Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L4.49 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   snappingturtle

snappingturtle

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

Over the past week my 722 has developed a new and annoying problem. For no apparent reason and with no warning we suddenly lose both HDMI and Component output and the TV goes to a blue screen. I can switch TV inputs back to Cable & all is well. Our other receiver (222) is fine. We're not losing signal, we're losing the output(s) to the TV.

You can wait it out, 5 minutes, sometimes longer or reboot and then of course get to watch all the startup screens for the next 5 minutes.

It's not a switch problem, not a signal problem.

Anyone else? Any suggestions? Really hate to call for a replacement as we have many hours of recordings I'd hate to lose.

Thanks

Just a suggestion and I have *no* idea if this may be the case, but how well ventilated is your 722? I'm wondering how many of these 722 problems might be heat related. If you place a small room fan in front of it, does it still have problems?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#282 OFFLINE   dhclaypool

dhclaypool

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:59 PM

Not sure if this is new behavior, but I just noticed it. It's happened twice.

Details: 622 w 4.49 and EHD set as Dual Tuner

While watching on Tuner 1 a program that is in progress of being recorded on Tuner 1, when the program finishes recording it dumps me out of watching to the detail page of the recording with "Watch Live" and "Start Over" being the first buttons on the screen, just like it would be if the recording had been watched to the end.

#283 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

That's what mine does when watching a program that was also recording. A few minutes after the show ends (most likely at the end of the pad time), it dumps you back to that menu. Its done that for quite a while now but I can't say for sure when it started.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#284 OFFLINE   Scott Spillers

Scott Spillers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

Has anyone else noticed this issue? If you happen to be using fast forward or rewind when a new recording starts on the ViP622, you cannot stop fast forwarding or rewinding the program you are watching for about 15 seconds. It's quite frustrating when you are trying to find a play or scene only to have to it zoom by with no way to stop the video. After about 15 seconds, all of the commands that you tried are then carried out in rapid succession.
Scott Spillers

---------------------
Dish Network Customer Since 1997
Receiver History: 5000 & 3000 > 501PVR & 5000 > ViP622 > ViP722k > 2 Hooper 2Ks & 1 Joey 1.0
Dish History: 500(110,119) > 500(110,119) & 300(148) > 1000(110,119,129) > 1000(110,119) & 500(129) > 1000(110,119) & 24"(129) > DishHD(110,119,129)

#285 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:14 PM

Has anyone else noticed this issue? If you happen to be using fast forward or rewind when a new recording starts on the ViP622, you cannot stop fast forwarding or rewinding the program you are watching for about 15 seconds. It's quite frustrating when you are trying to find a play or scene only to have to it zoom by with no way to stop the video. After about 15 seconds, all of the commands that you tried are then carried out in rapid succession.

When a recording starts, the commands from the remote control basically are ignored for a few seconds. Actually, I think they get buffered and execute when the receiver gets less busy.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#286 OFFLINE   MikeHou

MikeHou

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

I'm having a guide problem here now just starting today. Most channels don't appear in the guide (I have AT250). The guide high channel is 572, low is 02. Haven't taken the time document all that is missing, but one I did notice is 107 (and everything above 572).

I have 4 custom favorites lists, and they show in the list of favorites, but can't be selected; they display in a darker shade of blue, like being grayed-out. They can all be edited, but in that list, the full, reduced set of channels appears with none of them selected.

This is a VIP622 I've had since August '06. First significant issue I've had.

#287 OFFLINE   MikeHou

MikeHou

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:20 PM

Doh! I just realized, I have all the HDs plus locals. The only SD I have are locals. Looks like they gave me the HD-only package (I do have my RSN in HD!). No music channels.

Guess I'll make a phone call.

#288 OFFLINE   Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

Has anyone seen a problem with the tuners being messed up (remote works fine, channel up/down shows new channel info, DVR menus accessible, but the video/audio is missing)? I have seen it twice in the last two weeks with my 722 and both times I initially found the receiver tuned to an off-air HD station with signal too weak to lock. Swap/playing a recorded program/etc. didn't get it back to normal but a power button reset did. It seems like the input side is working but the outputs are blanked out. I suspect it's related to the off-air tuner since I think I've seem some flakiness with my 622 also, since I hooked up an antenna for local HD last Fall.

Just wondering if you properly grounded your OTA antenna system when you installed it? Grounding the mast and installing a ground block on the coax? You could have some static build up causing some issues with the 722.
Equipment List
Dish Hopper
3 Joeys
Samsung HL61A750 LED DLP HDTV
OPPO BDP-83 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5004 AVR
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 L/C/R Speakers
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 Surrounds
SVS 25-31PC Subwoofer

#289 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:45 AM

I don't know when this started, but I have at least one definate problem and one questionable occurrance with my ViP622.

I have noticed recently that when I turn on my receiver and go into Diagnostics the connection tests fail. I then see that it has no Dishcomm functionality nor does it see my router anymore. I have changed nothing in my configuration recently to cause this... but if I perform a front-panel reset then it comes back with an IP address from my router and then passes the Dishcomm tests.

I shouldn't have to do a reset every day, especially since it goes into standby every night anyway... so this seems like a problem. I don't know if this is related to L4.49 or if something has started to fail hardware-wise in the receiver but it is becoming annoying, especially when I see that it is failing to call in and rescheduling to try again later.

So, while looking at all that... I noticed something else.

