Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Official DTV Transition Discussion

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

Unless I understand wrong, one part of PSIP is the mechanism where your tuner scans for channels and it maps them at that time. I don't know of any TV or tuner that's actively scanning, and no, I don't see it being used as a redirect, because that would require broadcasting on the old channel.

I can only hope that throughout Jan. 2009, OTA channels run a banner as frequently as necessary saying, "You will have to rescan for channels on 2/17 and you'll need a converter box" or something like that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

Yep - on Febuary 17/18, 2009 - everybody in the country will probably be doing channel scans :D) .
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#23 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

Yep - on Febuary 17/18, 2009 - everybody in the country will probably be doing channel scans :D) .

Everybody SHOULD. Who knows what they will really do.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#24 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

I won't be ;).
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

The way PSIP works is that your television scans for signals. It finds a signal between 698-704 MHz (commonly known as channel 52). Your television reads the PSIP information from the signal, and your TV learns a lot of things, including there are 4 broadcast streams on the signal, and they are called 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4. Your TV stores this information.

(In some cases, your TV doesn't scan for the signals, so you need to enter this information, or your TV downloads it from another source.)

Later on, when you tell your TV that you want to watch the broadcast stream called 5.1, your TV has already learned that 5.1 is broadcast on the signal between 698-704 MHz (commonly known as channel 52).

Now, after Feb 2009, the television station may move its signal from 698-704 MHz (commonly known as channel 52) to 530-536 MHz (commonly known as channel 24).

When you tell your TV that you want to watch 5.1, it will go to 698-704 MHz(commonly known as channel 52) and it won't find 5.1 there, since it has moved to 530-536 MHz (commonly known as channel 24).

So you need to do a rescan, and your TV will then find the signal at 530-536 MHz (commonly known as channel 24) with the PSIP information saying this is where 5.1 is located.

#26 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

Good example:

But, if RF channel 52 has 5.1, 5.2, etc. as it's virtual channel(s), it will most likely either stay on RF channel 52, or move to RF channel 5 after the analog cut-off. Since TV stations have the option of returning to their old analog assignment after the cut-off (the virtual channel number).

So, then RF channel 5, may also be virtual 5.1, 5.2, etc.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#27 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

Except - that channel 52 is "out of core" post transition - all Digital stations (full power) must be between channels 2 and 51 inclusive.

#28 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:12 PM

True dat...so there would be no digital 52, to start with.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#29 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

A significant number of my local digital stations are currently out of core and will be moving to their final assignments on Feb 17,2009 . I can think of 2 out of 7 that are already on their final assignments - everybody else is part of the shuffle dance....

#30 OFFLINE   otaota

otaota

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

Just thought I'd post the following link here since it seems relevant to this thread.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50

#31 OFFLINE   Kentstater

Kentstater

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSE Michigan

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

I recieved my two coupons (cards) yesterday.
I got home late last night from work so I did not have time to look at the mail. I had to watch LOST.

I'll let you guys lnow if there is anything other than two coupons that look like debit cards with an expiration date of May 23, 2008.
You can keep the change

#32 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:50 AM

I received mine therein addition to the cards there is an info sheet simialr to what is on the website.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

Engadgethd.com has a view of what the coupons look like if you are interested:

http://www.engadgeth...e-get-pictured/

#34 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:42 AM

:lol: I know I said I wouldn't be back on the thread for six months but I couldn't help letting everyone know that Walmart now has a large digital LCD countdown clock counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds until the dream time for the shutdown of high powered analog TV stations. It's in the electronics department.

#35 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

:lol: I know I said I wouldn't be back on the thread for six months but I couldn't help letting everyone know that Walmart now has a large digital LCD countdown clock counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds until the dream time for the shutdown of high powered analog TV stations. It's in the electronics department.

Yes - at my closest WalMart - it's with the Magnavox converter boxes.

#36 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:18 PM

Since you've chosen to come back. I'm still willing to take that bet.

How much?

#37 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

I would bet you a beer. Betting any amount of cash would be just taking your money. I did read a recent blog that the coverage area of the DTV signals is much less than that of the analog signal even after going to a higher power transmitter. Outdoor antennas may be required for some of the viewers who now use rabbit ears. Another expense, another pain for those widows on Social Security.

#38 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:12 AM

I would bet you a beer. Betting any amount of cash would be just taking your money. I did read a recent blog that the coverage area of the DTV signals is much less than that of the analog signal even after going to a higher power transmitter. Outdoor antennas may be required for some of the viewers who now use rabbit ears. Another expense, another pain for those widows on Social Security.

I'll be willing to lose a few real dollars. Come on, put your money, where your mouth is. Say $100?

Probably because the digital signal is currently on UHF. If they return to VHF after the cut-off, that issue may be solved.

What did people do when UHF was introduced? They either had to buy a tuner, or get a new TV. That was before SS, but I'm sure there were widows then, too. But, I guess our society now considers TV a necessity, instead of a luxury.

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:19 AM

I can say that I have the opposite experience. I get digital channels that I never got as analog channels.

#40 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:24 AM

Yes - at my closest WalMart - it's with the Magnavox converter boxes.

Thats the box that my local WalMart has.:D
have you tried it out yet?
Jimmy

spam firewall