Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA Drive to Drive Copy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MirthFirst

MirthFirst

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

I want to copy from a one week old SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb, to a new Seagate DB35.3 ST37508408CE so that I do not loose my recordings. The Samsung is a high performance drive, but it has locked up on me several times ESPECIALLY after starting to use VOD.

Seagate offers a drive to drive copy capability with their DiskWizard but I do not know if this would work properly since the HR21-700 uses a derivative of Linux.

QUESTION:
Does anyone know what the best drive copy software would be?
I plan to download an .ISO image and burn a CD-ROM.

Thank you for your help.

Bill

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bergthold

Bergthold

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

I have never attempted what you are trying to do, but I don't think it will work no matter what software you try. That could be why nobody has responded to your post yet.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

I have yet seen anyone successfully "clone" HR20/HR21 hard drives.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Ghost with -ir parameter.

#5 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

Symantec Ghost.

Do a Bit-By-Bit copy. It will copy all sectors, regardless of what is on them.

I have sucessfully used this to image encrypted HDD's and put that image on to a new HDD. All of the encryption and security stay in place and are not defeated in any way, shape or form. The contents and the security are copied intact.

Should work, but you never know with these kinds of things. May be hidden boot straps, partitions, etc. that we do not know about and Ghost may not see.

spam firewall