Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VOOM sues Dish.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
177 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:33 PM

Unmentioned so far, one thing that is NOT in Cablevision's favor in the case is the fact that the initial Voom offering on DISH Network was a separate package of 10 channels for $5 that required purchase of the base "HD tier" for $9.99 . The parties know the contracts (specifically - whether or not "base tier" was guaranteed when DISH created the DishHD package in February of 2006) but allowing Voom to be an add-on initially can't help their argument.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking... This would only be a return to the original carriage status, albeit with more than the initial 10 channels, for Voom... so unless they have an amended contract somewhere that guarantees them some preferential placement, it seems to me they have no leg to stand on and are just risking violating the contract themselves by even pursuing this.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:01 PM

BTW: The status of the preliminary restraining order and injunction at the court website is showing as "open" with no decision linked. (Perhaps that is why the Voom channels are not in Essentials tonight?)

It is case 600292/2008 (for those who like to track these things) --- and as noted in the NFL thread, it is the same judge!

#23 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:21 AM

We practically need a subforum for DISH and the courts. Wow.

At this point, the subforum idea seems like a good idea.

Just how expensive is the Voom deal to Dish per HD subscriber? Anyone know?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:48 AM

Just how expensive is the Voom deal to Dish per HD subscriber? Anyone know?

When originally added, at 10 Voom channels, it was a $5 add-on.

Later it became part of the $20 combined package for all HD.

Now it is part of the $10 difference in price for the Ultimate vs the Essentials pack... but there are 15 Vooms in there + 5 other non-Vooms.

So... all we know is that it is less than $10, since those other channels are worth something... but may be more than the original $5.

#25 OFFLINE   Austin316

Austin316

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:20 AM

When originally added, at 10 Voom channels, it was a $5 add-on.

Later it became part of the $20 combined package for all HD.

Now it is part of the $10 difference in price for the Ultimate vs the Essentials pack... but there are 15 Vooms in there + 5 other non-Vooms.

So... all we know is that it is less than $10, since those other channels are worth something... but may be more than the original $5.

I am sorry but everyone please let Voom Die.

Either way they loose a customer. I plan on downgrading to essentials when my free HD months are up. So voom looses a viewer ( not to say I watch voom past the first week of of having Dish HD as voom still running same crap they were back in late dec when I got dish HD)

Option 2 I cancel HD all togther and pay the 6 dollar plently fee each month for having a HD box and no hd.

Option 3 Drop Dish all together if I could not drop voom.

Either way people are going to drop voom.

HDnet is even repeative and I cant find stuff to watch on anything on the DISHHD Ultimate pack. I would trade voom for USA and SCI-fi FX and either CNN or Fox News... Comedy Central. ETC.

#26 OFFLINE   buzzcut

buzzcut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:53 AM

i just went from HD Ultimate to HD Essentials on Feb 27th.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

HDnet is even repeative and I cant find stuff to watch on anything on the DISHHD Ultimate pack. I would trade voom for USA and SCI-fi FX and either CNN or Fox News... Comedy Central. ETC.

Couldn't ignore this part of your post... You find HDNet repetitive, and Voom as well... but don't think USA or SciFi or FX are repetitive?

I've seen nights where on FX the same movie comes on back-to-back! That's repetitive to me.

It's a fair point to complaint about repetition... but please be fair and note that many of the channels you'd trade Voom for are also just as repetitive.

Now, if you like the programming on SciFi better than a particular Voom channel, that's cool. I don't watch Ultra at all, for instance, on Voom... but to state Voom is bad because it is repetitive, and then turn a blind eye to the same kind of repetitiveness on another channel makes no sense to me.

#28 OFFLINE   Austin316

Austin316

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

Couldn't ignore this part of your post... You find HDNet repetitive, and Voom as well... but don't think USA or SciFi or FX are repetitive?

I've seen nights where on FX the same movie comes on back-to-back! That's repetitive to me.

It's a fair point to complaint about repetition... but please be fair and note that many of the channels you'd trade Voom for are also just as repetitive.

Now, if you like the programming on SciFi better than a particular Voom channel, that's cool. I don't watch Ultra at all, for instance, on Voom... but to state Voom is bad because it is repetitive, and then turn a blind eye to the same kind of repetitiveness on another channel makes no sense to me.

Ok maybe I should put it this way

FX , Sci-fi , USA are repeative but they are repeative on shows people actually want to see. I am a big Starcraft and WoW player. But I am sorry how many times are Gameplay going to show the Blizzard world wide inventational from 07.

