Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Costco DirecTV offer - sounds strange

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:18 AM

Just stopped by a Costco DirecTV kiosk in Sunnyvale today. The sales person seemed to be trying hard to simply sell the service, no matter what question I asked. He was of course pushing the HR21, the "best there is".

Some questions I have about his claims:

1. Signing up with DirecTV from Costco entitles me to 2000 movies from Netflix for FREE, and 4000 others that are at 1.99 (instead of the usual 3.99 or so). Really? Netflix? I could not find much online about this deal/partnership/arrangement.
2. I absolutely do not need a phone line connected to the box, not even for ordering PPV events. Having a network connection is fine.
3. The HR21 has a 1TB hard drive. What? 1 TB? I am most certain it is not the case, but hey, he repeated "yes" when I asked "One Tera Byte?".
4. I can transfer programs from the DVR to a computer and watch them on the computer through some connection options up front.
5. I can add and drop services without any add/drop charges. He gave me an example of adding HBO just for a weekend and canceling it, thereby getting charged "pro rated" (I put it in quotes because he seemed to tell me that as if I did not understand the meaning of the phrase pro rated ;-) )
6. I can add external hard drives of any size to increase the capacity of my DVR.

Some of these seem totally wrong, some seem borderline. Can someone educate me about what this person was saying?

BTW, I did sign up for the Plus HD DVR package. 59.99 for 1 year, with HBO/SHO/etc. free for 3 months, $50 Costco card in the mail, $50 Visa card for Auto Pay, $69.99 + tax for the HR21.

So Costco benefits - reduced price for the HR21 (99 online) and the $50 Costco card. Oh, and since I bought a HDTV recently from Costco, I also qualify for a $200 Costco card for also subscribing to DirecTV HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:01 AM

Here's my take:

1.) He's probably pushing a misconstrued lie/truth about Netflix "View Now" on your PC titles. Also, Netflix doesn't charge per title.

2.) You don't ever need a phone line. You can't order PPV by remote, but all PPV can be done online.

3.) Lie...huge lie.

4.) Nope, another lie...well kinda, lol. I think you can do some type of video capture to PC.

5.) Another lie. I think you are charged $10 if you do the "HBO just for a weekend and canceling it" thing.

6.) True.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:32 AM

Those are generally paid 3rd party reps. You should call Costco and let them know about this.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:54 AM

It's good that you got the reduced price but the rest of the pitch is pure hooey.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:31 AM

Seems like you got a very nice deal on the stuff, but most of what he told you was a lie. Luckly most of it does not make a HUGE difference and is more stuff that would be nice.

A note on #2, supposedly they are going to start letting you order PPV over the internet connection in the future, but as of now they are not.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#6 OFFLINE   richlife

richlife

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:54 AM

What a load of crap! I think you should send a copy of this forum entry to the Costco store manage, Costco headquarters and to DirecTV. DirecTV will suffer the most from these lies as customers sold this bill of lies will complain that "they were told"...
Rich Beaudry
UNC Tar Heel '69, '75
Woodworker, grandfather, DirecTV 1994
Whole-Home Slimline w/ SWM.
A) HR20-700: NR 4aa; HDMI Audio: HDMI, TOSLINK. Res-1080i; Native- On; eSata-No; Remote-RF (2).
B) HR23-700: NR 4aa; Video&Audio HDMI. Res.-720p; Native-On; Network-No; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
C) H23-600: NR 0440; HDMI. Res.-1080p; Native-On; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
TVs: A) Sony 50" Rear Proj KDS50A2000 & VIZIO 22" LCD M220VA; B) Sony 37" Rear Proj KDF37H1000; C) Toshiba 40" LCD 40FT1U

#7 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

Here's my take:

1.) He's probably pushing a misconstrued lie/truth about Netflix "View Now" on your PC titles. Also, Netflix doesn't charge per title.

2.) You don't ever need a phone line. You can't order PPV by remote, but all PPV can be done online.

3.) Lie...huge lie.

4.) Nope, another lie...well kinda, lol. I think you can do some type of video capture to PC.

5.) Another lie. I think you are charged $10 if you do the "HBO just for a weekend and canceling it" thing.

6.) True.

--> So can I view Netflix 'View Now' on DirecTV for free?

#8 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

What a load of crap! I think you should send a copy of this forum entry to the Costco store manage, Costco headquarters and to DirecTV. DirecTV will suffer the most from these lies as customers sold this bill of lies will complain that "they were told"...

I do want to send this to someone at Costco because their good reputation is at stake. I usually think Costco does the screening and provides its members a good deal for a good product. In this case, this guy (I have his ID and phone number) seems to be throwing crap just to get people to buy the HD DVR :-)

In fact he kept telling people how Comcast was all lies with their HD ads showing more HD than satellite. Of course, I did not want to argue with him too much in front of a few other people but he does need to be corrected.

Anyone know the best place to send this at DirecTV? (I will find the appropriate Costco contact myself)

#9 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

Two out of six is hitting .333, that's better than some of the salesmen I have run into.

#10 OFFLINE   willardcpa

willardcpa

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Two out of six is hitting .333, that's better than some of the salesmen I have run into.

