Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk.com First Look: AM21; OTA Add-On for the HR21

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#351 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

Well then that just means it's warrantied forever. Or not at all. :whatdidid

I don't know itzme, you can make a case either way, so it's up to you. Personally, I'd let it be if it's working aside from the LED. But I wouldn't blame you for calling for an exchange either.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#352 OFFLINE   timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

Why does the documentation talk about analog reception, but the unit does not actually receive any analog stations?

Also, our Fox affiliate broadcasts as a sub channel of the CBS affiliate, but it is not listed even though it is much closer than the fox affiliate that is listed.
Phil B.

I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue! :D

My Setup

#353 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

Why does the documentation talk about analog reception, but the unit does not actually receive any analog stations?

You mean in the User's Guide that came with it? I don't see analog in it, but then I'm really tired and could have missed it.

#354 OFFLINE   greynolds

greynolds

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:11 PM

Is it possible to connect an AM21 and a USB to RS-232 adapter to the same HR21 without using the front USB port - are USB hubs supported?

I posted a long winded version a few days ago, but got zero replies - does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't have any USB hubs around, so before I go out and buy one it would be nice to know if anyone else has tried this and what the results were...

#355 OFFLINE   lady400

lady400

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:23 PM

Is anyone receiving WFAA (channel 8-1) in the Dallas area on the AM21? I have always had problems receiving it consistently, but the AM21 shows ZERO signal from the station. On other tuners I have at least received signal, although not always reliably.

This particular station is in the VHF range, and always seem to be a problem. All of the others (UHF) are coming in great, quite a bit stronger than I have experienced with other tuners. Odd.

#356 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

Is anyone receiving WFAA (channel 8-1) in the Dallas area on the AM21? I have always had problems receiving it consistently, but the AM21 shows ZERO signal from the station. On other tuners I have at least received signal, although not always reliably.

This particular station is in the VHF range, and always seem to be a problem. All of the others (UHF) are coming in great, quite a bit stronger than I have experienced with other tuners. Odd.

Are you sure WFAA is broadcasting digitally (ATSC)? If it is still analog (NTSC), the AM21 cannot receive it.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#357 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

I posted a long winded version a few days ago, but got zero replies - does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't have any USB hubs around, so before I go out and buy one it would be nice to know if anyone else has tried this and what the results were...

I have a bunch of spare USB hubs, but I don't have a USB>RS-232 adapter to connect with the AM21.

#358 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:02 AM

Also, our Fox affiliate broadcasts as a sub channel of the CBS affiliate, but it is not listed even though it is much closer than the fox affiliate that is listed.

The database that D* gets from Tribune determines what channels the AM21 (and the HR20 series) OTA tuners can tune to. If the database doesn't include a sub-channel (yet), then the AM21 won't list it, and you can't get it.

Sooner or later, the database gets updated and you will see it appear. Many times, you have to contact your local affiliate (tv station) engineer in charge, and ask him nicely to recontact Tribune with the proper data for the missing channel.

I had to do this locally and it took about a week or two for it to show up, but it finally did...and this is after waiting nearly a year for D* and Tribune to do it on their own. They (D* and Tribune), appear to be unable to do it correctly in every case, and the only recourse you have is your local affiliate's engineer in charge.

D* will be no help at all, and you have no leverage with Tribune, so get on the phone, do an email, whatever it takes (I emailed an talked to mine on the phone). He was terrific and very informative.

Be nice to him...it's most likely not his fault, and he is your only hope of getting missing channels to show up.
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#359 OFFLINE   lady400

lady400

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:58 PM

Are you sure WFAA is broadcasting digitally (ATSC)? If it is still analog (NTSC), the AM21 cannot receive it.

Absolutely sure. I haven't had a receiver capable of bringing in analog stations for years now. I just connected an AM21 to a 2nd HR-21, and it's coming in fine there. The units are on seperate antennas (long story), so I am sure it's just an antenna issue. The zero reading still surprises me though.

#360 OFFLINE   tsanga

tsanga

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:48 PM

The database that D* gets from Tribune determines what channels the AM21 (and the HR20 series) OTA tuners can tune to. If the database doesn't include a sub-channel (yet), then the AM21 won't list it, and you can't get it.

Sooner or later, the database gets updated and you will see it appear. Many times, you have to contact your local affiliate (tv station) engineer in charge, and ask him nicely to recontact Tribune with the proper data for the missing channel.

Weird, I have a sub-channel on a local affiliate that sometimes shows up in antenna setup (sometimes it's there after reboots, sometimes not, I have no idea why). But the channel is always there in my program guide.

#361 OFFLINE   PeteB

PeteB

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFalcon, Colorado Springs

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

I'm going to apologize in advance for having read less than half of this thread before replying due to urgency.

We're moving into a house less than 14 miles East of St. Louis, and DirecTV is coming out to install the dish and HR21 on the 6th.

I have additionally ordered an upgraded HR20 and SWM-8 from WeaKnees (shipping this afternoon), and I see that the AM21 is now available at Solid Signal for about $60.

Assuming I later do install an OTA antenna as a backup to work with the HR20, and then find that OTA reception could be better, will I be able to use an AM21 with the HR20, or does it only work with the 21's?

Obviously, as a total nugget in the world of satellite TV, I'm trying to figure this out as I go.

#362 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:21 PM

I'm going to apologize in advance for having read less than half of this thread before replying due to urgency.

We're moving into a house less than 14 miles East of St. Louis, and DirecTV is coming out to install the dish and HR21 on the 6th.

I have additionally ordered an upgraded HR20 and SWM-8 from WeaKnees (shipping this afternoon), and I see that the AM21 is now available at Solid Signal for about $60.

Assuming I later do install an OTA antenna as a backup to work with the HR20, and then find that OTA reception could be better, will I be able to use an AM21 with the HR20, or does it only work with the 21's?

Obviously, as a total nugget in the world of satellite TV, I'm trying to figure this out as I go.

Welcome to DBSTalk

The AM21 will only work with the HR21's.

#363 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

AM21 is for HR21 series only..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#364 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,741 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

It won't work with the HR20 as the HR20 does not have the code to recognize the device, much less disable the built-in tuners.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...