Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VOOM sues Dish.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
177 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:15 AM

http://www.multichan...cleID=CA6535686

An intra-family battle is brewing between Rainbow Media’s Voom suite of high-definition services and Voom satellite owner EchoStar Satellite LLC.

Earlier this month, New York State Supreme Court judge Richard Lowe granted Voom a preliminary injunction/temporary restraining order barring EchoStar’s Dish Network from moving the HD service’s 15 channels to a lower-penetrated HD tier, according to sources close to both parties.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:23 AM

If it weren't for Dish, just how many people would have Voom at all right now? This doesn't appear to be very well thought out on Voom's end.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

Can't we all just get along?? :(

I wonder how long the current carriage contract runs - if I were Voom I'd be real concerned this action would result in E* dropping them entirely - or only agreeing to carry a few of their channels - after that contract ends. By then E* should have plenty of other HD channels up (assuming it doesn't end before December and E* actually gets the new birds in the air!) and wouldn't need Voom to keep their channel count high.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

We practically need a subforum for DISH and the courts. Wow.

The "temporary restraining order" should mean that the Voom 15 will magically appear on the receivers of anyone subscribed to Essentials. I'll have to dig into the court documents to see what is actually ordered here.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

Very odd... and for as much as I'm a supporter of Voom... it says something when you need to sue to keep your channels up. This kind of thing is a bad precedent, especially when you figure Voom is kind of being done a favor to some extent with Dish carrying them anyway since it appears DirecTV is fine not touching them at all.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:43 PM

VooM is not a big draw, i could live with out it. I'll have to read into the lawsuit...but all in all, it's going to be tough now having the ability to have HD-tiers with the available nationals now, Dish better tread lightly...more options more tiers and a-la-carte..MAYBE<--- don;t bash me.
HR23-700, AM21, 360 Elite, HD-DVD, Sony KDS-60A3000..."Blu-Ray Player, heck, I have to use my PS3 for something, it sure as heck isn't a video game console"..audio:Yamaha RX-V863, Bose Acoustimass 10

#7 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

i don't understand. why hurt the hand that feeds you? if it wasn't for dish Voom would've been gone along time ago! i like some of the voom channels but after this stunt if i was Dish i'd dropped them!:kickbutt:

#8 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Dish Voom sued drop Voom and give us some real HD programs
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#9 OFFLINE   jimborst

jimborst

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Wild speculation here but with Voom's repeating schedule and now the lawsuit, has Voom run out of money? No budget for new shows and now this, is the folding far in the future?

#10 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

Very odd... and for as much as I'm a supporter of Voom... it says something when you need to sue to keep your channels up. This kind of thing is a bad precedent, especially when you figure Voom is kind of being done a favor to some extent with Dish carrying them anyway since it appears DirecTV is fine not touching them at all.

VOOM is acting back stabbers. As I said before in another thread as soon as Dish has room for all HBO, STARZ channels to be in HD VOOM is history. Too many repeats! Hopefully in late Spring when 1 bird is online.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

In the bigger picture...

We just saw COMCAST and the NFL nework, issue (similar thing), be sent back down to lower courts...

All of this is comming of the same issue/case, that DirecTV/HDNet did in December (That reached an out of court settlement).

Maybe... that settlement/battle on DirecTV/HDNet set a precedent... and these other combinations of companies are thinking they have a chance to change their fortunes.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

BTW: Voom has a minimum commitment to spend money on their programming. If they fail to spend enough, DISH can drop them without penalty. ($100k per year up to $500k total with a 15 year contract term.)

#13 OFFLINE   DBS Commando

DBS Commando

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:27 PM

I hope Dish drops all 15 of them altogether

#14 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:43 PM

I hope Dish drops all 15 of them altogether

Even if dish dont drop them I just DID! Got the 10.00 HD package that goes woth AT 250 - Voom and saved 10.00 a month

#15 OFFLINE   Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

Even if dish dont drop them I just DID! Got the 10.00 HD package that goes woth AT 250 - Voom and saved 10.00 a month

And that is precisely why Voom is suing Dish Network.

