Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Official DTV Transition Discussion

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   zman977

zman977

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

I've heard nothing regarding what the multitude of of stations that blanket the N.Y.C. TV market will be doing & leaving questions for e-mail responses have given me no information. :nono2:

First I wanted to say I'm back on the DBS talk board. It's been way too long sense I've been on. It is nice to be back. Now on topic, I've been trying to find out the same with the Chicago area. I know the network O&O's will maintain their anologue signals but I"m curious about WGN TV, WTTW, WYCC, WCIU, WGBO, WXFT, and WYIN. It is possible someone may have already mentioned it and I just over looked it. It is a long thread and I just could have missed it. But I had heard that WGN and WYCC are going to shut off their anologue signals but I can't find anywhere that confirms that. I've also had no luck with the station web sites

It is nice to be back with satelite TV (We have Direct TV's HD pack) with an HD DVR and I look forward to rejoining the discussions.

Edited by zman977, 06 February 2009 - 09:05 PM.
fix spelling

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

I've heard nothing regarding what the multitude of of stations that blanket the N.Y.C. TV market will be doing & leaving questions for e-mail responses have given me no information. :nono2:

For tonight WMBC (NOT WNBC the NBC afiiliate) will end its Analog broadcasts. The others have decided to wait to June 12. On June 12 there will be lots of channel movement, some to there old frequencies and others to new different digital assignments.

Several others the are not NYC but can be seen by some in NY already converted. see FCC chart for all full power stations.
http://hraunfoss.fcc...OC-288530A2.pdf

Edited by tnsprin, 17 February 2009 - 02:47 PM.

Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#183 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

Two analog stations went dark in the Huntsville Al DMA

Huntsville AL population 171,000/2.59 household size = 66023 households.

Huntsville Al newspaper reports problems in approximately 400 households

.6 percent problem rate.

anybody else want to report their numbers?
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#184 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Still over 4 million homes not ready for DTV. No indication in the article as to how many are in areas not served by cable. There's no shortage of converters.
http://www.pcworld.c...ml?tk=nl_dnxnws

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#185 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

Haven't we done this already?

From MediaBiz.com

Given the new DTV cutoff date of June 12, the Federal Communications Commission has asked broadcasters to once again test their readiness for the switch by temporarily suspending analog programming on May 21. The FCC had previously tested DTV in select areas last fall when the transition was still scheduled for Feb. 17.

In this latest test, broadcasters who have not yet transitioned to digital-only will suspend analog service for five minutes at 7:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. local time. Digital broadcast stations will not be required to participate in the tests.

And, delayed or not, there is still a healthy chunk of the population -- i.e. some two million households -- that are still unprepared for the DTV switch, though that number has shrunk considerably in recent months.

www.mediabiz.com

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#186 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:33 AM

:...And, delayed or not, there is still a healthy chunk of the population -- i.e. some two million households -- that are still unprepared for the DTV switch, though that number has shrunk considerably in recent months."

Just like the "poor will always be with us", the clueless, the procrastinators, and the "It's not my fault, why didn't someone tell me" crowd will always be with us. If the FCC gave these people 10 more years, they still wouldn't be prepared.

The best way to do it is just do it! When their CRTs turn to snow, they'll check the plug, hurry to pay their overdue electric bill ( and maybe their water bill, just in case), then they'll call in a TV service company to come figure out what the problem is.

The adjective 'clueless' just isn't strong enough!

:rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#187 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

The latest Nielsen report shows 3.5M homes still not ready: http://blog.nielsen....tal-transition/

The over 55 group still leads the way being the most ready. ;)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#188 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

...and the (almost) over-70 crowd are on the bleeding-edge of tech.

Oops! Bad choice of words! :geezer:

:lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...