Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone has sucess using a HDMI splitter with the HR21?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CountryBumKin

CountryBumKin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:27 AM

I want to split the HDMI output of the HR21-200 so one feed would go through my Onkyo 705 and out to my TVs HDMI input #4 (for movies with 7.1 sound) and the other feed would go directly to my TV's HDMI input #5 (for times when I just want to watch TV without turning on the Onkyo). Then I can just use my remote to select Watch TV or Watch Movie and the remote turns on the appropriate devices and switches between the TVs HDMI inputs.

I bought a HDMI (1.3) splitter from monoprice which was advertized as allowing one input (i.e. DVD) to feed two sources (i.e. two Monitors). The problem is that when I hook up the two feeds from the splitter I get no picture from either output. If I unhook one feed, I will get a picture.

Is there a HDMI splitter that will do what I want? Has anyone doen this? Perhaps I need a splitter that actually switches between the two outputs. If this is the solution, I need a splitter that can be controlled by my (Harmony) remote. Any advise or recommendation is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

I want to split the HDMI output of the HR21-200 so one feed would go through my Onkyo 705 and out to my TVs HDMI input #4 (for movies with 7.1 sound) and the other feed would go directly to my TV's HDMI input #5 (for times when I just want to watch TV without turning on the Onkyo). Then I can just use my remote to select Watch TV or Watch Movie and the remote turns on the appropriate devices and switches between the TVs HDMI inputs.

I bought a HDMI (1.3) splitter from monoprice which was advertized as allowing one input (i.e. DVD) to feed two sources (i.e. two Monitors). The problem is that when I hook up the two feeds from the splitter I get no picture from either output. If I unhook one feed, I will get a picture.

Is there a HDMI splitter that will do what I want? Has anyone doen this? Perhaps I need a splitter that actually switches between the two outputs. If this is the solution, I need a splitter that can be controlled by my (Harmony) remote. Any advise or recommendation is appreciated.

I dont know about a splitter but I saw an add for Parts Express that has an actual HDMI switch for around $80 that should work for you a little better.

#3 OFFLINE   InterMurph

InterMurph

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:43 AM

I don't think an "HDMI splitter" makes any sense.

HDMI is a 2-way protocol; for example, the HR21 sends messages to your TV, and the TV sends messages back. The devices use these messages to negotiate resolution, refresh rate, progressive-vs.-interlaced, etc.

A splitter would mean that your HR21 would send messages to two TVs, and receive messages back from two TVs. If those two TVs don't agree on the same parameters, it just wouldn't work.

A zero-cost solution would be to use HDMI on one TV, and component video on the other. I believe your HR21 came with a component video cable.

#4 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

HDMI is a 2-way protocol; for example, the HR21 sends messages to your TV, and the TV sends messages back. The devices use these messages to negotiate resolution, refresh rate, progressive-vs.-interlaced, etc.

A splitter would mean that your HR21 would send messages to two TVs, and receive messages back from two TVs. If those two TVs don't agree on the same parameters, it just wouldn't work.

A zero-cost solution would be to use HDMI on one TV, and component video on the other. I believe your HR21 came with a component video cable.

But what if you only have one tv on at a time? A splitter would work just fine, as the HR21 would only be receiving the one message back. I am doing this exact thing with a tv on my patio and in my MBR and HDMI to both as component isnt a viable option.

#5 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

monoprice has a 4x2 matrix switcher to feed 2 devices

#6 OFFLINE   Hansen

Hansen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:12 AM

You will need to use a HDMI switch. Monoprice has several on their website. Here's a link to one that handles HDMI 1.3b (that will give you some future proofing should you go with a blu-ray that passes the 1.3b codecs to your AV receiver). http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2 It runs about 39 dollars and has IR capability so you can program the macros in your Harmony to switch it. As noted by Dave29 there are also some others where you can have to HDMI sources coming in and switch between those as well as which one it is outputing. These are matrix HDMI switches.
HR20-700 (networked) with 750gb eSATA drive via HDMI to Panasonic 42" HD plasma
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Pioneer 50" HD plasma with customized URC Complete Control MX-3000 touch screen remote using RF
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Samsung 19" HD LCD
H20-100 via HDMI to Toshiba 19" HD LCD
H20-100 (now retired and collecting dust) via HDMI<DVI to Sony 42" HD plasma
H21-100 via HDMI to Sony 40" HD LCD (in outdoor pavillion)

SWMLine dish

DirecTV since 1997

#7 OFFLINE   chicagojim

chicagojim

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

I actually am selling HDMI accessories. (switches, extenders, converters, etc).

On the low end, a splitter won't work because of the signaling.

And $80 for a switch is expensive. :D
Go Cubs

New equipment after seven years . . .

HR34 to Sony KDS60A2000 , HR24 to 47" Vizio -
three C31s - Slimline 5 Dish - Swim 16 -CCK -
Networked via wireless & 1000BT, using Comcast – three switches, two routers Hotspot @ home and 4G Femto cell

#8 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

I actually am selling HDMI accessories. (switches, extenders, converters, etc).

On the low end, a splitter won't work because of the signaling.

And $80 for a switch is expensive. :D

depends on the switch, it would be a good price for a 5x1 or a matrix switch

#9 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:00 AM

I bought the splitter from monoprice and it was $99 at the time. It worked OK as long as one TV was off but I didn't like the picture so I returned it and got their cheap 1x2 manual switch. Works great except that I have to get up to switch,I was too cheap to buy the 1x4 with remote. Another thing I learned later is that you can turn it around and use it as a 2x1. I think you will always lose some signal with a splitter.

