Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP722 hardware questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mcf57

mcf57

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

I am possibly interested in subscribing to DISH Network's new HD only programming ($29.99/month) and also getting the DISH VIP722 receiver to view it on.

I examined the brochure online and had a question about some of its outputs on the back of the unit. There is a yellow color output titled "home distribution (ch21-69 OUT)". What exactly is this output used for? From the description, it seems like it has something to do with the TV2 output function. I am assuming the description of "1 Agile modulated coaxial output to distribute programming to a remote TV location" is referring to this output. If so, why is it saying "ch21-69"? I'm a little confused by that cause I thought a receiver's output is normally set for ch3 or 4. Or is it just giving you more options to put the TV on?

Would it be possible to run the HD only programming from the VIP722 to a 2nd standard definition TV in another room with these 2nd set of outputs via the coaxial connection? I realize it would be down converted, but just wondering.

Also, I plan to keep my basic cable tv lineup too (ch2-75). What is the best way to integrate my regular cable tv with this DISH HD programming via the VIP722 receiver?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mfabel

mfabel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:14 AM

The ooutput you describe is used to send programming from the 722 in SD to a second TV. You can select what channel it broadcasts on between 21 and 69. You cannot have it broadcast to ch 3 or 4.

Yes, you can send downconverted HD channels to the remote TV2 via the coax. You can also watch programs recorded on your DVR. It is really a great setup.

Someone else is going to have to comment about keeping cable. I have no experience there.

#3 OFFLINE   mcf57

mcf57

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

I'm looking at the back of the VIP722 again and am wondering if you can maybe use the coaxial input labeled "over the air antenna", but connect standard cable (ch2-75) to it. Or is this strictly for UHF channels and intended for getting your local channels in HD using some sort of rabbit ears setup?

#4 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:06 PM

You can not connect a cable feed to it. It will only handle digital broadcasts. The receiver has only an ATSC tuner for digital stations. It does not have an NTSC or QAM tuner.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#5 OFFLINE   mrzeld

mrzeld

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:21 AM

the home distribution output will also send out a signal for TV1 (as well as TV2) over the coax line. each TV will be on a different channel. so on your 2nd TV, you just switch channels to view either TV1 or TV2. useful if the normal TV you use is recording something and you would like to watch something else live. you can also use splitters/combiners to combine all the coax outputs of all your receivers (i have a 625 and a 722) so that you can view any of them on any tv just by changing the channel. very cool.

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

the home distribution output will also send out a signal for TV1 (as well as TV2) over the coax line. each TV will be on a different channel. so on your 2nd TV, you just switch channels to view either TV1 or TV2. useful if the normal TV you use is recording something and you would like to watch something else live. you can also use splitters/combiners to combine all the coax outputs of all your receivers (i have a 625 and a 722) so that you can view any of them on any tv just by changing the channel. very cool.

Running in Dual Mode, you can access both tuners from TV2 by changing channels on the TV but you can control only the tuner for TV2. Single Mode shows the same tuner on each channel. In Dual Mode, I can view tuner 1 on channel 75 and tuner 2 on channel 77. In Single Mode, I get the same tuner on 75 and 77.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   Americano

Americano

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

I have a VIP722 with OTA ATSC attached.

I'd like to combine the ATSC signal back into the Home Distribution Signal so all TV's can receive the ATSC as well as TV2 signal. Does anybody have instructions / diagrams and parts that I'd need?

#8 OFFLINE   Americano

Americano

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

Running in Dual Mode, you can access both tuners from TV2 by changing channels on the TV but you can control only the tuner for TV2. Single Mode shows the same tuner on each channel. In Dual Mode, I can view tuner 1 on channel 75 and tuner 2 on channel 77. In Single Mode, I get the same tuner on 75 and 77.

That is very cool! We access TV2 on channel 60 - How do you know what channel to tune to access TV1? Is it configurable somewhere?

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

That is very cool! We access TV2 on channel 60 - How do you know what channel to tune to access TV1? Is it configurable somewhere?

Yes,
Menu - 6 - 1 - 5.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#10 OFFLINE   A2736

A2736

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

Relevant question for 722 receiver.

Is it possible to connect composite output of VP722 to channel plus modulator and distribute downconverted HD channels to multiple standard definition TVs (cant get 119 satellite and I want to watch CNBC which is available in HD on 61.5)

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

Relevant question for 722 receiver.

Is it possible to connect composite output of VP722 to channel plus modulator and distribute downconverted HD channels to multiple standard definition TVs (cant get 119 satellite and I want to watch CNBC which is available in HD on 61.5)

If I understand what you're asking, that's what the Home Distribution output is for.

#12 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

Right, the Home Distribution output (coax) is designed exactly for that purpose. Run RG6 coax to as many TVs as you want.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

spam firewall