Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fun PS3 project - 16 node 'supercomputer'

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

If this has been posted I couldn't find it - looks like the old story about Saddam Hussein buying all of those Playstation 2's has come full circle. Luckily these guys are using their powers for good - and a little physics research.

Few highlights:

Thanks to a very generous, partial donation by Sony, we have a sixteen PS3 cluster in our department, which we call PS3 Gravity Grid.

We are using "stock" PS3s for this cluster, with no hardware modifications. They are networked together using an inexpensive netgear gigabit switch. For Linux installation, there are several guides available on the internet. For YDL Linux, consider using the guide by Terrasoft Solutions. For Fedora Core 5/6, I found this guide particularly useful. For deploying a parallel job on this cluster, we use a code that implements a standard domain decomposition approach, based on message-passing (MPI). There are more details available on our code below. For compiling, we use GCC and also IBM's XL compilers for the Cell, that are available as part of IBM's Cell SDK. These are available from IBM's alphaworks site. The MPI distribution that we are using is the recently released, OpenMPI distribution for PowerPC Linux.

http://gravity.phy.umassd.edu/ps3.html

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

If this has been posted I couldn't find it - looks like the old story about Saddam Hussein buying all of those Playstation 2's has come full circle. Luckily these guys are using their powers for good - and a little physics research.

Yeah, saw this on yellow dog linux's website. But it's very custom written software.

I'm also sure it doubles as a nice heater in the winter!
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#3 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

Don't these people watch the Sara Connor Chronicles!
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

Protected By... spam firewall...And...