#10 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:14 AM

I don't think the splitter will work because the HR21 and TV use HDCP. HDCP prevents signal splitting by design.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#11 OFFLINE   techm8n

techm8n

Godfather

• Registered
  • 345 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

I want to split the HDMI output of the HR21-200 so one feed would go through my Onkyo 7 05 and out to my TVs HDMI input #4 (for movies with 7.1 sound) and the other feed would go directly to my TV's HDMI input #5 (for times when I just want to watch TV without turning on the Onkyo). Then I can just use my remote to select Watch TV or Watch Movie and the remote turns on the appropriate devices and switches between the TVs HDMI inputs.

I'm using a Digiview 5-Port HDMI switch with my HR21 and PS3 to my Samsung 50" Plasma TV. And control it with my Harmony 890 Remote.
-I.T. Pro
-Linksys WRT610N Dual Band wireless Router
-HR21-700 | Antec MX-1/WD 1TB | on DLink DAP-1522 802.11n 4-Port wireless bridge
-HR21-700 | Antec MX-1/WD 750GB | on DLink DAP-1522 802.11n 4-Port wireless bridge
-Slingbox Pro (wireless)
-6000/640 KBPS AT&T DSL
-Dlink DCS-6620G 802.11G Wireless SecuriCam
-Playstation 3 (wireless)
-XBox 360 (wireless)
-Vudu Box (wireless)
-2 Desktops (wireless)
-3 Laptops (wireless)
-Windows 2003 Server Network (Active Directory, DNS, & DHCP)

#12 OFFLINE   CountryBumKin

CountryBumKin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

You will need to use a HDMI switch. Monoprice has several on their website. Here's a link to one that handles HDMI 1.3b (that will give you some future proofing should you go with a blu-ray that passes the 1.3b codecs to your AV receiver). http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2 It runs about 39 dollars and has IR capability so you can program the macros in your Harmony to switch it. As noted by Dave29 there are also some others where you can have to HDMI sources coming in and switch between those as well as which one it is outputing. These are matrix HDMI switches.

Thanks for the tip (and the link). I purchased the switch. I'll post back and let everyone know how it works.
C Bumkin

#13 OFFLINE   ultrablu

ultrablu

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the tip (and the link). I purchased the switch. I'll post back and let everyone know how it works.
C Bumkin

I have the HR21 as well. I am able to watch my TV with the amp off by simply connecting the HDMI directly to the TV and using an optical cable hooked directly to my receiver. When you want to watch movies with full surround (just turn the audio of your TV off when you want to listen to your amp. and switch the amp to the appropriate output) As far as 7.1 is concerned, the HR 21 will only transmit 5.1. therefore, your HDMI out is pretty much useless (from an audio standpoint), however, once and only once I did have an audio synch. issue (hdmi could theoretically eliminate audio synch issues). There are no Directv movies anywhere that are or will be in the near future in 7.1.... I picked up a good Phillips toslink at Sams for about 10 bucks.

#14 OFFLINE   marksman

marksman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

With the signal being completely digital, I am not sure why you would be seeing a degradation of quality using a splitter.

It is not like the signal is weaker, it is either there or not. There can be potential processing issues, I don't know enough about what a HDMI switch does, although I have one, and have no problems with it. I just know that signal does not degrade like an analog signal.

#15 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:51 AM

I don't think the splitter will work because the HR21 and TV use HDCP. HDCP prevents signal splitting by design.

Wrong and wrong.

Yes HDMI implements HDCP which is a 2 way protocol that requires negoication. The HDMI/HDCP spec allows for HDMI/HDCP compliant Distribuation Amps/ Splitters and Matrix switcher to allow for multiple displays from one source. The problem is the standard is so convoluted and there are so many vendors who fail to implement the standards correctly (or maybe they are doing it correctly and the standard is too broken) it is a crap shoot if it will work at all. Component video is a much better choice to do distribution because the equipment just works.

#16 OFFLINE   btmoore

btmoore

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:06 AM

With the signal being completely digital, I am not sure why you would be seeing a degradation of quality using a splitter.

It is not like the signal is weaker, it is either there or not. There can be potential processing issues, I don't know enough about what a HDMI switch does, although I have one, and have no problems with it. I just know that signal does not degrade like an analog signal.

Being Digital has nothing to do with it, it has to be with being digital and a parallel transmission media, which all has to do with starting with a bad standard (dvi) and then making it worse (HDMI), both standards only a committee could love. One of the fatal flaws is HDMI runs in parallel not serial, a little inconsistent in run can have a big impact on if the color signal bits show up at the same time with each other along with the clock staying in sync with those bits. I know, it is a bit complex, but trust me at these clock speeds this bits can get out of order very easily. If the morons who forced these standards on us used a serial digital standard as the baseline like HD-SDI you would of be able to run digital video for hundreds of feet using standard BNC connectors :bang

#17 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

Here is what I use. I have the HDMI signal come out of the HR20 and into the 2x2 and then 2 signals out. I have one signal run to my plasma above the fireplace and the other through the wall to the master bedroom. Both runs are roughly 15' and the signal is flawless and has been for over a year. I frequently have both TV's on a the same time so if I am cleaning or something and walking between living and master rooms I have the same program running.

http://www.gefen.com...sp?prod_id=2757

FYI....this is a switcher. You have 2 inputs and 2 outputs. I have HR20 and BluRay in and Plasma1 and Plasma2 out. This is also a good solution if you only have 1 HDMI input on your TV so you can now have 2!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...