Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Official DTV Transition Discussion

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:24 AM

Guidelines for Posting in this Thread

Let's try to have a constructive discussion about this topic.

I know there are those who think the transition won't happen. Feel free to discuss that but do not get political please. I know, this is a government issue but try to keep the focus technical and social, not political.

Feel free to discuss "great found deals" or sightings of converter boxes, success or failure stories, or other DTV-related viewpoints.

Just like other non-DBS topics such as Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD, we are going to keep only one thread on this topic. Other threads will be merged into this one or deleted.

Unfortunately we will have to delete posts that are too political or attack other users.

The DTV FAQ can be found here.

Have at it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

Good idea! There were more than a few of these threads popping up in the past few weeks.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:27 AM

Good move, Stu. :up:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

I think broadcasters need to be more open about what their final channel assignment will be after analog shutdown. There's a number of stations now on UHF that will go to a VHF channel which could effect a decision on what antenna to purchase. Maybe sites like Antennaweb.org should note that when people are researching what to get.

Something eles that needs to be address is the availability of low cost battery operated set with ATSC tuners. A number of people have sets like this in their emergency kits to allow them to keep track of news and weather, those sets will be useless after 2/2009. I found one battery/ATSC set at Radio Shack but it was almost $200.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

Something eles that needs to be address is the availability of low cost battery operated set with ATSC tuners. A number of people have sets like this in their emergency kits to allow them to keep track of news and weather, those sets will be useless after 2/2009. I found one battery/ATSC set at Radio Shack but it was almost $200.

What about radios?

#6 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

What about radios?

That would work but some people prefer to be able to see what's happening vs. trying to figure out what a radar image would look like.

#7 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

Here is the FINAL list of post-Feb-2009 Channel Assignments --> http://fjallfoss.fcc...CC-07-138A2.pdf

The column labeled NTSC Chan is the old Analog channel number. The column labeled DTV Chan is the new Digital channel number for post-Feb-2009.

Note that you may need to check nearby cities (and nearby states) to see all the channels you receive.

#8 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

Upstream, I know that but does the average consumer even know that channel assignments will change let alone that they need to go to an FCC page to find the answers?

#9 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:59 AM

That would work but some people prefer to be able to see what's happening vs. trying to figure out what a radar image would look like.

Ah, didn't think of that. Fortunately I've always lived in areas where extreme weather that would require some alternative communication with the outside world is rare.

I'm sure the prices of battery-operated tuners and portable TVs with digital tuners built-in will drop... eventually.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

Upstream, I know that but does the average consumer even know that channel assignments will change let alone that they need to go to an FCC page to find the answers?

...and that is where you, the wise and wonderful DBSTalkers come in. Talk to people you meet about the subject and spread the word.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:12 AM

Didn't I read somewhere though that even though the digital channel number is changing, the tuner will/can still use the old analog channel when tuning on the tv set?

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

I think you're referring to PSIP, which is a way that your TV can still tune to 4-1 when you want channel 4, even though it may actually occupy the same place that channel 36 (analog) used to. That's part of every new TV with an ATSC tuner.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

Forgive my ignorance... doesn't that mean that the channel assignment changes that Upstream posted a link to above is moot? For instance, my local ABC is currently analog channel 2 and is/will be DTV channel 38. An ATSC tuner will still allow me to tune to channel 2, correct? Which means most people won't notice any change at all if they have a built-in ATSC tuner, and those buying converter boxes won't notice a difference once they're hooked up.

#14 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:49 AM

Forgive my ignorance... doesn't that mean that the channel assignment changes that Upstream posted a link to above is moot? For instance, my local ABC is currently analog channel 2 and is/will be DTV channel 38. An ATSC tuner will still allow me to tune to channel 2, correct? Which means most people won't notice any change at all if they have a built-in ATSC tuner, and those buying converter boxes won't notice a difference once they're hooked up.

That is correct, if your local ABC decides to keep putting out channel 2 via PSIP.

#15 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:51 AM

If, or when, the RF channel changes, it will "go missing" until you rescan for channels.

Or, the database is updated in your set-top, if it can't scan for OTA.

So, some people may, at first, think their local digital station is not broadcasting.

#16 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

I agree that the stations need to do a better job letting people know what there permanent station assignments will be. Aside from the issues raised by others, there are people who are buying UHF-only antennas, assuming that no stations will move back to VHF.

My link above was intended to just be informational for those on this forum, not a replacement for the communications that the stations need to do.

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

there are people who are buying UHF-only antennas, assuming that no stations will move back to VHF.

That's the crux of the problem .. However, double checking the SF links, many are going to stay UHF which will minimize that particular problem. I did find a nice chart that someone put together for th SF bay area if folks are interested .. much more user-friendly than the FCC link, but only for one DMA ..

http://www.choisser.com/channels.html
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

Maybe sites like Antennaweb.org should note that when people are researching what to get.

That feature was added to antennaweb in the last few days. But www.tvfool.com beat them to it!

#19 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:15 AM

I think you're referring to PSIP, which is a way that your TV can still tune to 4-1 when you want channel 4, even though it may actually occupy the same place that channel 36 (analog) used to. That's part of every new TV with an ATSC tuner.

Isn't that a bit misleading? PSIP in and of itself doesn't contain any program material. As I understand it, it CAN point/guide you to a new (active) channel. But then, I rather doubt that broadcasters will be allowed to transmit PSIP on a channel that they are no longer licensed to use.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#20 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:26 AM

PSIP Info

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSIP

Official Site: http://www.psip.org/

spam firewall