Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL, NHL, NBA customers should start to receive HD Swap calls this week

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

Customers with any one of those three sports packages that have MPEG2 HD equipment (who have not already swapped) will start to get automated calls this week informing them of a HD swap which is necessary for the upcoming season's HD games.

Customers that are on a do not call list, however, will not be receiving those calls but will be notified via letter in their renewal notices.

NFL Sunday Ticket SuperFan games will all be in MPEG4 this year. NHL and NBA the same for the 2008-09 season (though most are already in MPEG4 this year).

Just giving you the heads up. Installation availability will be dependent on where you live so we advise the sooner the better. Don't wait until just before the season starts.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch

Almost a new member

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

I thought that if you had a business relationship with the company, then they could still contact you even if you were on the DNC list?

This is great news! What's the source of the info?

#3 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:49 PM

He is the source. He works at DirecTV and works on the subscription sports packages. He joined the forum to seek comments on NASCAR Hot Pass and has since given info on NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass, Mega March Madness, MLB Extra Innings, and maybe other packages I have not noticed him help with. The moderators of this site have been shown proof that he does indeed work at DirecTV in the subscription sports department.

#4 OFFLINE   OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch

Almost a new member

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

He is the source. He works at DirecTV and works on the subscription sports packages. He joined the forum to seek comments on NASCAR Hot Pass and has since given info on NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass, Mega March Madness, MLB Extra Innings, and maybe other packages I have not noticed him help with. The moderators of this site have been shown proof that he does indeed work at DirecTV in the subscription sports department.

Ah, thanks. I'm new here, so I don't know who all of the reliable sources are :) Sorry.

Satelliteracer - Do you know if there will be specific upgrade offers associated with these calls? Or is it like normal, where the offers depend on your account history and/or the person you happen to be talking to?

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:27 AM

I thought that if you had a business relationship with the company, then they could still contact you even if you were on the DNC list?

You are absolutely right about the the first point that a business relationship with a company allows them to still call even if you are on the National DNC list. For customers that have actually asked DirecTV to put them on DirecTV's Do Not Call list, those people more than likely will NOT get these calls.

Chris Blount also posted the offer information shown above in another thread, so I would say in both instances that the information is solid:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=123118

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:38 AM

Also note... during that phone call (and other automated DirecTV phone calls)... they are giving the option to you to opt out of any future phone calls.

Their own internal Do Not Call list.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   heaphus

heaphus

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

Are they only calling people that don't have any new equipment? I already have a slimline and one HR20-100, but would love to upgrade my HR10-250. I am a sunday ticket/superfan subscriber. Should I get a call? Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   VandyCWG

VandyCWG

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:20 AM

Are they only calling people that don't have any new equipment? I already have a slimline and one HR20-100, but would love to upgrade my HR10-250. I am a sunday ticket/superfan subscriber. Should I get a call? Thanks.

I believe in the past, if you had any legacy equipment, you would get the offer to swap out the mpeg 2 stuff. DirecTV wants everyone on mpeg4.

Spring Hill, TN (Nashville DMA)

Receiving Equipment: SWM 3 Slimline | Full DECA cloud
Living Room: Mini C31 | LG 55" LED
Bonus Room: HR44-700 | Sharp 70" 3D LED | Sony STR-DN1040 | PS3 | Slingbox Pro-HD | Slingbox SOLO
Master Bedroom: HR24-500 | Westinghouse 40"
Man Cave: Mini C31 | 
LG 55" LED
Computer/Networking: Windows 7 /WMP12 | Netgear R6300 | 50/5 Charter HSI
Mobile Phones Verizon - Droid Razr MAXX, Rooted 4.1.1

#9 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

I think (think, mind you) the key is people with legacy equipment that has not been swapped out. I have an HR10-250 currently active on my account, but I also upgraded it to the HR20-700 when I moved - just kept it active anyway. I would not expect to get any phone call or offer on that one.

If you have an HR10-250 that has not yet been swapped out but also have the newer HD DVR, you still might get an offer.

Not sure how they would handle an HR10-250 that had been swapped out already on someone else's account (like a person bought one on eBay and the original owner had already swapped it). I would guess there wouldn't be an upgrade offer on one of those.

#10 OFFLINE   demisod

demisod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

I had hoped they would have made a formal announcement about mirroring programming off the 110 & 119 on the new satellites before moving Sunday Ticket. If I have to have a new dish put in that can pick up all 5 satellites, I am SOL.

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

I had hoped they would have made a formal announcement about mirroring programming off the 110 & 119 on the new satellites before moving Sunday Ticket. If I have to have a new dish put in that can pick up all 5 satellites, I am SOL.

99.999% chance you are SOL.

If anything... they may broadcast the MPEG-4 versions from the 101/110/119 slots... but it won't be a "mirror"

At a minimum you will need one of the MPEG-4 receivers.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

I hope all the channels in the 70's convert to MPEG 4 real soon as you can really see a difference from MPEG 2

#13 OFFLINE   demisod

demisod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:05 PM

If I could make do with 101/110/119, that would be fine. I assume the MPEG-4 receivers would support MPEG-2 as well. Doesn't sound too likely though. I doubt enough of their sports subscibers would have LOS problems that would necessitate such a policy.

#14 OFFLINE   PurdueGradMem

PurdueGradMem

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

I hope all the channels in the 70's convert to MPEG 4 real soon as you can really see a difference from MPEG 2

Any speculation on when this could occur? I am having trouble with getting signal for the MPEG2 HD channels, and have been putting off having a tech come look at the Sat.

#15 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:18 AM

Any speculation on when this could occur? I am having trouble with getting signal for the MPEG2 HD channels, and have been putting off having a tech come look at the Sat.

I don't know when this will happen but givin the fact they are trying to get the last of the stragglers to convert I would think it would be fairly soon meaning maybe sometime this year or 1st 1/4 of next this is just a guess on my part however.

#16 OFFLINE   ktabel01

ktabel01

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

Are they also making calls to their MDU providers to get them off their a*! and make the upgrades? If I can't get these subs in HD, I'm not renewing, and I imagine there are a fair amount of people in this situation, with their money staying in their pockets instead of DTV's.

#17 OFFLINE   bigpuma

bigpuma

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:13 AM

I got the call yesterday. Of course I also got the call back in November for the same HR10 and I had already upgraded this same HR10 back in 2006 so this would be the 3rd time I "swapped" the exact same HR10 if I took advantage. I don't need another HD DVR so I will pass. :)
5LNB Dish (AT9) =>
DirecTV SWM 16 =>
HR22-100 (Main TV Room)
HR21-100 (Master Bedroom)
H23-600 (Office)

#18 OFFLINE   Talos4

Talos4

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

I got the call being a Hot pass subscriber several months ago, I have MPEG-4 gear, but I also have legacy gear. I upgraded an H10 in the rec room to an H20.

#19 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:39 PM

Customers with any one of those three sports packages that have MPEG2 HD equipment (who have not already swapped) will start to get automated calls this week informing them of a HD swap which is necessary for the upcoming season's HD games.

Does your omission of MLB mean that this season's EI package will continue to be MPEG2? I hope not, because of disc space issues.

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

Does your omission of MLB mean that this season's EI package will continue to be MPEG2? I hope not, because of disc space issues.

MLB EI had their calls earlier this year, if I recall correctly.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall