Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sirius signal strength weak

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tubbyaz

tubbyaz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:22 PM

Over the past couple weeks, I've noticed that driving around town (Phoenix AZ), my signal strength is mostly two bars, rather than the solid three I've experienced over the past couple years. Also getting a few dropouts here and there.

Don't have the same problem at home, as my external antenna is pointed directly at the spot over Pipestone MN where the satellites cross.

Did Sirius lose a satellite? Anybody else notice this symptom? Or is my Sportster Replay starting to die?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WillieWildcat

WillieWildcat

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

No problems with any of my Sirius tuners. It might be because of the antenna on your car might be having problems also. If the sheathing around the antenna's cable frays just enough to touch metal, it will cause a problem.

My wife has a tuner connected to her GM car (SIRGM1) and the antenna wire frayed and had this problem.
2 DirecTV R10 DVRs
1 HR21-700 HD DVR 1.5GB Internal
2 D10 Receivers
3 Sirius Receivers

#3 OFFLINE   sb40

sb40

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Here in Detroit low signal, outside 1=2 bars. In house 0 !

drops ALOT !

XM was better!
HR20
100/700

Miele The BEST Vacuum you can buy.

#4 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

I have always had a great signal here in Northwest Ohio but noticed recently some weird instances where the signal drops out and than back in all of a sudden. Thought it might be the local repeater though.

#5 OFFLINE   full moon

full moon

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:42 AM

Fact is , the reception for Sirius is a problem for many...

#6 OFFLINE   nhoJ

nhoJ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

In NJ with spring comes the leaves on the trees. The leaves can cause drop outs and poor reception.

I was just in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember seeing any tall oaks or maples. I do remember thinking that everything is so flat that I bet you get great reception. Maybe I was wrong.

#7 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

I am having the same problem today. I watched the signal level drop from three to two bars on the way home from town with a loss of signal at times.

I have not had this problem before....say this past Monday when I drove to a motorcycle dealer some 20 miles away.
No trees to block the signal most everywhere I go.

Sun activity maybe?
Yes, I have a television that I watch from time to time.

#8 OFFLINE   homeskillet

homeskillet

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

http://www.orbitcast...l-dropouts.html

Nationwide Problem it seems.

#9 OFFLINE   hjsiemer

hjsiemer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:11 AM

In one of the messages on the Orbicast website (www.orbicast.com) Sirius Customer Service posted some info on the signal problem in response to the problems that Sirius posted there. They state that they are performing maintenance and that the signal strength and dropout problems should stop by May 1.

#10 OFFLINE   hjsiemer

hjsiemer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:14 AM

Here is the post from Sirius Customer Service:

"We understand your frustration regarding this issue. What is
happening is that SIRIUS is currently conducting over-the-air
maintenance at this time which should be completed on April 30. Your
reception should return to normal either before or after that time.
SIRIUS appreciates your understanding of this matter."

Posted by: Sirius Customer Service | April 28, 2008 2:53 PM

#11 OFFLINE   allen98311

allen98311

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

In one of the messages on the Orbicast website (www. orbicast. com]) Sirius Customer Service posted some info on the signal problem in response to the problems that Sirius posted there. They state that they are performing maintenance and that the signal strength and dropout problems should stop by May 1.

The correct URL for Orbitcast is www.orbitcast.com

#12 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:09 AM

Thank you for this info...I was about to toss my radio out of the car yesterday the signal was so bad.

#13 OFFLINE   BAMAJAS

BAMAJAS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

Did they get the problem fixed yet? I just got Sirius and the reception is sketchy at best.

#14 OFFLINE   Skip1216

Skip1216

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:01 AM

Having the same dropout problem in Denver. The signal was rock solid up until a couple months ago and lately there are sometimes dropouts lasting several seconds up to a couple of minutes. Very annoying!

#15 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

The signal has been a bit better around here since the beginning of May, but it's still not all that great.

#16 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Reception in Philly area terrible in the car today. Drop in and out constantly.

#17 OFFLINE   hjsiemer

hjsiemer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

Someone that I knew from college is an engineer at Sirius. He said that the engineers are making changes to the hardware and software of both the satellites and repeaters in preparation for the merger of XM and Sirius.

He said that there have been many complaints to Sirius about the signal dropouts and that the executives at both XM and Sirius have given the technical staffs of both companies until Monday at 6am to have all of the updates made.

Originally the updates were to be complete by April 30, but as usual "unanticipated" problems arose from their beta testers. I asked him about the beta testers and how to become one. He said that emails were sent to about 5000 random (with the promise of a free radio and subscription) and just about each subscriber volunteered.

He said that the word around Sirius is that the merged systems will be operational in the 4th quarter of 2008 (just in time for xmas). ;)

#18 OFFLINE   Rugged

Rugged

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

My problem doesn't appear to be related to this issue but it is certainly annoying.

There is a 2 block stretch in downtown Nashville where I completely LOSE my signal. There are no buildings taller than 2 stories in this area and there are no trees or other things blocking my line of sight.

What else can be causing this type of interference. This isn't a new problem--i just finally decided to post about it.

#19 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:00 AM

My service continues to cut in and out. Maybe it is my Starmate. I have an older model.

#20 OFFLINE   spinner17

spinner17

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

In my car, I have no issues whatsoever. However, at home, I used to have a pretty constant signal - it would drop for a minute or two every so often, but it was relativly stable.

Now, I can barely get a signal at all in my house. I can spend alot of time repositioning my antenna, and eventually I'll get a signal that will last for five or ten minutes.

spam firewall