Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA HD Channels, do I get guide info?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

I'm getting a 722 installed next week and I planned on getting locals OTA and not through Dish. How do the locals show up on the 722, and do they have guide information even if I don't subscribe to them through Dish?

Also, anyone know if the 722 comes with a HDMI cable?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:31 AM

You will NOT get a guide for your local channels without subscribing to Dish locals. Even the digital channels.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

You can still set up a manual timer just like a VCR.. No guide data unless you pay E* $5 a month for it.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#4 OFFLINE   tmanmi

tmanmi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:40 AM

What I find weird is that my dish locals are in one dma and my ota locals are from another dma but the ota locals do show up in the guide with info. It it just because they happen to be the same network?

I also can't record both the same network on dish and ota locals at the same time. I like to record my ota's because they are in hd and use the dish non-hd locals as a backup in case I have a drop out on the ota.

#5 OFFLINE   AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thanks, this kind of sucks because I thought I'd be saving $5/month. I guess I'll see how it goes before I order locals.

Why can't you record your OTA and sat locals at the same time?

What I find weird is that my dish locals are in one dma and my ota locals are from another dma but the ota locals do show up in the guide with info. It it just because they happen to be the same network?

I also can't record both the same network on dish and ota locals at the same time. I like to record my ota's because they are in hd and use the dish non-hd locals as a backup in case I have a drop out on the ota.

#6 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

As long as you're subscibing to some locals, the guide information will usually appear for neighboring locals that can be received via OTA (there have been some noted exceptions to this).

There should be no reason that you shouldn't be able to record the same network on OTA and satellite at the same time. The only thing I can think of, is that the receiver will automatically "X" out the 2nd recording thinking it's a duplicate. You have to go to the schedule and override the "X" to make it record the same show twice.

#7 OFFLINE   tmanmi

tmanmi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

As long as you're subscibing to some locals, the guide information will usually appear for neighboring locals that can be received via OTA (there have been some noted exceptions to this).

There should be no reason that you shouldn't be able to record the same network on OTA and satellite at the same time. The only thing I can think of, is that the receiver will automatically "X" out the 2nd recording thinking it's a duplicate. You have to go to the schedule and override the "X" to make it record the same show twice.

Yes, that's what it does, "X" out the second recording. I will try to override it tonight.

Thanks for the tip.

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

Thanks, this kind of sucks because I thought I'd be saving $5/month. I guess I'll see how it goes before I order locals.

Why can't you record your OTA and sat locals at the same time?

If you have DVR advantage subbing to locals are required.

I held out on subbing to my locals because the quality of the SD locals via satellite was not as good as what I could get OTA. When this year's price increase was announced it made sense for me to get DVR advantage. My bill went up $1.01 and I now get guide data and a second source for my locals.

I also get some OTA signals from a distant DMA - their guide data is included! The network affiliation of a distant local has no bearing on why you get the guide data. For example my local ABC affiliate has a habit of dropping the entire Saturday ABC prime time line-up. I can see what the other ABC affiliates are getting in my guide (unfortunately I only get distant ABC when the atmosphere assists - I do get a CBS & FOX combo - HD CBS/SD FOX on a sub channel, 24/7 distantly). As long as I keep the distant stations scanned in, I will see the guide data. The guide data is based on the call letters of the station. When you initally scan in any digital station PSIP data identifies the call letters of the station. Then the E* software matches the OTA guide to guide data they have for those call letters. I even get some sub channel guide data (but not when browsing?!?). This is with a 921.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...