Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-21 Works Using BOTTOM Jack for Connection, not Top??

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   theruska

theruska

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

I have been fighting with my HR-21 600 for days now, getting nothing but Error Code 22, when I saw someone in another post mention the bottom jack working for them. Sure enough, when I plugged my Ethernet cable into the bottom jack it worked instantly.

Am I missing something? Isn't the TOP jack supposed to be the enabled jack, and the bottom jack a pass-through? I even spent an hour on the phone with DirecTV internet support and they kept making me double check that I was using the TOP jack. Yet as soon as I switched to the bottom jack all of my problems were solved and I am now downloading programs.

Can someone shed some light on this? Was it my misunderstanding, or is it possible I was given a bad box with the wrong wiring? I can't believe the number of hours I have put into this, only to have it be the wrong jack!

Tom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,904 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

:welcome_s theruska!

The most important thing is that this works for you. I can't tell you why or how, but hey, all's well that ends well, right?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   theruska

theruska

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

:welcome_s theruska!

The most important thing is that this works for you. I can't tell you why or how, but hey, all's well that ends well, right?

Good point. I just wonder how many other people are fighting the same gremlins needlessly.

#4 OFFLINE   lordbah

lordbah

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:55 AM

Top jack didn't work for me even though I had good connection lights at the jack and at the router. From my PC I pointed my browser at my router and did see the HR21 in the DHCP Clients table. Pulled the cable out of the receiver and plugged it back in and it started working. *shrug*

#5 OFFLINE   scottman

scottman

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:04 AM

Unplugging the ethernet from the back (top slot), counting to 10, plugging back in, and rebooting is the ONLY thing that works for me when I get the "error 22". I have to do this every time the power to the receiver goes out, ie outage, reboot, etc. It never comes back connected unless i do this. :(

I'll have to try the bottom slot tonight. I thought the bottom slot was only used as a bridge, but I'm not real familiar with those.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

Isn't the top jack a pass through to daisy chain other DVRs?
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

Isn't the top jack a pass through to daisy chain other DVRs?

Is the HR21-600 real ? No one has done a first look and Earl had stated previously BB had a typo - but people are still typing that in and it is plastered all over google - so is it real ?

I was thinking if it is a real model then is it possible the jacks are 'flip-flopped' from how the others are?

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

There is no HR21-600 receiver. If this is the one from Best Buy, then there was a typo in their system or they changed the code for some reason. Check under the access card door and I'll bet that it actually says HR21-700.

As for the Ethernet jack, I thought that the bottom one was the Ethernet port and the Top was to daisy chain to another device as well ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   scottman

scottman

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

I've read lots of forums on networking the HR21. I always thought the top was for the internet, and the bottom was the bridge. Isn't it what the CSR's are telling customers for troubleshooting? I hope I am wrong, but then there are a lot of mislead people, including Directv.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

I've read lots of forums on networking the HR21. I always thought the top was for the internet, and the bottom was the bridge. Isn't it what the CSR's are telling customers for troubleshooting? I hope I am wrong, but then there are a lot of mislead people, including Directv.

There may be a difference between the HR21-200 and the -700.
"I think" the -700 uses the bottom connector [top being pass through].
"I know" the -200 uses the top connector [bottom being pass through].
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

This is interesting:

http://www.dbstalk.c...28&postcount=30

Problem solved. The HR21-700 has two network jacks, and it seems that this upgrade disabled my upper most network jack. Unplugging my patch cable and reconnecting it to the lower jack solved the problem.

Sounds like maybe they did change something ? And hence the confusion.

#12 OFFLINE   scottman

scottman

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

omg if thats the case, then I'd say there are a lot of people who've given up on networking because of these internet 22 errors, being plugged into the wrong slot ... me almost for one. I'd just say that, if thats the case, I hope before on demand comes out of beta, that directv figures out what to say. If this is true, this definitely needs to be in a sticky for HR21's because there's a lot of confused and frustrated people. I'm still going to test this tonight, however. If it works, I'll be happy and angry too.:) :mad:

#13 OFFLINE   BK EH

BK EH

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

On our new HR21-700, I plugged in and enabled networking after the 0x1FE update. I used the top jack.

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

There may be a difference between the HR21-200 and the -700.
"I think" the -700 uses the bottom connector [top being pass through].
"I know" the -200 uses the top connector [bottom being pass through].

Thanks VOS .. my memory must be fading with age :nono2:

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

Wow - this really crazy - it really sounds like there are 2 different working configurations for the same hardware. Might be worthwhile to collect verified working ports + s/w version ?

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thanks VOS .. my memory must be fading with age :nono2:

As if mine isn't too? :lol:
I had to look at the back of my -200. Luckily I still have the plastic caps from the factory installed.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

As if mine isn't too? :lol:
I had to look at the back of my -200. Luckily I still have the plastic caps from the factory installed.

:D .. I would have done the same, but I'm not home at the moment :lol:

#18 OFFLINE   scottman

scottman

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

Ok. I found documentation on the HR21-700. I found it here:
DBSTalk.com Presents an Exclusive First Look at …
The DIRECTV HR21-700 HD DVR
By HDTVFan0001 and Drew2k

It states:

Ethernet Ports: 2 - same as HR20-
100, not same as HR20-700; bottom
port is "pass-through" so a 2nd networked
device can be connected
here. On the HR21, the port lights
are green and light-amber, whereas
on the HR20 the port lights are amber
and deep-amber.

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

Ok. I found documentation on the HR21-700. I found it here:
DBSTalk.com Presents an Exclusive First Look at …
The DIRECTV HR21-700 HD DVR
By HDTVFan0001 and Drew2k

It states:

Ethernet Ports: 2 - same as HR20-
100, not same as HR20-700; bottom
port is "pass-through" so a 2nd networked
device can be connected
here. On the HR21, the port lights
are green and light-amber, whereas
on the HR20 the port lights are amber
and deep-amber.

So it's the top connector on both HR21s and the bottom connector on the HR20-100 [top has yet to function], with the HR20-700 having only one connector.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   scottman

scottman

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

Seems to me its saying the HR21-700 ports are the same as HR20-100 (pass thru on the bottom). Honestly this totally makes sense. You want the main port to be on top, secondary on the bottom. Aren't they numbered 1, 2 (I don't remember).

If the OP is indeed using an HR21-700, and is successfully connected to the internet via the bottom port, maybe the ports could have been miswired on some units including his. :nono:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...