Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Official DTV Transition Discussion

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

Good example:

But, if RF channel 52 has 5.1, 5.2, etc. as it's virtual channel(s), it will most likely either stay on RF channel 52, or move to RF channel 5 after the analog cut-off. Since TV stations have the option of returning to their old analog assignment after the cut-off (the virtual channel number).

So, then RF channel 5, may also be virtual 5.1, 5.2, etc.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,931 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

Except - that channel 52 is "out of core" post transition - all Digital stations (full power) must be between channels 2 and 51 inclusive.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#28 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

True dat...so there would be no digital 52, to start with.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#29 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,931 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

A significant number of my local digital stations are currently out of core and will be moving to their final assignments on Feb 17,2009 . I can think of 2 out of 7 that are already on their final assignments - everybody else is part of the shuffle dance....

#30 OFFLINE   otaota

otaota

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

Just thought I'd post the following link here since it seems relevant to this thread.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50

#31 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 433 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

I recieved my two coupons (cards) yesterday.
I got home late last night from work so I did not have time to look at the mail. I had to watch LOST.

I'll let you guys lnow if there is anything other than two coupons that look like debit cards with an expiration date of May 23, 2008.
You can keep the change

#32 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:50 AM

I received mine therein addition to the cards there is an info sheet simialr to what is on the website.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,984 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

Engadgethd.com has a view of what the coupons look like if you are interested:

http://www.engadgeth...e-get-pictured/
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#34 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:42 AM

:lol: I know I said I wouldn't be back on the thread for six months but I couldn't help letting everyone know that Walmart now has a large digital LCD countdown clock counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds until the dream time for the shutdown of high powered analog TV stations. It's in the electronics department.

#35 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,931 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

:lol: I know I said I wouldn't be back on the thread for six months but I couldn't help letting everyone know that Walmart now has a large digital LCD countdown clock counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds until the dream time for the shutdown of high powered analog TV stations. It's in the electronics department.

Yes - at my closest WalMart - it's with the Magnavox converter boxes.

#36 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

Since you've chosen to come back. I'm still willing to take that bet.

How much?

#37 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

I would bet you a beer. Betting any amount of cash would be just taking your money. I did read a recent blog that the coverage area of the DTV signals is much less than that of the analog signal even after going to a higher power transmitter. Outdoor antennas may be required for some of the viewers who now use rabbit ears. Another expense, another pain for those widows on Social Security.

#38 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:12 AM

I would bet you a beer. Betting any amount of cash would be just taking your money. I did read a recent blog that the coverage area of the DTV signals is much less than that of the analog signal even after going to a higher power transmitter. Outdoor antennas may be required for some of the viewers who now use rabbit ears. Another expense, another pain for those widows on Social Security.

I'll be willing to lose a few real dollars. Come on, put your money, where your mouth is. Say $100?

Probably because the digital signal is currently on UHF. If they return to VHF after the cut-off, that issue may be solved.

What did people do when UHF was introduced? They either had to buy a tuner, or get a new TV. That was before SS, but I'm sure there were widows then, too. But, I guess our society now considers TV a necessity, instead of a luxury.

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,984 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:19 AM

I can say that I have the opposite experience. I get digital channels that I never got as analog channels.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#40 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

Yes - at my closest WalMart - it's with the Magnavox converter boxes.

Thats the box that my local WalMart has.:D
have you tried it out yet?
Jimmy

#41 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:45 AM

I did read a recent blog that the coverage area of the DTV signals is much less than that of the analog signal even after going to a higher power transmitter.

Oh right, blogs, the wikipedias of the news media world - full of indisputable facts, right? :rolleyes:

#42 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

I've been to the coupon site and ordered my coupons. I was checking out the FAQ that Stuart put up and went to the www.dtv.gov site. Holy Blinking Moving Crap Batman. Is that one of the worst web sites I've ever seen or what? These are the people who are going to make sure the transition runs smoothly? Not if everyone goes into apoplexy from trying to navigate that website. Crimeny!

#43 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

I agree, that's a pretty poorly designed site. The colors are hard to look at and the animation takes 15 seconds to run its course. It looks like the developer wanted to show off his Flash programming "skills". :lol:

#44 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:21 AM

Oh right, blogs, the wikipedias of the news media world - full of indisputable facts, right? :rolleyes:

He seems to think that THIS is a blog. My guess is that he thinks all web sites are blogs.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#45 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:33 AM

He seems to think that THIS is a blog. My guess is that he thinks all web sites are blogs.

Oh yeah, I do remember reading that in one of the other blogs he started on this wiki-ma-jigger. :D

#46 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:38 AM

I won't be ;).

actually if no stations in your area are returning to their old analog position ora third psoition (or will have done so already) you don't have to.

#47 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

• Gold Members
  • 8,296 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:41 AM

I'll be willing to lose a few real dollars. Come on, put your money, where your mouth is. Say $100?

Probably because the digital signal is currently on UHF. If they return to VHF after the cut-off, that issue may be solved.

What did people do when UHF was introduced? They either had to buy a tuner, or get a new TV. That was before SS, but I'm sure there were widows then, too. But, I guess our society now considers TV a necessity, instead of a luxury.

well it wan't before sdsocial security but I agree with your point.

#48 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:54 AM

I was around when UHF was introduced. You are missing the point I have been trying to make the past two months. UHF was introduced but the EXISTING VHF stations we were watching DID NOT go off the air. One did not have to install a converter to continue watching TV. To this date (50+ years later) you can still receive those VHF stations on your TV and NO need to have a UHF converter or UHF TV. This is different, the DTV tuners have only been mandatory in TVs sold from 2007 on. The EXISTING stations are going off the air too soon. It's a MAJOR change the American public will not accept. If I bet any amount of money on the delayed shutdown it would be like stealing your money. Lets keep it at a beer.

#49 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:39 AM

I think broadcasters need to be more open about what their final channel assignment will be after analog shutdown. There's a number of stations now on UHF that will go to a VHF channel which could effect a decision on what antenna to purchase. Maybe sites like Antennaweb.org should note that when people are researching what to get.

Something eles that needs to be address is the availability of low cost battery operated set with ATSC tuners. A number of people have sets like this in their emergency kits to allow them to keep track of news and weather, those sets will be useless after 2/2009. I found one battery/ATSC set at Radio Shack but it was almost $200.

I bet the majority of people wouldn't know where they were located on that radar map.

#50 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

I was around when UHF was introduced. You are missing the point I have been trying to make the past two months. UHF was introduced but the EXISTING VHF stations we were watching DID NOT go off the air. One did not have to install a converter to continue watching TV. To this date (50+ years later) you can still receive those VHF stations on your TV and NO need to have a UHF converter or UHF TV. This is different, the DTV tuners have only been mandatory in TVs sold from 2007 on. The EXISTING stations are going off the air too soon. It's a MAJOR change the American public will not accept. If I bet any amount of money on the delayed shutdown it would be like stealing your money. Lets keep it at a beer.

Most of America won't even know it happened. Most people have cable or satellite so nothing will change for them.

The sky is not falling.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...