Well, you are batting .0000:eek2:
The salesman got him to sign up - that's 1.0000, and as far as the salesman is concerned its the only average that counts!!:D
And he'll be able to sleep tonight, as he only had to tell four "what's it gonna take to sell this guy" versions to move the unit.;)

#11 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

You're right, I missed the fact that he made the sale.

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

A note on #2, supposedly they are going to start letting you order PPV over the internet connection in the future, but as of now they are not.

It's been there for a few months, on the HR20 at least.

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

1. Signing up with DirecTV from Costco entitles me to 2000 movies from Netflix for FREE, and 4000 others that are at 1.99 (instead of the usual 3.99 or so). Really? Netflix? I could not find much online about this deal/partnership/arrangement.

No idea. I would think you'd get some sort of paperwork for this.

2. I absolutely do not need a phone line connected to the box, not even for ordering PPV events. Having a network connection is fine.

Actually true. Everything can be done via an Internet connection, including PPV ordering.

3. The HR21 has a 1TB hard drive. What? 1 TB? I am most certain it is not the case, but hey, he repeated "yes" when I asked "One Tera Byte?".

No.

4. I can transfer programs from the DVR to a computer and watch them on the computer through some connection options up front.

This was shown at CES but no word on when it will be available. It will be an extension on the Media Share. But it's not even in CE testing right now.

5. I can add and drop services without any add/drop charges. He gave me an example of adding HBO just for a weekend and canceling it, thereby getting charged "pro rated" (I put it in quotes because he seemed to tell me that as if I did not understand the meaning of the phrase pro rated ;-) )

Used to but not anymore. You have to keep a premium for 30 days or you'll get charged a change fee.

6. I can add external hard drives of any size to increase the capacity of my DVR.

Very true. Just get an eSata drive, plug it in, reboot and you're done. It does *replace* your internal drive however, it's not additive.

#14 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

Here's my take:

3.) Lie...huge lie.

6.) True.

I know you can order PPV using the remote if you have a network connection on the HR20-700 at least. Not sure about the HR21.
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

Proud DirecTV Subscriber Since September 5, 2007.

#15 OFFLINE   azjerry

azjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:08 PM

So what size internal drive does an HR2x-xxx have? (HR21-200 in my case)

#16 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:17 PM

I do want to send this to someone at Costco because their good reputation is at stake. I usually think Costco does the screening and provides its members a good deal for a good product. In this case, this guy (I have his ID and phone number) seems to be throwing crap just to get people to buy the HD DVR :-)

In fact he kept telling people how Comcast was all lies with their HD ads showing more HD than satellite. Of course, I did not want to argue with him too much in front of a few other people but he does need to be corrected.

Anyone know the best place to send this at DirecTV? (I will find the appropriate Costco contact myself)

Except that if you contact DIRECTV there is not much that can be done, since this is a retailer - what exactly are you wanting done about it?

I can understand being loyal to a place, but not making a complaint about a salesman who makes outrageous lies? Come on...
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#17 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:26 PM

Except that if you contact DIRECTV there is not much that can be done, since this is a retailer - what exactly are you wanting done about it?

I can understand being loyal to a place, but not making a complaint about a salesman who makes outrageous lies? Come on...

I can contact, and will definitely contact DirecTV, but for some strange reason I have come to expect blatant lies from television and cell phone service providers. Not sure what, but there is a sensation at the back of my mind which tells me that the salesperson is not telling me the complete truth, if not blatant lies.

But Costco on the other hand, I have come to trust. The quality of the goods they keep, their customer service, their customer-friendly features (extending warranty on electronics for 1 year for free, for example) and I would not want them to be associated with such rogue salespeople.

I was almost certain I was going to sign up with DirecTV before I went to Costco (just wanted to get any extra promotion that Costco could have been running, which it was). But I saw an innocent couple in front of me who were told 'yes' to pretty much everything they were asking, and I felt a bit sorry for them. I did not want to intrude, and I did not hear what kind of questions they were asking, but he was simply telling yes and was ready to shove the sign up form in front of them.

I want to write to Costco too, because their good reputation is at stake. That's all.

#18 OFFLINE   slimline

slimline

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

im sure its been approved by dtv co-op ...........

#19 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

The hard drive in the HR21 is, I believe, 320 GBs (Far cry from 1 TB).
Also, phone line is not required for anything, UNLESS you want Caller ID on screen (On screen pop-up showing person's name and number).
His answer to # 4 isn't entirely false, but close enough. If you have (Or purchase) a capture card for your computer, you can transfer shows over to the computer. However, it's going to have to be converted to analog first (No digital INPUTS that I know of), and has to be done in real time.

#20 OFFLINE   somekevinguy

somekevinguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:18 AM

The normal price for the HR21 at Costco is $169 on the shelf. How did they work the $100 discount? Did they ring you up there or did you get a special ticket to pay for it up front or what?
Family Room
Sony KDS-60A3000
HR21-700 with 750GB WD drive in Antec MX-1
Onkyo TX-SR805
Toshiba HD-A3
PS3
Wii
Harmony 900 with PS3 adaptor
APC Smart UPS SUA750
Bedroom
Samsung LN40A550
HR21-200
Panasonic DMP-BD30K
Harmony 700
D* since 97 self installed the day I moved into my first house.

spam firewall