Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite lobbying push could mean higher cable bills

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vansmack

vansmack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, but I didn't see it in the DirecTV threads and I rarely visit the others. I love a good tax discussion.

Satellite lobbying push could mean higher cable bills
Posted by Anne Broache | 3 comments

WASHINGTON--In a political gambit that could lead to higher fees for cable providers and their subscribers, the satellite television industry urged politicians on Thursday to enact a federal law prohibiting "discriminatory" taxes.

DirecTV and Dish Network executives argue that the federal legislation is needed because six states--Ohio, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Utah--have enacted laws in recent years that impose steeper taxes on satellite subscribers than on cable subscribers. They claim that those laws are a direct result of cable industry lobbying in an effort to make their prices more competitive with those charged by satellite operators.

There's more...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

Yep, I remember the big cable guys telling my state about all of the revenue the state could get if they would tax the SAT customers.
The thing is the cables taxes are for the use of the public right-a-way [the utility poles] which the SAT providers don't use.
I guess some states swallowed the BS.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

I guess some states swallowed the BS.

Tell me about it.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#4 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

This comment on the article hits the nail on the head.....

Posted on: February 15, 2008, 3:29 PM PST
Story: Satellite lobbying push could mean higher cable bills

The article utterly failed to deliver on it's headline. It failed to explain how preventing satellite TV from being unilaterally taxed is going to cause cable bills to go up.

How would that work??? Cable companys raise rates in a fit because they couldn't get congress to put a tax on their competitors?

The article read more like a PR release from the cable industry that was repackaged by a lazy reporter to try to make it look like they were reporting some real news.

#5 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:27 PM

This comment on the article hits the nail on the head.....

Posted on: February 15, 2008, 3:29 PM PST
Story: Satellite lobbying push could mean higher cable bills

The article utterly failed to deliver on it's headline. It failed to explain how preventing satellite TV from being unilaterally taxed is going to cause cable bills to go up.

How would that work??? Cable companys raise rates in a fit because they couldn't get congress to put a tax on their competitors?

The article read more like a PR release from the cable industry that was repackaged by a lazy reporter to try to make it look like they were reporting some real news.

Perhaps it was meaning more the fact that the Sat tax would not go away, but to be fair a cable tax would also be instated, aka raising the costs of cable since there is an additional tax.

#6 OFFLINE   d max82

d max82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:12 AM

I hope this bill gets fast-tracked, with that added language that cable rates can't go up to match satellite.

Not sure where they got Florida's tax rate of 10.8%, Its actually 13.17%.
And it REALLY sucks.

spam firewall