Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-700 OTA Sensitivity Question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

A week ago, I went to check my OTA signal strength and noticed something odd. 2 of my OTA channels (previously 95-100%) now read between 55-65%. My other OTA channels read as they did when I enabled OTA on my HR20.

Anyone else notice any OTA signal strength abnormalities?

In case you're in the Sacramento, CA DMA the 2 channels in question are KCRA and KOVR.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

A week ago, I went to check my OTA signal strength and noticed something odd. 2 of my OTA channels (previously 95-100%) now read between 55-65%. My other OTA channels read as they did when I enabled OTA on my HR20.

Anyone else notice any OTA signal strength abnormalities?

In case you're in the Sacramento, CA DMA the 2 channels in question are KCRA and KOVR.

Based on the lack of response, I am going to guess I have an isolated issue.

- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#3 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

Based on the lack of response, I am going to guess I have an isolated issue.

Nope... I just saw this thread.

I also noticed the problem for me. The real issue for me is they had OTA nailed long ago so I simply quit checking and just assumed it would continue to work. And I have no idea what software version it changed on. But it is not as solid as it used to be. Very frustrating and irritating that it got messed with. And if I go straight to my TV with OTA, it is rock solid as always. So it isn't like my OTA setup is messed up.

I do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this!

#4 OFFLINE   sportzfan76

sportzfan76

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:25 AM

I have experienced very similiar problems with my 20-700. OTA has never previousley been a problem until this hardware unit was installed in Nov 07. Now strong signal stations can't be received (by the 20-700) and its hit or miss on everything else. No rhyme or reason....quite frustrating. Pretty much makes recording OTA a non-dependable feature.

#5 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:26 AM

Nope... I just saw this thread.

I also noticed the problem for me. The real issue for me is they had OTA nailed long ago so I simply quit checking and just assumed it would continue to work. And I have no idea what software version it changed on. But it is not as solid as it used to be. Very frustrating and irritating that it got messed with. And if I go straight to my TV with OTA, it is rock solid as always. So it isn't like my OTA setup is messed up.

I do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this!

Your post echos EXACTLY my experience. I had my OTA completely dialed in and stopped checking it months ago. I only started checking it last week when I had major signal loss while watching CBS (KOVR). KOVR used to be 100% without any issue. I have no idea what SW version OTA changed..

I went as far as to pull down my antenna yesterday, replace the 300-75 ohm adapter and I even tried another piece of coax with no improvement.

- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#6 OFFLINE   rjf

rjf

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

actually, i noticed my OTA signals drop drastically from 80-90% now down to 30-40%. it was fine this past thurs, but i noticed the drop friday morning. not sure what happened, but it definitely happened over that night.

#7 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

I'd really like to know what it is exactly they keep modifying with respect to the OTA tuners in these receivers, the H20's included. It used to be, before everything got "chipped," that a tuner was a tuner. There wasn't a bunch of software code that controlled it. The RF went in and the IF came out. So how exactly do you modify software to take a 100%, zero BER signal and turn it into a pixelating signal with a 50% BER? :eek2:
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#8 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

I'd really like to know what it is exactly they keep modifying with respect to the OTA tuners in these receivers, the H20's included. It used to be, before everything got "chipped," that a tuner was a tuner. There wasn't a bunch of software code that controlled it. The RF went in and the IF came out. So how exactly do you modify software to take a 100%, zero BER signal and turn it into a pixelating signal with a 50% BER? :eek2:

Being a fellow ham :) I couldn't agree more. I know I've seen OTA items in the release notes. I am kicking myself that I haven't been paying better attention to my OTA signal strength. I wish I could pin this down to 1 SW release.

- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#9 OFFLINE   gcisko

gcisko

I am Iron Man!

• Registered
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

This sentiment can be said for everything on the box that used to work in one form or another, only to be not right after some software update. And this is what I am not having a "warm and fuzzy" about.

#10 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

I've noticed significant increase in dropped OTA signal with this round. Before rock solid mid-90's numbers and now they are in the 90's but freqently drop off the map (and result in loss of signal/audio and video dropout).
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#11 OFFLINE   TomA

TomA

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:11 PM

I have to say I've seen my 20-700 fluctuate a lot just since November. After going through a lot of antenna adjusting when I had an H20, I finally got the signals strong enough that all the locals came in (70% and above)

After going to the 20-700 in November, I immediately noticed the signal meter issue with everything showing up at 77% max., some lower.

After one of the updates (forgive me, I don't remember which one) fixed the meter issue, it seemed like the signals were all more consistent. Now it seems like something has changed recently (last NR?) and now they're fluctuating, although not as bad as before. :confused:
Tom

AT-9 Slimline
HR20-700
H23-600
H20-100
Hitachi 57UWX20B
Sony STR-K840P

Protected By... spam firewall...And...