Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need legal advice regarding DTV and HR21-700 freezing all the time

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

When in the heck are they going to fix the ****ing freezing problems? I'm fed up and want them to fix the damn problems with the HR21-700 freezing constantly. No buttons work on DVR or remote yet picture and sound work. I'm sick of this.

I had the CE build from Feb 1 and no problems, why then was I downgraded!

DTV will not refund me any $. They don't seem to want to do anything to help.

I really need to know what I can do. My parents won't cancel the service. So what in the world can we do?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:26 PM

When in the heck are they going to fix the ****ing freezing problems? I'm fed up and want them to fix the damn problems with the HR21-700 freezing constantly. No buttons work on DVR or remote yet picture and sound work. I'm sick of this.

I really need to know what I can do. My parents won't cancel the service. So what in the world can we do?

You can start here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=90847

Then read this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=90847

Take special notice of "You should ONLY download a CE version if you know what you are doing and are 100% willing to take the risk."
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

What type of legal opinion do you want?

You can sue, but expect to pay a lawyer more than you would ever win. This should be an absolute last resort.

You can send a complaint to your state's office of consumer affairs and/or attorney general.

In either case you really will have had to fully exhaust all of your options with DirecTV first

I would start by keeping a log of all communications on the issue.

Call DirecTV's customer service department and explain the issue.
If that doesn't get you an acceptable solution, then...
Send a letter to DirecTV stating the problems and include a log of all communications and efforts made to date to correct the issues.
Make sure you keep a copy of the letter for yourself and send it via a form of signature upon receipt delivery.

Remain polite and proof read your communications for grammar, spelling and content before sending.

#4 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:06 PM

Not a legal solutuion and perhaps not something you want ot consider but perhaps it's running too hot. You can try something like the Targus Chill Pad generally available for ~$20. They have definiely helped mine.

Not saying you should need to spend another $20 to get thir DVR to work, but it might just do the trick if you are open to trying.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#5 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:15 PM

Just curious how you were downgraded?

Also - do you have the Protection Plan?

If you post more specifically, maybe we can help you.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#6 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

You know (I'll get this out of the way first), I just LOVE folks who on a forum/board seem to find it a 'need' not to put what city/DMA they are in. That would tell folks what kind of signal level you 'should' have, and with any kind of reports you say on which channels exhibit the problems, put it in the 'matrix' of possibilities. Nobody can tell where you actually are, so...

Now that that's out of the way, all of these types of problems never seem to zero in on the biggest potential problem, i.e., the dish/coaxial plant they're connected to.

First, any other HD machines also attached, are they having any problems, and what model numbers are they? If SD, same question. Which channels, spot-beam locals or nationals?

Of the handful of receivers that have been reported as 'bad' to the companies I do consulting to (single-family systems, non-MDU), virtually every one of them worked just peachy, when put on my 'test' bench (my dish and extra cables/multiswitch).

One thing you can try, if it appears to be happening on every channel, is trying it on a different set of cables (swap out to another location), particularly if that location has no problems. If that location is SD only, take a look at how it reacts there; if it still has the same problems (both SD and HD), then if the original SD set at that location had no problems, then re-do a dish setup, and select 101sat only. Write out a matrix of how you test things out, and again, maybe try it at a location that has an HD (best is another DVR of equal or another model type), and go from there.

It can, and will, get complex. But it will help you come either to the conclusion that there's something wrong with the original install, or the box itself; then again, the HR21-700 is still fairly new, and my experience with it is nill, as the customers here won't deal with a system that doesn't do OTA.

But anyway, explain the full system (Dish, mutliswitch if any, and other receivers on the base system, and all the cable runs), and give folks a bit more to work with.

Satellite (DirecTV or otherwise) requires, still, a bit more customer 'participation' in the process than, say, cable. That's why your bill is about half. Normally, folks might say, get the tech out there, but most (or better) of what they'll do, you can do yourself, hopefully.

This is a long response, but basic troubleshooting methodology is a 'lost art', in America these days, where nobody in their right mind tries repairing much beyond changing out a light bulb. I rebuilt a couple cars when I was a kid, I wouldn't touch what's in the garage now with a 10-ft. pole. But with simple stuff as DBS satellite, there's a few things you can try to narrow things down.

#7 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

What he said. :lol:
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#8 OFFLINE   killy

killy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

What you need to do is cancel, literally cancel until they transfer you to the retention department. These are the only people that will actually get you some of your money back. Then once they make their offer, you can tell them you want to continue your service, based on their offering.

#9 OFFLINE   patsrule316

patsrule316

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:17 AM

Mine does something very similar. I just got it 2 1/2 weeks ago. Whenever I turn on the unit, everything works fine. I can hit one button (usually list or something) and it works, but then after that one button press, everything freezes, but the video and audio still play. Fortunately (if you want to call it that), control usually comes back in about a minute and then everything works fine.

I am really hopeful that the national release (which hasn't hit us on the east coast yet) will fix this.

One thing I may try is to turn off the blue ring and then keep the Hr21 on and not turn it off. The problem only seems to happen right after I turn on the unit. That just occurred to me to try as I was typing this.

#10 OFFLINE   fusion04

fusion04

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:57 AM

My HR21-700 started acting a little strangely last night so I decided to reboot it. When I did, I tried the "0 2 4 6 8" trick "just in case" the new s/w was available to me (in NC). The new version was downloaded and installed. You might want to give that a try, if yours has not already picked it up on its own.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

Please explain what you mean by downgraded. Obviously you're having some problems but are you saying that you are currently running software that has a lower version number than the CE you downloaded on February 1 (version 0x1EF I think?)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:31 AM

So this is your parent's account and they don't have a problem with it?

#13 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

So this is your parent's account and they don't have a problem with it?

Just noticed that myself...

Maybe they should be calling since you're not the account holder.

#14 OFFLINE   jheda

jheda

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

I put a laptop cooler under my hr21-700 after the first week and have not had a single issue.... try it..i got it at BB....

JHEDA

we miss you EARL

[SIZE="2"]Hr-24
Hr21-700 
Sony kds60a2000 yamaha 750 DD5.1 via components
Samsung DVD player via hdmi..r10 in playroom:)

#15 OFFLINE   pprather

pprather

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

As said earlier, the more information to start the better we can help you. How are outputs on your box connected? Component/HDMI/HDMI to DVI/ Are you connected directly to a TV or to a receiver? How are the coax cables connected from the dish, etc. etc.

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Legal advice? Hmm, how about not repeating yourself in topics?
http://www.dbstalk.c...587#post1451587
http://www.dbstalk.c...593#post1451593
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#17 OFFLINE   buggs1a

buggs1a

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

Feb 1 CE build, NO freezes ever. Freezes on all other firmware.

Cables can't make your buttons stop working nor can anything else in my opiniion. However the key is No freezes using Feb 1 CE software.

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

Then try a replacement.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#19 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:45 AM

How many times has it locked up??

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#20 OFFLINE   m4p

m4p

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:34 PM

I know this probably isn't your problem, but have you tried plugging it into a different outlet? Also, I would still suggest trying different cables as well. Could be something really simple.

Are you on a CE release now? You still haven't answered a lot of questions people have asked you. It's hard to help someone who gives very little information.

HR24-500 HDMI to Sharp LC-52D62U LCD, native on
Networked using Netgear R6300
Harmony 670 remote

Protected By... spam firewall...And...