When the household key first seemed to roll out, I wrote mine down in case I ever needed to know it for some reason. Well, tonight I noticed my household key is now different. I don't know when or why it changed, but now I'm concerned and haven't re-connected my external drive yet as I'm unsure what will happen.

IF this key is meant to be for the household and lock drives to them... it seems like this key should not be changing on its own. I did make programming changes to my account, but that shouldn't change the household key because if it does then it is a poor implementation in that customers could never change their account once they activate a hard drive or lose everything they archive potentially.

Anyone else have their household key change recently to a different non-zero number?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#290 OFFLINE   Sunnyatthebeach

Sunnyatthebeach

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

I don't know when this started, but I have at least one definate problem and one questionable occurrance with my ViP622.

I have noticed recently that when I turn on my receiver and go into Diagnostics the connection tests fail. I then see that it has no Dishcomm functionality nor does it see my router anymore. I have changed nothing in my configuration recently to cause this... but if I perform a front-panel reset then it comes back with an IP address from my router and then passes the Dishcomm tests.

I shouldn't have to do a reset every day, especially since it goes into standby every night anyway... so this seems like a problem. I don't know if this is related to L4.49 or if something has started to fail hardware-wise in the receiver but it is becoming annoying, especially when I see that it is failing to call in and rescheduling to try again later.

The fastest way to get an IP address from the router is not to do a reset but to go to
Menu/System Setup/Installation/Broadband Setup/Network Setup/Reset Connection.
This will ask the DHCP software in the router to assign a (possibly new) IP address to the receiver, which you should see displayed on that screen.

There may also be a variety of problems with your router. Depending on the brand and model, if the router is powered down or reset, it may not recognize the receiver until the next time the receiver asks the router for an IP address. Each IP address in the routing tables has a lease expiration time, which is 24 hours in some routers, which the software in the device knows, before the expiration time has elapsed, to send a request to the router to renew the lease of the IP address for another period. This process may be broken. You could try resetting your router, then going through the Reset Connection process described in the previous paragraph, and see if your problem recurs after that.

#291 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

The fastest way to get an IP address from the router is not to do a reset but to go to
Menu/System Setup/Installation/Broadband Setup/Network Setup/Reset Connection.
This will ask the DHCP software in the router to assign a (possibly new) IP address to the receiver, which you should see displayed on that screen.

There may also be a variety of problems with your router. Depending on the brand and model, if the router is powered down or reset, it may not recognize the receiver until the next time the receiver asks the router for an IP address. Each IP address in the routing tables has a lease expiration time, which is 24 hours in some routers, which the software in the device knows, before the expiration time has elapsed, to send a request to the router to renew the lease of the IP address for another period. This process may be broken. You could try resetting your router, then going through the Reset Connection process described in the previous paragraph, and see if your problem recurs after that.

I've already been through all of that. I have two receivers. One of them never has a problem, the other one has the problem about every other day. When it is not getting an IP the "reset connection" does nothing at all. The only way to get the troublesome receiver to find an IP and see Dishcomm is to do the front panel reset.

At this point it can only be a problem with L4.49 OR a developing hardware problem with that receiver.

#292 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

Is your problem receiver hard wired Ethernet and do you have a HomePlug device somewhere in your house?

I use an Ethernet cable for one of my receivers and HomePlug for the other. The one with the cable sometimes does not get its IP address. I believe what happens is the receiver first attempts to get connectivity over the power line via HomePlug and gets a bad connection because it is plugged into a non-HomePlug power strip. But it must get enough of a connection that it does not use the cabled connection and it winds up having no useable connection at all. However clicking the Reset Connection button always switches to the cable port and connects to the router just fine.

Maybe that's not your problem since you have to reboot, but I thought I would throw it out there for consideration.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#293 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

Lost color. I was surprised to discover that my 622 which is still at 4.49 went to black and white today. Checked a number of channels and no color on any or them.
Thought maybe 5.10 had downloaded but it had not.

Did a power on button reset and color is back.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#294 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:11 PM

Is your problem receiver hard wired Ethernet and do you have a HomePlug device somewhere in your house?

I should probably have noted this before... I am using Homeplug with both receivers. I am guessing that something common in the DishComm/Homeplug circuitry is the culprit OR something common in the firmware for both functions... since both are down at the same time and both work when front-panel reset. One receiver working flawlessly and the other sporadically.

What I've yet to diagnose is just when it loses the IP/Dishcomm. It will stay for a couple of days, then I figure it is ok... and ignore it a few days then find that it "died" in the meantime. I can't isolate it to a power fluctuation or anything specific that could be an outside cause. No storms in the past week here either to cause power loss or interruption of satellite.

#295 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

That makes sense since both facilities communicate over the power line. Maybe you have some device in the house that generates line noise when it is turned on and that triggers the loss of connection. The other receiver may be more tolerant or the circuit it's on does not get the noise. Just a guess.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#296 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

That makes sense since both facilities communicate over the power line. Maybe you have some device in the house that generates line noise when it is turned on and that triggers the loss of connection. The other receiver may be more tolerant or the circuit it's on does not get the noise. Just a guess.

Now that's a possibility... we are in the midst of a not-nice heatwave, so my air conditioner (central air) is running quite a bit... Sometimes it kicks my UPS for my computer into a "conditioning" mode... perhaps that does interfere with the Homeplug/Dishcomm as well, and as you say, maybe one receiver is just better at handling it than the other.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...