Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AMC-14 vs DirecTV-11

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,883 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

What sat D11 or AMC-14 will be first become functioning in orbit ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

What sat D11 or AMC-14 will be first become functioning in orbit ?

If I had to pick one I'd say D11 since it's by SeaLaunch so it's 'supposed' to get to geostationary orbit quicker, unless SES wasn't to blow their fuel budget to get it there quick.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

If I had to pick one I'd say D11 since it's by SeaLaunch so it's 'supposed' to get to geostationary orbit quicker, unless SES wasn't to blow their fuel budget to get it there quick.

Of course a DirecTV subscriber would pick the DirecTV satellite but it is scheduled to be launched 3 days later. In addition, D-11 is a spotbeam satellite that historically takes significantly longer for on-orbit testing. The AMC-14 satellite does have some newer technology that may increase its test time as well as the possible interference testing to 61.5 W when it is tested at 56.5 W. I would still guess that AMC-14 will be functioning on-orbit sooner.

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

Of course a DirecTV subscriber would pick the DirecTV satellite but it is scheduled to be launched 3 days later. In addition, D-11 is a spotbeam satellite that historically takes significantly longer for on-orbit testing. The AMC-14 satellite does have some newer technology that may increase its test time as well as the possible interference testing to 61.5 W when it is tested at 56.5 W. I would still guess that AMC-14 will be functioning on-orbit sooner.

So the fact that D11 is Sealaunch, which is supposed to get to geostationary orbit quicker then AMC-14's launch doesn't give D11 an edge? As for spotbeam testing isn't it possible that the CONUS beams could be made operational while they're still messing with the spots? Not saying that your guess isn't correct, we'll just have to see who's correct.

BTW, if AMC14 was SeaLaunch and D11 was ILS I would have picked AMC14.

#5 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

So the fact that D11 is Sealaunch, which is supposed to get to geostationary orbit quicker then AMC-14's launch doesn't give D11 an edge? As for spotbeam testing isn't it possible that the CONUS beams could be made operational while they're still messing with the spots? Not saying that your guess isn't correct, we'll just have to see who's correct.

BTW, if AMC14 was SeaLaunch and D11 was ILS I would have picked AMC14.

It is correct that it takes longer to remove the inclination from a satellite launched on a Proton compared to SeaLaunch but satellites also have to have their orbits circularized. If you take a look at the SeaLaunch website you can get details of what I am talking about. The one big factor that may make a difference is the mass of each satellite. D-11 has a mass of 13058 lbs while AMC-14 has a mass of 9127 lbs. I believe the larger mass will increase the time to circularize the D-11 orbit. Looking at the predicted transfer orbit numbers D-11 will have a much greater eliptical orbit than will AMC-14, ie., the perigee for D-11 is 250 kilometers versus 890 kilometers for AMC-14.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:53 PM

Okay.... better question....

D11 or AMC-14...

Which one makes the quicker impact to their respective customer base
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

Okay.... better question....

D11 or AMC-14...

Which one makes the quicker impact to their respective customer base

Dah, loaded question. :)

One is ConUS, the other is not.

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:14 PM

;)

but more seriously... ultimately either one will have an impact on their respective customer bases...

Maybe not directly in the home, but they are not just "throwing" them up there for the heck of it... ;)
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Which are you saying is what? D11 has CONUS along with Spotbeam, IIRC AMC-14 was just CONUS.

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

I know I added to it...

But let's not do this in this thread... lets wait till Wednesday when both Birds are safley in the air, then we can have the "which will impact customers first" debate in an General forum thread.

this threads is for the Dish Network launch, not for us to bump heads and chests about which is which...

Good luck to AMC-14 (Because if you have issues... I am certain that D11 will be delayed a few days to double check everything.... ) :D
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#11 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

Which are you saying is what? D11 has CONUS along with Spotbeam, IIRC AMC-14 was just CONUS.

While AMC-14 has a ConUS footprint, nothing at 61.5 west can be considered truly ConUS.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,883 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hooray ! AMC-14 beating D11 so far ! :D.

#13 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

Maybe not.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,883 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

Sorry to pronounce, but AMC-14 is DEAD. :(

#15 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

Sorry to pronounce, but AMC-14 is DEAD. :(

Ugh!!! I hope DIRECTV has better luck with D11. What a blow for Dish Network..

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:13 AM

Considering how the race between AMC-14 and DirecTV ended abruptly this thread is unneeded.

Condolences to Dish Network and it's employees as they handle the issue.
Best wishes to DirecTV that it's launch goes as well as the last Sea Launch.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...