Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upside down dish !!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BobV

BobV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:33 PM

Will a sat dish work upside down ?

Here is what I am thinking;
(1) I would like to keep my HD DTV dish just like it is.
(2) Add an arm on top with the lnb's facing down.

If it is possible then one can have DTV and FTA on the same dish.

So what do you thick ?
What about Bob ?
" baby steps "

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

Very likely no. The other arm would likely not be in the sweet spot of the reflected signal and/or would somewhat block the signal from the satellite anyway.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3 OFFLINE   BobV

BobV

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

Later on down the road I will give this a try just to put my curiosity at bay !!
Maybe this sping...:)
What about Bob ?
" baby steps "

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:54 PM

Sorry, BobV. The second LNB would be pointing somewhere else completely.

Installing a dish upside down has been done (usually for low look angles where the dish won't flex down enough) but not with "top" LNBs and "bottom" LNBs.

Think of the dish as a mirror ... reverse the path with a flashlight into a mirror at home at the same angle that your offset dish LNB is aiming at the dish. Where the spot from the flashlight is on the wall or ceiling would be where the satellite would have to be to be seen by the LNB. Then put another flashlight above the mirror pointing down ... where does that spot end up? Somewhere completely different.

spam firewall