Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Those that know help me with protection plan clarification!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   keep amonte

keep amonte

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

I upgraded to an HR20 in November of 2006. I have been on the protection plan since 9/06/06. I specifically chose the plan based on the csr telling me that;
1. my equipment would be covered if it brokedown,
2. D* would ship me a new receiver free of charge,
3. my commitment date would not change.

My HR20 died in December 2007, I received a refurb HR20 then that was DOA, and received a new HR21 in January.
My new contract renewal states now January of 2010!:eek2:

I called D* and a csr as well as supervisor agreed with me and said this would be fixed and to call back in 1 week to verify. Well I called today and it was not fixed, but a helpful csr advanced it to the activation department and she told me it would take 3-5 days for the correction and for me to call back then.

Well, I called back regarding another issue and was told that the protection plan does not prevent D* from extending the contract at all, and that I will be stuck with my contract until 2010. Everytime I activate a card (for instance replacement receiver for faulty receiver) I will extend my contract. I viewed the contract for the protection plan online and could not find verbiage either way.
Anyone have an idea where I stand?
GO BLACKHAWKS!!!
GO IRISH!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JaeCay

JaeCay

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

protection plan works like this
owned is replaced with owned no new commitment
leased replaced with leased no new commitment
the only time a commitment can be added on protection plan acct is if you activate new leased equip to the acct. something like that were it adds a commitment and you are not replacing owned with leased has to escalated to the acct management dept and they are the only ones who can remove it.

#3 OFFLINE   or270

or270

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:24 PM

protection plan works like this
owned is replaced with owned no new commitment
leased replaced with leased no new commitment
the only time a commitment can be added on protection plan acct is if you activate new leased equip to the acct. something like that were it adds a commitment and you are not replacing owned with leased has to escalated to the acct management dept and they are the only ones who can remove it.

Where does it say that anywhere on Directv website I know it was there last year, now I cannot find it anywhere. will call Directv next and asked them about it.

update - talked to Directv(might have been the contract company N.E.W.) and they said it does not add to your commitment if you have the protection plan(or course we know how CSR's are)
HR34, H24-100

#4 OFFLINE   JaeCay

JaeCay

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:31 PM

It does not say. In the agreement it is something that dtv csr's should know. The only time a new commitment should ever be added to an acct is when new leased equip is added or if you replace and owned piece of equip with a leased piece of equip.

#5 OFFLINE   keep amonte

keep amonte

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for all your replies. The frustrating thing is that you may talk to 15 csr's and get a ifferent answer each time. My issue is that they refuse to mail or email me a written document that shows my corrected end of agreement date and to me that is deceiving! I just want something in writing so I have proof!
GO BLACKHAWKS!!!
GO IRISH!!!

#6 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:18 AM

There was a thread recently where The Merg put together a lot of great information. May be worth a read. If I remember correctly (and I don't always!), there was mention of the fact that if a replacement isn't ordered with a particular option correctly checked, or if a replacement is activated without a particular option correctly checked, the PP gets erroneously extended. I'd recommend reading through the following thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...n Plan Extended

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:32 AM

http://www.directv.c...assetId=P500014

;)

#8 OFFLINE   pacjag

pacjag

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:58 AM

PP contract: http://www.directv.c...contract_v4.pdf

It says nothing about extending the programming commitment for any reason. The person you spoke to lied.

#9 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for all your replies. The frustrating thing is that you may talk to 15 csr's and get a ifferent answer each time. My issue is that they refuse to mail or email me a written document that shows my corrected end of agreement date and to me that is deceiving! I just want something in writing so I have proof!

A lot of them don't know the correct answer and give you incorrect info. Maybe you should try an email and see if you get better results that way.

#10 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:09 AM

A lot of them don't know the correct answer and give you incorrect info. Maybe you should try an email and see if you get better results that way.

$ 5:99 for SD non DVRs & $ 7 :99 for HD DVRs

#11 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:13 AM

A lot of them don't know the correct answer and give you incorrect info.

$ 5:99 for SD non DVRs & $ 7 :99 for HD DVRs

From DirecTV.com:

One Low Monthly Fee
Get the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN for just $5.99 a month. This low monthly fee covers every DIRECTV® Receiver on your account.

#12 OFFLINE   tim81

tim81

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

i would email them the question off the contact us part of the website that way

a) you should get the correct answer

B) you would have it in writing

#13 OFFLINE   tim81

tim81

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

here's a little help from a manual:

http://www.directv.c..._web_manual.pdf

check pages 50 on for the warranty and protection plan info, nothing specific about the renewing of contract, but maybe helpful?

#14 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

From DirecTV.com:

One Low Monthly Fee
Get the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN for just $5.99 a month. This low monthly fee covers every DIRECTV® Receiver on your account.

I think not , it is $ 7.99 for Advanced Product AKA DVR , see Attachment :(

#15 OFFLINE   Scarpad

Scarpad

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:42 AM

Ok something I need clarified. I just purchased a Hr21 from Value Electronics, when I get it and call to activate it I was thinking of going with the Product Protection plan. My understanding is that no matter where you purchase this from you do not own it, it's Leased is that correct? And if I ever disconnect it after my committment I have to return it to DTV? Is that Correct?

No if this HR21 Breaks, even thou I purchased from VE, DTV will ship me another HR21? Is tht how it works? And my understnding is that replacement will most likely be a refurb? Do I have all my Ducks in a row?

Thanks Guys

#16 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:47 AM

Ok something I need clarified. I just purchased a Hr21 from Value Electronics, when I get it and call to activate it I was thinking of going with the Product Protection plan. My understanding is that no matter where you purchase this from you do not own it, it's Leased is that correct? And if I ever disconnect it after my committment I have to return it to DTV? Is that Correct?

No if this HR21 Breaks, even thou I purchased from VE, DTV will ship me another HR21? Is tht how it works? And my understnding is that replacement will most likely be a refurb? Do I have all my Ducks in a row?

Thanks Guys

Yes, it does not matter where you buy it from it is a leased unit unless you order from DIRECTV for I believe it is $480 now to own it.

Yes, if you deactivate the unit you have to send it back to DIRECTV or you will be charged the full amount for it.

Yes, if you have a problem with the unit you call DIRECTV and they will send you a replacement and it will be a refrub HR21 or HR20. If you have the protection plan there is no charge and no new contract. If you don't have the protection plan there is a $20 charge for shipping and a new 2 year contract.

#17 OFFLINE   DtvSlave

DtvSlave

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:23 AM

I think not , it is $ 7.99 for Advanced Product AKA DVR , see Attachment :(

I have the same thing on my website when i log in. It took me 2 days of calling various people before I found what i believe to be the truth. The 5.9 and 7.00 USED to be the old prices however it is all now only 5.99/mo.

If 7.99 is still showing on the website, comapre it to your last bill and you should see that you are in fact only being charged 5.99 on the actual bill. The lady told me bluntly that if someone is still being charged 7.99 (on their bill, not the website) it is because they have not called Directv and brought it to their attention and got it corrected.

Attached Thumbnails

• New Picture.jpg
  • New Picture (1).jpg

#18 OFFLINE   CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:19 AM

This is what mine says:

DIRECTV Protection Plan $5.99
Advanced Product
$7.99 Monthly

That is off of the web site under My Programming, kinda confusing, but $5.99 should be right.

#19 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

Check this thread if you're paying 7.99 for PP.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=123191

Protected By... spam firewall...And...