I'll assume Voom believes they are supposed to be in the minimum HD package, and that is how they are trying to get their contract interpreted. Dish Network is interpreting this differently, so they've placed the Voom channels on a different package.

#16 OFFLINE   LinkNuc

LinkNuc

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

Well now that we are in the rant mode, drop 'em all and make room for the nationals...Comcast is kicking *** this year, D* has made their statement by action, Dish needs to set it....and forget it!
HR23-700, AM21, 360 Elite, HD-DVD, Sony KDS-60A3000..."Blu-Ray Player, heck, I have to use my PS3 for something, it sure as heck isn't a video game console"..audio:Yamaha RX-V863, Bose Acoustimass 10

#17 OFFLINE   Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

Well now that we are in the rant mode, drop 'em all and make room for the nationals...Comcast is kicking *** this year, D* has made their statement by action, Dish needs to set it....and forget it!

I was a long time Dish customer before switching sides.

Amazes me how much has changed in 12 months.

If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
- Emmett "Doc" Brown

DirecTV since 2006

#18 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

Does not seem to be a very smart move. Voom won't know what to do if they get dropped. Many are already dropping them.

#19 OFFLINE   lacruz

lacruz

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

I can't understand why people rip on Voom's programming but get all hyped up about Dish adding other HD Channels that are nothing more than simulcasts of their SD counterparts that we have seen for years? Nothing new here. Sure, the PQ is better, but how about some original, new channels with different programming? Voom offers programming you can't find on HBO or one of the "talky," commerical-ridden Discovery HD channels. If Dish dumps Voom, they won't be the "leader" in HD anymore and that's a debatable declaration now...

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

FYI: I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but here is the exact text of what Cablevision says about the Voom HD deal with Echostar in their SEC filings:

In April 2005, subsidiaries of the Company entered into agreements with EchoStar relating to the launch and operation of the business of Rainbow HD Holdings LLC, the Company’s VOOM HD Networks high definition television programming service, subject to the closing of the sale of our satellite (Rainbow 1) to EchoStar which occurred in November 2005. Under those arrangements, EchoStar initially distributed in 2005 a portion (10 of 21 channels) of the VOOM HD Networks programming service and, beginning in 2006, began carrying all 15 of the channels then included in the programming service. In connection with the arrangements, EchoStar was issued a 20% interest in Rainbow HD Holdings, the Company’s subsidiary owning the VOOM HD Networks, and that 20% interest will not be diluted until $500,000 in cash has been invested in Rainbow HD Holdings’ equity by the Company.

Under the terms of the affiliation arrangements with EchoStar covering the VOOM HD Networks for a 15 year term, if Rainbow HD Holdings fails to spend $100,000 per year (subject to reduction to reflect permanent reductions in the number of channels constituting the VOOM HD service), up to a maximum of $500,000 in the aggregate, on its service offerings, EchoStar may terminate the affiliation agreement. Echostar has exercised its audit rights under the affiliation agreement to determine whether Rainbow HD Holdings is in compliance with these requirements. The Company has the right to terminate the affiliation agreement if the VOOM HD Networks are discontinued in the future.

It looks like all Cablevision has to do is spend half a million dollars total on VOOM HD content to satisfy the contract, redeem the 20% ownership away from DISH, and lock DISH in to a carriage contract until 2020.

Unmentioned so far, one thing that is NOT in Cablevision's favor in the case is the fact that the initial Voom offering on DISH Network was a separate package of 10 channels for $5 that required purchase of the base "HD tier" for $9.99 . The parties know the contracts (specifically - whether or not "base tier" was guaranteed when DISH created the DishHD package in February of 2006) but allowing Voom to be an add-on initially can't help their argument.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...