Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Christian Channels on DISH

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:37 PM

Does anyone know what DISH will do after 3/31/08 when SKY ANGEL ceases DBS broadcasting. I can't get any info from DISH. I would like them to carry at least the same channels as DIRECT TV.

I just received a letter from SA alluding that DISH will carry Angel1, Angel 2, and KTV.

Anyone have any info.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ragamuffin

ragamuffin

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

the only letter I received from SA was the undated, no return address letter from sa telling me that lifetime membership not continue,

someone needs to get legal advice on this, don't you think?

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

Most of the channels (if not all) that DirecTV carries are carried as paying PI channels at a special rate. Because of their contract with SkyAngel DISH has not been able to add religious channels as PIs and has been forced to add other channels instead (there are legal minimums for the number of PIs DISH and DirecTV must have).

After SkyAngel leaves satellite the contract dies and DISH will be able to add religious channels at will ... but the PI slots are taken. Perhaps they will work something out with a few broadcasters to give them PI rates to remain on DISH ... I expect that they are still making those deals (which is why we don't hear anything - DISH generally doesn't discuss new channels in negotiation). But I don't expect DirecTV's lineup to appear on DISH.

I hope whatever lineup DISH pulls off is better than DirecTV or SkyAngel.

#4 OFFLINE   tsrk30

tsrk30

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

I would pay $10-20 a month just to have TVU, RADIOU, SpiritTV and the Worship Network on Dish!

#5 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

Most of the channels (if not all) that DirecTV carries are carried as paying PI channels at a special rate. Because of their contract with SkyAngel DISH has not been able to add religious channels as PIs and has been forced to add other channels instead (there are legal minimums for the number of PIs DISH and DirecTV must have).

After SkyAngel leaves satellite the contract dies and DISH will be able to add religious channels at will ... but the PI slots are taken. Perhaps they will work something out with a few broadcasters to give them PI rates to remain on DISH ... I expect that they are still making those deals (which is why we don't hear anything - DISH generally doesn't discuss new channels in negotiation). But I don't expect DirecTV's lineup to appear on DISH.

I hope whatever lineup DISH pulls off is better than DirecTV or SkyAngel.

Thanks for the explanation

Terry

#6 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 07:33 AM

Thanks for the explanation

Terry

What if DISH made a new package of the fromer Sky Angel Channels?

They are almost all FREE TO CARRY.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:15 AM

I'm sure the channels would allow themselves to be carried free, but DISH charges for their transponder space. (So does DirecTV, for that matter.) A best case scenario would be getting enough subscribers to pay for a "religious" package to pay for that transponder space ... but at $150,000* per transponder completely carrying the old SkyAngel service would cost $300,000 per month (or at 12 video channels per transponder, $12,500 per channel per month).

So either DISH would have to market this, and charge enough for the service that the number of subscribers would break even and create a profit ($10/mo would require 30k subscribers to break even - more for a profit) or DISH more simply could just charge the channels $12,500 each for carriage and let them do their own fundraising (at THEIR risk) to be distributed by DISH.

It sounds mercenary ... but satellite carriage is a business and charging for space is EXACTLY what DISH and DirecTV does with nearly all of their "Public Interest" channels (some may compensate the satellite carriers in other ways).

And, toward what was the stated goal of SkyAngel to fulfill the great commission, getting the message on DISH via a method where people don't have to pay in advance to hear the Word of God. :)

* Transponder cost based on what NPS is charging to lease a transponder for Distant Network TV, as reported in court documents.

#8 OFFLINE   terrymr

terrymr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

I'm sure the channels would allow themselves to be carried free, but DISH charges for their transponder space. (So does DirecTV, for that matter.) A best case scenario would be getting enough subscribers to pay for a "religious" package to pay for that transponder space ... but at $150,000* per transponder completely carrying the old SkyAngel service would cost $300,000 per month (or at 12 video channels per transponder, $12,500 per channel per month).

So either DISH would have to market this, and charge enough for the service that the number of subscribers would break even and create a profit ($10/mo would require 30k subscribers to break even - more for a profit) or DISH more simply could just charge the channels $12,500 each for carriage and let them do their own fundraising (at THEIR risk) to be distributed by DISH.

It sounds mercenary ... but satellite carriage is a business and charging for space is EXACTLY what DISH and DirecTV does with nearly all of their "Public Interest" channels (some may compensate the satellite carriers in other ways).

And, toward what was the stated goal of SkyAngel to fulfill the great commission, getting the message on DISH via a method where people don't have to pay in advance to hear the Word of God. :)

* Transponder cost based on what NPS is charging to lease a transponder for Distant Network TV, as reported in court documents.

Thanks so much.

I am learning a lot.

