Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange OTA problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lansbury

lansbury

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

In December I purchased an outdoor OTA antenna. As the weather here in Oregon has been rain it has sat in the corner of the family room about 3ft from the floor on a stool. All the local HD OTA channels came in strong and we've had no problems with it. Only the OPB HD channel had a weak signal. This is connected to an HR20-700

Yesterday I mounted the antenna outside about 14ft higher than it was. It is pointed at 292 degrees, the same as before. The problem is the NBC channel signal is very inconsistent, from 100% to no signal and we get the 771 searching for signal message every couple of minutes. All the other channels the signal strength is improved and the OPB signal is twice what it was.

I've tried rotating the antenna but if anything the signal gets worse on NBC. I'm at a loss as to why moving the antenna outside and elevating it should make one channel signal worse. There are trees nearby but the antenna is positioned such that they shouldn't effect it.

Any idea what I might try to correct the problem.

The antenna has an amplifier on it which came with it from Radio Shack and we are about 7.5 miles from the transmitter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,552 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

This could be a case where the signal is actually too strong. Not sure if that antenna will operate at all without its amplifier. You can get "RF Attenuators" at Radio Shack that will let you reduce the signal level.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   lansbury

lansbury

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:04 PM

This could be a case where the signal is actually too strong. Not sure if that antenna will operate at all without its amplifier. You can get "RF Attenuators" at Radio Shack that will let you reduce the signal level.

Excellent I would never have thought you could have too strong a signal.

I simply unplugged the amplifier and channel 8 was back on OK. It doesn't seem to have adversely effected the signal strength on the other channels either.

Many thanks. :up:

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,552 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:24 PM

Glad that helped. Yes, a signal that's too strong will overload the tuner circuitry and cause problems like you experienced.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   joejhawk

joejhawk

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

What will this do to the other channels? If moving the antenna or adding an amplifier helps the signal on some channels but completely loses another channel, what would the attenuator do?

I have tried to add an amplifier to help improve signals on some weak channels, but I always lose NBC Channel 2 which is the strongest without the amplifier.

Any suggestions?
Samsung 46" - DLP HDMI to HR-20 700 Sony Receiver connected Optical
Vizio 32" LCD HDMI to HR-20 700
Polaroid 26" LCD - DVI to HR-20 100
Sony SAT-60 DirecTivo WITH DLB!!!! dedicated to SlingBox AV

#6 OFFLINE   bt-rtp

bt-rtp

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

litzdog911 rocks and is 100% correct as always. The ATSC tuners in HR20's are prone to being over-driven.

Nothing beats an excellent VHF/UHF antenna design.
HR24-500 with AM21
HR21-200
HR20-700
HR20-100

spam firewall