I like the concept of voom but really feel that the could condense channels to reduce repeative . Like take 4 of the speciality movie channels and just make it one.

Basically I shown people Voom and they are all impressed with it until they go to see what else is on and they see constant repeative content. With no real public schedule to add more.

At least I know with USA, Sci-fi , etc that they have prime time content that is in HD. Which like any broadcast network with have there season and there off season. I could really care less what is not in "Prime Time" Be it on Voom or Cable or Broadcast networks.

I do take back the comment about HDnet because while it really not a channel I got into they are no where as bad as Voom channels are.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:40 AM

Let's stay on the topic of the Voom vs EchoStar lawsuit, shall we? This isn't about the desire for other channels. We have a rant thread in the DISH HD forum for that.
:backtotop

FYI: Cablevision announced it's annual numbers today for 2007 ... according to the report, there were 300,000 Voom subscribers Dec 31st, 2006 and 1.8 million Sept 30, 2007. As of the end of 2007,r 2.1 million people have Voom. This includes DISH Network HD subscribers (HD Ultimate) and Cablevision subscribers.

The lawsuit was filed January 31st, before the new HD packages went into effect.

#30 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

That's interesting numbers. Wonder now many of those are from Cablevision? If it's 1/3 then that means E* only had about 1.5 million HD subs at the end of 2007. About 10% for their total subscriber base.

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

I'd say 1.5 million would be a fair guess ... perhaps high.
Cablevision did not begin to announce their Voom subscriber count until 2007.
Some of the 1.8 million in September were Cablevision subscribers.

I hope we will see better numbers in court documents ... the one positive thing about everybody suing DISH Network is the disclosures in court documents of numbers that DISH (and DirecTV) do not normally give out. :D

#32 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

I have to say that for me there is content I like on the VOOM networks. However, as everyone else often notes, there is not enough NEW content. I'll probably drop down to HD Essentials come May when my 10 months of 1/2 off HD offer ends.

#33 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Is Voom really worth ten dollars more a month, not for me I decided I would rather have STARZ instead.

#34 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:59 AM

If offered the 1 cent deal on Voom like Cinemax I wouldn't take it if it means fewer nationals with new primetime programming. And right now, that's what it means.

However, I want Universal HD and HDNet Movies, so I'll pay the $10 with or without the Voom channels.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#35 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:57 AM

Cablevision did announce their HD sub count and it was over 1 million giving cablevision HD penetration
of 33 percent. SO E*'s HD subs is slightly over 1 million for a penetration of about seven percent. Why is E*s penetration so low? E charged 20 for HD and 5 for locals and only provided 4 HD locals in 35 markets and does not have HD rsns for many large markets. Cablevision does not charge for HD or locals. and cablevision provieds at least 7 HD locals and 4 HD rsns to all subs. cablevision provides YES HD which E* does not even have carriage agreement.

#36 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:00 AM

If offered the 1 cent deal on Voom like Cinemax I wouldn't take it if it means fewer nationals with new primetime programming. And right now, that's what it means.

However, I want Universal HD and HDNet Movies, so I'll pay the $10 with or without the Voom channels.

yeah same here. i want the unhd and hdnet so i have topay the $10. voom alone isn't worth that. besides the fact that voom isn't investing much for new programming they decide to sue dish is incredible to me! they should do this to dish :gott:

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,705 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

That's not what it means. Voom is absolutely NOT preventing new HD channels from launching on Dish. Follow the uplink reports and you'll see some empty transponders, space for channels on others, and a few channels already "uplinked" but not yet active for subscribers.

Unless and until all that is full and active, you can't even begin to "blame" Voom for keeping channels off Dish. It simply is not true.

#38 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:26 AM

That's not what it means. Voom is absolutely NOT preventing new HD channels from launching on Dish. Follow the uplink reports and you'll see some empty transponders, space for channels on others, and a few channels already "uplinked" but not yet active for subscribers.

Unless and until all that is full and active, you can't even begin to "blame" Voom for keeping channels off Dish. It simply is not true.

that is correct but in my opinion for the way voom is acting against dish and the poor effort they put towards new programming they are not worth even $10
as far as them preventing dish from adding channels you are 100% correct that this is not the case. :new_cussi

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,482 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

What everyone is assuming is that if Dish were not carrying Voom they wouldn't have used those 15 channels for other HD last October. I find that hard to believe.

My AV Setup

#40 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

I do not understand according to James Voom has to produce a certin # of new program hours. Voom is not doing this so why is Dish still keeping Voom?? Why not drop them and add more popular HD Channels???
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...