Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Poor Reception

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

I previously had Sirius radio, but my new car only came with XM. The reception seems quite poor. There is one part of my commute which heads due east with a mountain to the south. I lose reception the entire way until I clear the mountain(Approx 20 seconds), plus it seems every bridge I travel under the signal drops out for a split second. This is very annoying. I never lost the signal in Sirius around the mountains and it was much more robust going under bridges.

Is this right? I mean this is very bad. How can they expect me to pay for such junk quality? And what about when spring comes and the leaves come out? Will I have a signal at all!?

I think there is a sirius tuner for my vehicle, which I would have to buy and install myself. This seems like the way to go.

What has been your experience?
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:32 AM

I have never had the opportunity to compare the two companies service, I only have XM. I live in a metro area and the transition from downtown(repeaters)to the rural areas is always smooth, no dropouts. Since having XM I have made a cross country trip and enjoyed it the entire time. If you radio is original equipment, it might be difficult to switch over as the car manufacturers usually produce an OE radio depending on their agreement with XM/Sirius. Good luck.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:11 AM

I think being in the mountainous and Tall-Treed northeast is part of the problem. Sirius sats have a higher look angle than XM which clears most obstacles. I wait and see, I have 3 free months to decide.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

XM drops out probably five times on my daily commute in the summer.

Not a big deal to me.

#5 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

I have one stretch of highway in my normal travels that drops out for about six seconds - a few more with leaves on the trees. I'm used to it now, not a huge deal to me.

#6 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

I have had both services recently... and my choice is XM... by a long shot... first and foremost, for content... to me, Sirius is much more 'talk' oriented... XM is for music... although, I HATE the commercials... I really hope they ditch the deal with Clear Channel...

Anyway... on to reception...

XM is excellent around here.. and Sirius is terrible... and I think alot of it has to do with terriestrial repeaters... XM has several around here and it really makes a difference...

Let me give you an example... There is an interstate overpass that I have to go under on my way to work everyday... It's only about the width of four lanes... so going 55 mph, I'm only under it for 5 seconds or so... With XM, I can STOP directly under the overpass (red light on one side of it) and it does not cut out... With Sirius, it would cut out when I go under it at full speed...

Here is a pretty good resource for checking the location of XM repeaters...
http://www.whatsonmy...s/repeaters.php

If you have google earth, go here and download the KML file...
http://www.dslreport...epeater-mapping
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:53 PM

I have both XM and Sirius at home, antennas are mounted outside, no reception issues, ever. I also have both in my SUV, very rarely do I ever get a drop out on either service. There is one spot were both drop for a brief second in the summer on my way to work do to a large tree hanging over the S-curves in the road. Outages are not a problem with either service for me.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#8 OFFLINE   weirdude2304

weirdude2304

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:29 AM

is there a way you can pull in the signal better? I've heard of people buying any antenna for sirius that makes it better to listen to (signal wise) is there one for xm like this?

#9 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

There are higher gain antennas for home use, I never saw any for car use.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#10 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

Have you ever had your radio refreshed? I know mine will start to crap out about every 6 months and a refresh fixes it. You need to go to their website and signup and then have it refreshed. In your account there will be a refresh your radio tab click it and follow instructions.

#11 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

I have XM and I too have about 5 places on my commute where the signal drops out. I also lose the signal for a second when I go under bridges.
Go Hoos!

#12 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:00 PM

Going down the Palisades Parkway in Rockland County NY is the main problem area. High trees and mountains block the Satellites and since it is parkland there are no repeaters around. It can go out for 10 seconds at a time.

This is a brand new radio and antenna so I may have to just get used to it.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

Protected By... spam firewall...And...