Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NASA, NOAA Say Solar Cycle 24 Has Arrived

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

"With the appearance of Sunspot 981 - a high-lattitude, reversed polarity sunspot - on Friday, January 4, experts at NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said that Cycle 24 is here now. 'This sunspot is like the first robin of spring,' said solar physicist Douglas Biesecker of the Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC), part of NOAA. 'In this case, it's an early omen of solar storms that will gradually increase over the next few years.' ......"

"......NASA's (David) Hathaway, along with colleague Robert Wilson at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco last month, said that Solar Cycle 24 'looks like it's going to be one of the most intense cycles since record-keeping began almost 400 years ago.' They believe the next solar maximum should peak around 2010 with a sunspot number of 160, plus or minus 25. 'This would make it one of the strongest solar cycles of the past 50 years - which is to say one of the strongest in recorded history.' ....."

".....violent solar eruptions occur more often on the Sun during an active period. According to NASA, solar flares and vast explosions, known as coronal mass ejections, shoot energetic photons and highly-charged matter toward Earth, jolting the planet's ionosphere and geomagnetic field. This has the potential to effect power grids, critical military and airline communication, satellites and Global Positioning System (GPS) signals....."

".....Many forecasters believe Solar Cycle 24 will be big and intense. 'Solar cycles usually take a few years to build to a frenzy and Cycle 24 will be no exception. We still have some quiet times ahead,' said Hathaway."

_________
Source: QST Magazine, March 2008, p. 59, "Happenings"
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

Huh. I knew it. When I look at the sun, I see spots for hours afterwards. This only confirms what I already knew. 400 years ago I saw no spots, now I see all kinds !
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,355 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

And with increased solar cycle activity comes an increase in global temperatures on Earth. National Geographic had a special on not too long ago that discussed this. While some disagreed, the consensus of most was that solar activity was the only thing that could be proved to affect this planet's climate on such a global scale.

And no conservation or other politically sensitive solution can stop it. Well, there is one solution: we can just turn off the Sun at night. :D

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

While some disagreed, the consensus of most was that solar activity was the only thing that could be proved to affect this planet's climate on such a global scale......

It'll probably be a bit longer then before you can emerge from your "Global Warming Station". :)
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#5 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

Should I load up on Duct tape or was that for something else?

#6 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

And with increased solar cycle activity comes an increase in global temperatures on Earth. National Geographic had a special on not too long ago that discussed this. While some disagreed, the consensus of most was that solar activity was the only thing that could be proved to affect this planet's climate on such a global scale.

And no conservation or other politically sensitive solution can stop it. Well, there is one solution: we can just turn off the Sun at night. :D

On the other hand, things still look rather quiet:

"The sun has gone quiet, really quiet."

Maybe things are about to cool off - both sun spot and temperature wise.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

Yeah! Maybe 15m and 10m will be useful again. I remember all the fun I had with 10m DX to Europe back in the early 90s.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:26 AM

Well, there is one solution: we can just turn off the Sun at night. :D

And tonight, for at least a couple of hours, we can turn off the moon as well!

:gott: http://sunearth.gsfc...ipse/lunar.html

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=119752

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#10 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:46 AM

I thought it was vice versa, more sun spots, cooler earth.

#11 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,355 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:51 AM

Not according to the NG special I watched. In fact, they cited several global cooling periods of the last 2000 years, and each corresponded--perhaps not coincidentally--with a lull in sunspot activity.

Interesting.

#12 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

If we are going to now talk about global warming, and man's effects, how many of you know that between 800 and 1200AD, Scandinavia, Iceland, Scotland, and the high country of England and Wales, farming became common in regions which neither before nor since have yielded crops reliably. In Iceland, oats and barley were cultivated. In Norway, farmers were planting further north and higher up hillsides than at any time for centuries. Greenland was 4deg. to 7deg.F warmer than at present and settlers could bury their dead in ground which is now permanently frozen.
I wonder how long before Al Gore claims credit for that.
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,106 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:32 PM

If we are going to now talk about global warming, ...

No, we're not. Not in the General Satellite forum.

:backtotopic

#14 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

Some of the things that they're talking about with this sun cycle are pretty scary...

"...energetic photons and highly-charged matter toward Earth, jolting the planet's ionosphere and geomagnetic field. This has the potential to effect power grids, critical military and airline communication, satellites "

I think the cable companies put the sun up to this! :grin:

#15 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:05 AM

Ah, but the cable companies get their signals by satellite also, the same satellites used by the satellite companies to receive their programming. :D
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#16 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

Ouch, summarily spanked by a mod :P

I wonder how many of us with good OTA setups are going to be glad we have them, or can this also reach all the way to terrestial OTA ?

No, we're not. Not in the General Satellite forum.

:backtotopic

#17 OFFLINE   N5XZS

N5XZS

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

Good news for ham radio DXing!!!:D :D :goodjob:

2-21-08
"73's N5XZS"
From Timothy C. Johnson
Live Long and Prosper....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...