Terry

#9 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

It appears that dish is planning on either a Christian package and/or adding a few Christian channels to the existing family package. another month or so will tell. If the person who recieved the card calls the phone # for skyangel they may get more info :)

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:35 PM

After all, SkyAngel has always been an excellent source of factual information. :rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

True BUT skyangel is sending out flyers/cards offing to sign you up for DISH if you can't receive IPTV. They state tht you will then be able to receive angel 1, angel 2 AND KTV. therefore skyangel must know something.............

Of course they are proably gettting the $50 referral fee or something

#12 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

Just to make sure people understand that not all religious channels are leaving Dish on 3/31, here is a list of religious channels that will stay:

Religious:
260 TBN 119°
261 EWTN 119°
262 Angel One 119° (This channel will remain on Dish)
263 Daystar 119°
9408 Starfish TV Network 61.5°/129°
9413 Almavision 61.5°/129° (spanish)
9417 Educator TV 61.5°/148° (many classic TV and movie shows)
9710 3ABN 61.5°/129°

Channels owned by religious organizations:
9403 Brigham Young University TV
9416 Good Samaritan Network 61.5°/148°

The four "family" channels on Sky Angel have also been on Dish for some time:
Hallmark
Hallmark Movie Channel
HGTV
Fox News

The only problem is really "packaging" at this point, but the "family pack" along with the Public Interest pack will give you most of these.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#13 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:58 AM

If I am reading your post correctly though those channel are on a total of 4 different satellites. How would we be able to receive them all?

#14 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:11 AM

Actually anyone with a dish 500 pointed at 119°/110° and another at 61.5° would be able to get them all.

Some are at 119°
A couple are at 110°
Some are at 61.5°

Some of the channels at 61.5° are mirrored at 129°, others are mirrored at 148°.

Most of the country can get 61.5°.
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#15 OFFLINE   krazy k

krazy k

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:56 AM

Actually anyone with a dish 500 pointed at 119°/110° and another at 61.5° would be able to get them all.

Some are at 119°
A couple are at 110°
Some are at 61.5°

Some of the channels at 61.5° are mirrored at 129°, others are mirrored at 148°.

Most of the country can get 61.5°.

I know my comments in the past regarding sky angel have been pretty negitive,,,,

but i cant wait till March 31 to see them off Dish..,,
dish will carry new christian channels ,,,
Why would they not....
Direct tv offers a good selection of christian channels why push someone to the competitor when they have the equipment in there house......

Dish will probley come up with a promo where you get a new dish and will install it for free.... they dont want to lose potential customers.,....

With that being said ,,,,, March 31 hurry up already......

Only other important date to remember is March 30 wrestlemania Sunday... ha ha
krazy

#16 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:46 PM

Well I called DISH and DISH told me NO, they will NOT carry angel 2 or ktv. Even spoke with a "supervisor".

Called sky angel and they told me YES, anel 1,2 and ktv will be on dish FAMILY and that I could sign up though SKYANGEL for $24.99 a month!

so either dish is WRONG and they will be including the sky angel channels on the family package and raising the price OR this is a special available ONLY through sky angel. if that is the case then sky angel is indeed still in the DBS business.

Guess what that SHOULD mean? sky angel should, have to provide those 3 channels to lifetime members! A far cry from what we signed up for but still..........

Of course sky angel insists that lifetime is ended but this makes it appear we might just have more of a leg to stand on!

#17 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

The $24.99 price would include local channels. Without locals it's 19.99.

I too have received conflicting stories on the fate of Angel 2 and KTV. Dominion says it's staying on Dish. Dish reps say they aren't.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#18 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

The $24.99 price would include local channels. Without locals it's 19.99.

I too have received conflicting stories on the fate of Angel 2 and KTV. Dominion says it's staying on Dish. Dish reps say they aren't.

See ya
Tony

I do not, I repeat do not have any inside info, but my guess is that E* will likely add these channels on April 1. E* csr's and csr supervisors are not high enough up the corporate food chain to know one way or other. If Sky Angel is publicly saying this, their is probably something to it, we all know how tight lipped E* can be when it comes to adding new channels. I could be wrong on all of this but I also suspect these channels will be added to all the basic packages, I suspect Sky Angel only mentioned DishFamily because it is the cheapest basic package and the one they feel the majority of their subs would be interested in. I also suspect that this was part of the deal when E* negotiated with SA to take over those 6 frequency's permanently.

#19 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:05 PM

I don't know. I asked sky angel about the "locals" as Dish says I can't receive locals in my area. sky angel said its the dish family plus sky angel channels for $24.99.

dish told me I can get the dish family, NO sky angel other than angel 1 for $19.99.

someone doesn't know what is going on, despite the current flyer and letter

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

Once again, I would not trust SkyAngel to be an expert on DISH Network pricing.
DISH Family is a $24.99 w/locals package.
DISH Family is a $19.99 w/o locals package that currently contains Angel 1.

Trying to piece together the future from tea leaves in the bottom of a cup of hot chocolate is silly - especially if one makes emotional comments and decisions based on obviously flawed information.

spam firewall