Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DOD questions.....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   amahdi

amahdi

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

1) For DOD, if a get a get a wireless ethernet adapter, which simply converts the wired ethernet signal into wireless - would it be fine for DOD or should I go with the powerline solution?

2) Also - after I get the DOD working - do I need something else to connect my PC to the receiver if I want to download music, pix, etc? Is that called media share?

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

1) A wireless adapter with an ethernet connection works great. I have a Linksys WGA54G game adapter and it works great for DoD and Media Share for me.

2) Besides having your HR20/21 and your PC networked to a router there is nothing else you need to connect between the two. You just need to have a media player like WMP11 and there are a few others that work. You need to allow the HR20/21 to share with it and you will see a new Music & Photo's option added to the menu on the HR20/21.

Yes that is called Media Share.

#3 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:16 PM

1)
2) Besides having your HR20/21 and your PC networked to a router there is nothing else you need to connect between the two. You just need to have a media player like WMP11 and there are a few others that work. You need to allow the HR20/21 to share with it and you will see a new Music & Photo's option added to the menu on the HR20/21.

Ok, I am a self admitted noob when it comes to this sort of thing.
How do you get WMP11 to share with the HR20?:confused:
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

Ok, I am a self admitted noob when it comes to this sort of thing.
How do you get WMP11 to share with the HR20?:confused:

Right click the top bar on WMP11-->Tools-->Options-->Library-->Configure Sharing-->check the "Share my media to" box-->You should see a unknown device. Allow it and you should get a new "Music & Photo's" option added to your HR20 menu.

#5 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

Right click the top bar on WMP11-->Tools-->Options-->Library-->Configure Sharing-->check the "Share my media to" box-->You should see a unknown device. Allow it and you should get a new "Music & Photo's" option added to your HR20 menu.

Nope. Didn't work.

Now it's there. I closed WMP11 and it showed up in my HR20 menu. I guess you can't have both running at the same time?

#6 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:48 PM

I couldn't get WMP11 to work with my HR20-700 after trying for a few hours. I downloaded TVersity for free. It has support for DirecTV DVRs built in, a codec pack that will transcode most everything and it was working in minutes.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#7 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

Thank you very much.
This is very cool.

#8 OFFLINE   Dr_J

Dr_J

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:55 PM

Just curious, does WMP10 work?

#9 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

Just curious, does WMP10 work?

No, you need to upgrade to WMP11.

#10 OFFLINE   amahdi

amahdi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

1) A wireless adapter with an ethernet connection works great. I have a Linksys WGA54G game adapter and it works great for DoD and Media Share for me.

Thanks for the info. I will get a wireless adapter. Just out of curiosity, why does anyone use powerline adapters if wireless does the same thing?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...