Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Playstation 3 Questions...Wireless?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Guttboy

Guttboy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

I went to You Tube and there are a TON of videos on there demonstrating the use of the internet on the PS3! Just search for PS3 Internet......if anyone is looking for the same thing!
GO RED SOX!!!! 2007 World Series Champs.....Yeah I was there!!!!
GO PATS!!!!

HR-20 700 to Toshiba 42" LCD
HR-24 200 to Samsung 55" LED
D12-100 to Insignia 22" LCD

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

Until 1.1/2.0 profile Blu-Ray players really hit the market, if you wanna get into Blu-Ray now, IMO, the PS3 is the only way to go for Blu-Ray at the moment. The PS3 is already 1.1 compliant, while most of the current standalone players are only 1.0 compliant and cannot be upgraded. The PS3 is very upgradeable, which is why it is the way to go(I've had mine since fall of last year).

As for the web browsing, without a keyboard, it is clunky, so I suggest getting one of those newer Logitech Bluetooth keyboards, if you are gonna use it for a lot of web browsing.

FYI on the 40gig vs 80gig, besides the harddrive size, there is another difference between them. The 40gig version does NOT support any PS2 games, at all, while the 80gig does support them, but using software emulation(if you really want hardware emulation for older PS2 games, you'll need to somehow find a 60gig version).

#23 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

I found one of the last 60 gig units on eBay last Nov.
The 60 gig units feature hardware PS2 emulation and are fully backwards compatible (I can't verify this to be honest).
The 80 gig units utilize software emulation and are not 100% backwards compatible (I am told).

My unit jumped on my wireless network instantly, and I am happpy to report no probelms since.
It displays and plays all my digital content from my pc with either TVersity, or WMP 11.
Vey cool.
When you play MP3s the PS3 will generate a number of user selectable graphics shows to embelish the screen with, WAY cool.
The slide show feature is very cool as well with a selection of special effects.

SATA hard drives in these units can be upgraded very easiily..

BlueTooth controller range is great, I wuld alo recommend the movie controller.
We have been using a usb wirelss keyboard and mouse for web surfing and again report no problems or set up hassles.
The browser does need some work however

Do be careful with your rack mount as the PS3s run very hot, and need good air circulation.

Given all of its fire power, and features I would have to say that my PS3 was the single greatest addition to my home theater since my HDTV.
Games
media
internet
Blu-Ray

Its aweome

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#24 OFFLINE   sheureka

sheureka

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

I have a Stowaway BT keyboard and mouse that I use with my phone (an HTC Tilt). They both paired up immediately and work great with the PS3. - sheureka

#25 OFFLINE   Jerry 42

Jerry 42

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

I have the 60gig version PS3. Yes it plays PS2 games gets new features when upgrades (via net) come out. It plays BR and does an reasonable job up scaling DVDs too.

I don't know what vendor has this model any more - I got mine at Costco but it was a long time ago. The remote and keyboard are worth buying was well.

#26 OFFLINE   flexoffset

flexoffset

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

I've had the 80GB PS3 since Christmas.

The Web browser works fine for youtube. Other sites that have different video formats such as NASA won't play on mine. I go to wunderground and youtube but that's about it. Don't expect the browser to be all that great.

Mine is hooked up wired to Linksys WCG200 but it will go wireless (as everyone already said).

Be sure to buy an HDMI cable while you are out (or order one from monoprice.com)

D* | 2ea HR24-500

#27 OFFLINE   Guttboy

Guttboy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

I found one of the last 60 gig units on eBay last Nov.
The 60 gig units feature hardware PS2 emulation and are fully backwards compatible (I can't verify this to be honest).
The 80 gig units utilize software emulation and are not 100% backwards compatible (I am told).

Do be careful with your rack mount as the PS3s run very hot, and need good air circulation.

Its aweome

Steve,

They have 60 GB units all over town here in Albuquerque....I called Toys R Us and Kmart and they both had them in stock for anyone that may be interested. I also do not have any PS2 games so that is not an issue. Excellent point on the circulation in the rack....I may not put a custom faceplate on it and place it on the bottom of the rack!

UPDATE: I ordered the 80 GB Motorstorm pack and an extra controller from Amazon yesterday and hopefully it will arrive on Thursday. As far as connectivity goes....I already have HDMI cabling so that is not an issue. I will, however, be purchasing an HDMI switcher so that I can send it to either TV I want to use it for.

Thanks for ALL the help folks!!!! Great info as always here!!!:D
GO RED SOX!!!! 2007 World Series Champs.....Yeah I was there!!!!
GO PATS!!!!

HR-20 700 to Toshiba 42" LCD
HR-24 200 to Samsung 55" LED
D12-100 to Insignia 22" LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...