Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The List of...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hemi

Hemi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:22 AM

OK, I’ve had two HR21s next to my two HR10s for a little more than a week now, and here is my list of their current limitations in no particular order:

1. 50 Series Link limit
2. No DLB (the manual work around is not sufficient)
3. Unable to control my B&K receiver
4. Kludgy skip to end/slow play (press & hold? Who thought of that?)
5. No skip to tick
6. White remote (Again whose idea was that? :nono2: )
7. Unreliable recording of new releases vs. repeats
8. Can not edit “Channels I Receive” for more accurate searching/recording
9. No suggestions
10. Can not disable Picture in Grid

I’m sure I’m forgetting a few… If I am mistaken with any of the above, please let me know and I’ll be glad to take it off the list.

Dan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   maseace

maseace

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:08 AM

Not sure if it works on the HR21, but on the HR20 you can skip to ticks by holding down FF for a couple seconds.

#3 OFFLINE   cwaters

cwaters

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:23 AM

My HR21 is two weeks old.
I don't expect #1 will be a problem for me.
#2 is a drag.
#6 Color isn't a problem for me but I feel like the arrow buttons and the transport buttons should have been swapped. I use the FF all the time and it seems like it's in the wrong place.
#7 uh huh.
#8 true dat

Other than that... I think I'm ok with it so far.

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

#3 - That is not an issue with the receivers, that is the RC series remote control series, which are independent of the receivers
#4 - Part of that is due to the limiation of the RC series of remote (not enough buttons)
#5 - Since when? I just did it last night
#6 - See #3, and this is DirecTV's standard remote for almost 4 years now.
#7 - Any particular shows? As there are some known shows that don't have proper guide data information.
#8 - A new search option will be available in the next national release, that you will be able to add a channel range limitation on your searches.
#9 - Is a TiVo patent item... so unless TiVo is planning to license it out... There is something similar on DirecTV.com, which will be tied to remote booking. Not the same, but depending on how you use suggestions.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Hemi

Hemi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

Earl,

OK, on #5 when I press and hold the FF button, it sometimes jumps to the end (with occational audio/studder issues) or it just jumps ahead 30 seconds. What do I need to do to get to goto the next tick mark?

Thanks.

Dan

#6 OFFLINE   maseace

maseace

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 02:56 PM

You have to hold down the >> button, not the >| button.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

I agree that the standard remote leaves a little to be desired, but there are several threads devoted to replacement remotes that may serve your purpose.

I also understand your frustration with press-and-hold... that's another piece of the puzzle that relates to the remote.

The only one I take issue with is #7, which is very different from my experiences. There are some shows, like "The Daily Show" that don't give enough guide data to determine the criteria for recording. Also, when you set up a series link, the episode you use always records but it's ok after that.

If you're having missed recordings, take note of the history entry if there is one, and please report it here. They are listening, I promise.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

I find that the skip to tick works like this.
Press and hold >> for at least three seconds, then release and press it again momentarily.

Using a press and hold for skip to tick and also for slow motion is just plain stupid.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

jdspencer's workaround is best for people who've already given up on the white remote.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

jdspencer's workaround is best for people who've already given up on the white remote.

And is just that, a work-around. DirecTV, can we PLEASE get rid of the press-and-hold implementation?
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#11 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

I find that the skip to tick works like this.
Press and hold >> for at least three seconds, then release and press it again momentarily.

Using a press and hold for skip to tick and also for slow motion is just plain stupid.

Yep. Press and hold has got to go. It's one of the poorest UI design decisions/implementations on the DirecTV family of DVRs, and there is no excuse because it’s not like there weren’t already many examples of other devices that did it better. If you are going to re-invent the wheel, and you don’t make it better (or in DirecTVs case make it worse), all you are doing is wasting resources to put out an inferior product.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...