digital audio is handled with coaxial digital connections to the A/V receiver. When I want to watch a device connected to the HDMI inputs of the receiver, I choose input 1 on the switch.

Yes, you edit the activities to add the switch.

Steve

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

I too have four HDMI devices and a three-input switch as well as an HDMI-switching A/V receiver with two inputs. Here's how I do it.

Two of the devices connect to the A/V receiver. The HDMI output of the receiver goes to input 1 of the switch. The remaining two devices connect to inputs 2 and 3 of the switch. The switch output goes to the TV. Digital audio is handled with coaxial digital connections to the A/V receiver. When I want to watch a device connected to the HDMI inputs of the receiver, I choose input 1 on the switch.

Yes, you edit the activities to add the switch.

Why would coax connections be needed for audio when HDMI passes audio as well as video? If you're telling me that the OPPO switcher won't pass audio along with video, then that defeats the whole purpose of even having HDMI. Moreover, I've got several devices connected to my digital audio slots on my A/V anyway and won't have the room for anything else.

#9 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

The way I have mine set up, HDMI feeds only video to the TV - audio is processed by the A/V receiver. I suppose another option is to have the HDMI switch feed the A/V receiver, but in my case, my receiver does not handle HDMI audio reliably so I have chosen to stick with coax.

I would expect any HDMI switch to also switch the HDMI audio.

Steve

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

The way I have mine set up, HDMI feeds only video to the TV - audio is processed by the A/V receiver. I suppose another option is to have the HDMI switch feed the A/V receiver, but in my case, my receiver does not handle HDMI audio reliably so I have chosen to stick with coax.

I have mine setup close to the same as you.

I have the Octava 4 port HDMI switch that also switches optical audio. I then send the optical audio output to my Kenwood receiver and the HDMI output, which still has audio, to the TV.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

I must have done something wrong as I did this, and it's not working for me.

I'm the one who created the HR20-700S3 alias so unless someone has changed it and re-submitted that to Harmony it should be working fine. Make sure you have followed my step by step in the post that I posted a link for above to setup your HR20 to use the 00003 codebase or it won't work.

If someone has messed with it all I have to say is... Why can't people leave things alone??
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

I have mine setup close to the same as you.

I have the Octava 4 port HDMI switch that also switches optical audio. I then send the optical audio output to my Kenwood receiver and the HDMI output, which still has audio, to the TV.

Nice switch - I couldn't justify that price so I've got the Monoprice HDMI switch (to TV) and Impact Acoustics optical switch (to A/V receiver). Gotta love the Harmony remote as it handles it all without issue.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#13 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

I use this and it works perfectly.

Bob

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 05:23 PM

Nice switch - I couldn't justify that price so I've got the Monoprice HDMI switch (to TV) and Impact Acoustics optical switch (to A/V receiver). Gotta love the Harmony remote as it handles it all without issue.

Yeah, I love the switch. Works perfectly.

Every once in a great while I'll get a sync issue when changing inputs but I think that may be because of my TV.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

It asked if I really meant HR20-700SD. If I say no, then it just shows HR20-700 as the model. Is this to be expected?

Steve

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

sbl, I hope you don't mind my double-checking something: if I do use the OPPO switch like I want, it does pass the audio through to/from my Onkyo 805, does it not?

#17 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:17 AM

It should - if it doesn't, it's broken. I don't depend on audio through HDMI (I use an Octava switch) because my A/V receiver often does not lock on to the audio (video is fine), even over a direct connection.

I don't understand why you'd want to pass audio from an A/V receiver, though.

If everything is working as it should, then using the HDMI switch to feed the A/V receiver, without separate audio connections, is a fine way to go.

Steve

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

I think you're confusing what I'm saying. Of course my Onkyo passes through the audio. I just found it strange that with HDMI--which passes both video and audio, unlike component, which passes only video--you were also connecting audio cables. That defeats the very purpose of having HDMI, because HDMI connections preclude having to use a separate audio cable to connect like you do.

Hence my asking earlier why you connected HDMI with the OPPO switch then connected audio cables at the same time. The latter aren't necessary unless the OPPO didn't allow the audio to pass through.

I'm still beginning to wonder if my A/V will properly decode the audio, and if your original configuration above is the correct one. Perhaps I should just look for a 4-1 HDMI switch or connect my second HR20-700 via component with audio cable connection. The only problem is that I've maxed out my digital audio inputs with other devices.

#19 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

I'm not using an Onkyo receiver. As I said above, I run the audio cables separately because my receiver (a 2.5 year old Sony) doesn't always accept HDMI audio (a receiver bug, not from a switch). I'd expect more recent receivers to handle this better. HDMI was still often flaky in 2005.

Steve

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,271 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

OK. That makes sense.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...