Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving posts

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

When you guys Move a post, do you leave a shadow (link) in the original forum? Can your software do that? I'm not familiar with Vbulletin.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,181 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:57 AM

Yes we can do that but it depends on the circumstances surrounding the move. We can also leave "timed" referral links. Meaning the link is there for a pre-determined amount of time and then it disappears.

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

Agree Chris, but I believe that the referral links are mainly for entire thread moves from one forum to another. I believe the poster is asking about individual single posts and not entire threads, in which case I do not believe vBulletin links individual posts. What I do when a post is moved is click on my public profile, and click on find all posts by "xxxx" and then I can find where my post was moved.

#4 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:25 AM

Agree Chris, but I believe that the referral links are mainly for entire thread moves from one forum to another. I believe the poster is asking about individual single posts and not entire threads, in which case I do not believe vBulletin links individual posts. What I do when a post is moved is click on my public profile, and click on find all posts by "xxxx" and then I can find where my post was moved.

Actually, it was a thread I started. I believe that at the time it was moved or deleted, it only contained a single post - mine. At any rate, I was confused when I couldn't find it and I was not notified that it had been deleted.

I think it was originally posted in Dish Network - High Definition Discussion and the title of the post was "Toshiba Throws In The HD-DVD Towel" or something like that. I had placed a note on it for the Mods to move the thread in they saw fit - which either they did or they deleted it outright.

I'm more used to phpBB, which has the Shadow link function to let you know where your post has been moved.

Just the same, I appreciate the replies.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

I think Chris and Jason covered it. Give the description you just made if it was moved it would not most likely contain the link because it appears that an HD DVD thread would be most likely not have a strong association to Dish Network so having it linked would make no sense.

Usually linking is used when a thread is moved but there is still some association so that the thread can get maximum coverage and people would be able to find it in its old and new home.

One way to find the thread is to look at all yours posts. Since it most likely was created recently you should be able to quickly find it. If it is missing from your post listing then possible it was deleted because another thread was already discussing it. Given I know of a few thread already discussing this topic, I would suspect it got merged.

I took a look. Appears it was deleted because it has was already covered in the HD/Blue thread.... We do try and notify the OP if we deleted a thread but sometimes we forget.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:32 PM

By clicking on your profile, and then clicking on other posts by HDT, it found your post almost right , it is post 2292 in the thread below.

http://www.dbstalk.c...155#post1458155

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:40 PM

Also, this was a case where it was moved, then merged into an existing thread. In this case it appears that redirects are severed.

#8 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, guys. I found it. Coming from another discussion site, I found it confusing that I was not notified (email or PM) that my thread had been merged without a shadow link. Almost felt like it had fallen into a black hole.

Thanks again.

Henry
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...