Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L4.49 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:51 PM

Effective 02/21/08, L4.49 has begun spooling for the ViP622/ViP722. It looks like it will be a partial release initially. Please use this thread for documenting your experiences and/or bugs found.

Release notes can be found here
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

I have actually gained from the release since the Favorite "popup" solves a problem for this idiot who sometimes presses the guide button too many times ending up in the wrong guide.:grin:

The DishONLINE has some option called TV Entertainment but it's a "coming soon." Hope that means access to online programming - something like Hulu? It also seemed that the listing for the 332 available movies loaded faster.

I didn't experience problems to be fixed by the "fixes" so I don't know if they work or not.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

I have E* thru AT&T. We don't get DishONLINE. I am on L4.48. We have a TV Entertainment option under the DVR menu (item 3). In that area we have 3 programs available that include Explorer: Inside Sumo, House Hunters Tenn., Everyday Italian - Freeze. It appears they are from SOON channels 5828-30

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

I like the favorites mode change. (Got to go into Favorites setup to turn it on.)
My wife is constantly changing the guide to HER list ... to get back to mine is several presses of the guide button. The menu makes that a quicker selection (for me).

#5 OFFLINE   0pusX

0pusX

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

im new to this whole thing. how do i get the update?

#6 OFFLINE   Miggity

Miggity

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

In Soviet Russia, update gets you!

#7 OFFLINE   benn5325

benn5325

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:10 PM

I have E* thru AT&T. We don't get DishONLINE. I am on L4.48. We have a TV Entertainment option under the DVR menu (item 3). In that area we have 3 programs available that include Explorer: Inside Sumo, House Hunters Tenn., Everyday Italian - Freeze. It appears they are from SOON channels 5828-30

I'm with AT&T also and I have dishOnline. You need to have your rcvr connected to a broadband network for this option to appear.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:34 PM

Software updates are released in batches. E* usually starts with a small group of receivers and then works up adding larger groups until "everyone" is selected to receive the new software.

You can't choose what group you are in ... just turn off your receiver at night and wait for your number to come up.

#9 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:06 PM

I'm with AT&T also and I have dishOnline. You need to have your rcvr connected to a broadband network for this option to appear.

Mine is hooked up to broadband. Under my DVR menu I have the following

1 My Recordings
2 Movies & More
3 TV Entertainment
4 USB Storage
5 Cancel

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=115501

#10 OFFLINE   jdhbankman

jdhbankman

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

I am also a AT&T customer. Dishonline is scheduling recording on your DVR online. I beleive that you are talking about Video on Demand. You need a Dish account number to set up dish online, can not use AT&T account #'s.

#11 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

DishOnline is a service where you can download movies to your DVR over the internet. If you hit the DVR button, it should be option 5 on that menu. I have no option 5.

#12 OFFLINE   beetle02

beetle02

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

I hope it fixes my reboot problem. I thought I had it fixed after I put a chill mat underneath it but it rebooted today. But I think the chill mat has helped since it has only rebooted once in 5 days.

#13 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

I have actually gained from the release since the Favorite "popup" solves a problem for this idiot who sometimes presses the guide button too many times ending up in the wrong guide.:grin:

The DishONLINE has some option called TV Entertainment but it's a "coming soon." Hope that means access to online programming - something like Hulu? It also seemed that the listing for the 332 available movies loaded faster.

I didn't experience problems to be fixed by the "fixes" so I don't know if they work or not.

Can you describe the popup and how it works?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

Step 1 - Wait for L4.49 to be targeted to and downloaded by your receiver.

Step 2 - Press MENU-8-3 to go to favorites
You should have a "Guide Selection" option next to your favorite lists ... one saying Guide Button (selected by default) and one saying Guide Popup - If you don't have this selection you don't have L4.49 ... return to step 1.

Step 3 - Select "Guide Popup" then select DONE

Step 4 - Press the "GUIDE" button on your remote to enter the guide

Now every time you press the GUIDE button instead of flipping through the guides sequentially you will be presented with a menu. You can still press GUIDE over and over until you get to the menu you want, then select (without going to the word FAVORITES) or arrow to the list you want.

#15 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

You should have a "Guide Selection" option next to your favorite lists ... one saying Guide Button (selected by default) and one saying Guide Popup - If you don't have this selection you don't have L4.49 ... return to step 1.

Now every time you press the GUIDE button instead of flipping through the guides sequentially you will be presented with a menu. You can still press GUIDE over and over until you get to the menu you want, then select (without going to the word FAVORITES) or arrow to the list you want.

I was just wondering if it was going to be a PITA thing like pressing the TV button and getting a popup that told you that you just pressed the TV button. I don't have any Favorite LIsts so just pressing the guide will bring up All Sub as it currently does? That would be good. I really don't see the point in messing with this when there are other more important things they could be fixing. Frame-by-Frame for example.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:06 AM

Yes ... this one is totally optional. Most users won't even know they have the option.

One press of GUIDE from watching TV or pretty much anywhere except the guide will give you the last guide format viewed ... just like it does pre-L4.49 ... and subsequent presses will cycle through guides ... just like it does pre-L4.49 .

Some of this PITA stuff for tech people is a godsend for CSRs that get the call when customers can't figure out how to work their receiver. Every minute that they don't have to spend on the phone explaining how to tune the TV back to the satellite box and how to get back to controlling the receiver instead of the TV is a minute they can be helping other customers and (potentially) add up to hours that DISH won't have to pay CSRs.

Money that can be spent on better things than "how to use your remote" telephone tutorials.

#17 OFFLINE   mrplow

mrplow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:49 AM

Is reset HDMI gone ? My wife says it's grayed out, I can't check it until Monday when I get home.

#18 OFFLINE   sangu72

sangu72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

Can you program your DVR from their website with the new update?

#19 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

James, thanks for the instructions, I don't yet have this download on my 622 but your post caused me to go look at my new 612 and this feature IS in the L4.71 software for the VIP612. I just didn't look deep enough before :)
Sending pictures through the air is impossible, Television will never work!

Leon
Dish VIP722K
SW L6.62 Sat 1000 and 500 61.5/110/119/129
AbsoluteHD
Monitor Toshiba TW65x81 Component and Samsung HL-T7288W
Other Dish VIP612 SW L6.09

#20 OFFLINE   Miggity

Miggity

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

Can you program your DVR from their website with the new update?

This is what I came in here to find out also.

spam firewall